Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I burn Blu Ray DVDs with ASUS SBC-06D2X-U?

I have an ASUS SBC-06D2X-U external Blu Ray player/burner. On the package, it claimed to by both Windows & Mac compatible, however, it now seems it's only for Windows. I have tried burning Blu Ray, and it won't even keep the disc in the drive, it attempts to read it, then simply ejects it. I have tried playing a DVD movie, and that works fine. It will burn a single layer DVD, but not dual, and not Blu Ray. Every one seems to be moving away from Blu Ray burners, but it is still the most convenient format to share HD content, so I'm hoping that there is still some appetite for it out there. If I were to get something like Roxio Toast Titanium, would it come with some additional drivers that might help, or does it still rely on the drivers bundle with OS X? Is there some way I can create some sort of profile that tells my Mac how to "use" the burner? I'm sorry, I pretty much a n00b to Mac, generally everything is so easy, you don't actually need to know anything!

2014 Mac Pro, 3GHz, 8-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB Ram, OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks)

Basically, I want to be able to burn a Blu Ray DVD from Final Cut Pro, but I might get Roxio Toast Titanium too, just to be able to get a little fancier with the menus etc.

Any help greatly appreciated!

ASUS SBC-0

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 9:42 PM

8 replies

Sep 24, 2014 5:35 AM in response to Longshot421

How did you try burning a blu ray disc? From FCP X? When exporting to blu-ray, did you choose the blu-ray drive as output (instead of hard drive)?

Did it even appear as an option? If it did, then it should work.

Basically, I want to be able to burn a Blu Ray DVD from Final Cut Pro, but I might get Roxio Toast Titanium too, just to be able to get a little fancier with the menus etc.

By the way, Blu Ray DVD is an oxymoron;

but you can burn an AVCHD disc, which is basically the equivalent of a small sized blu-ray, but burned to a DVD. The limitation is in space available and therefore the possible duration of the movie (something like 40 minutes?).

This sort of disc can be played in a BR player or computer (but not in regular old DVD players).

Sep 24, 2014 8:52 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Blu Ray DVD is an oxymoron 😊 Oops. Yeah, I wasn't thinking. How embarrassing. Anyhow, to further describe the problem:

The drive shows up in FCP as an option to which I can burn. If I put in a regular, single layer DVD, it worked (2nd try, first try I got an error saying it had failed to burn because it had failed to calibrate the laser for the media, or something like that. I just ran it again, same disc and was successful). If I put in a dual layer DVD, it errors out and does nothing (sorry, I forget the exact error message reported) and I have to disconnect and reconnect the drive in order to get the "eject" button on the front of the drive to work. If I put in a blank Blu Ray disc, the drive spins up, tries to see what the disc is (I guess) and then just ejects the disc again. If I put in a regular DVD movie, it plays no problem. I have not tried to view a Blu Ray yet. Oh! And the time I successfully burned a DVD, now that I think about it, I first mistakenly just copied the .img file to a DVD, then I actually used the Drive Utility and burned the .img to a DVD that plays. I created the.img file from FCP when I couldn't get the burning to work the first time, but that was dual layer, which as I said earlier, seems to cause issues - I will try again to burn directly from FCP to a single layer DVD, since I know I can at least do that much. Then I will see if ASUS can be any help, since the fact that the drive won't even look at a blank Blu Ray disc and just spits it out doesn't seem like a problem with the Mac/ASUS relationship as much...?

Sep 24, 2014 9:13 AM in response to Longshot421

I don't have a BR drive, but if I try to share a Blu Ray in my iMac (which has a regular "Superdrive" DVD drive) I am able to create such "AVCHD" discs - like I said before, these are burnt on regular DVD but are like BR (except limited in disc space).

On the export settings for "Output Device:" I get either the hard drive or my superdrive - which reads "HL-DT-..... (AVCHD)" - note the AVCHD in the very name of the device.

So I wonder: when you try to export does the name accorded to your drive include the (AVCHD) at the end? If it does, then I would interpret as the drive not being seen by the OS as more than a DVD drive. This would likely mean that either some driver or extra software might be needed for actual BR drive operation? Just thinking out loud, as I never dealt with an actual BR drive myself.

Sep 24, 2014 10:05 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

The drive shows up in the OS (and in FCP) as "ASUS SBC-06D2X-U" (no "AVCHD" on the end of it) I have scrolled around on the ASUS site and found a couple of interesting things about this drive, in particular that the hardware eject button doesn't work under OS X (😕??) and that the user needs to essentially use the Disk Utility to interact with the drive (i.e. get it to show up in the device list, eject the disk etc.) - so that partially explains some of the odd behavior. Perhaps the "rejection" of the blank Blu Rays may just be an issue with that brand (Verbatim), or potentially just that spec, so maybe I'll try to find a different spec and/or brand to try - though it doesn't really explain why it won't burn dual layer. I'll have to play with it a little more. Curious if 3rd party software would unlock additional capability from the drive.

Sep 24, 2014 8:27 PM in response to Longshot421

Longshot421 wrote:

Any help greatly appreciated!

ASUS SBC-0

You definitely can burn Bluray direct from FCP X.

Toast will not give you much more in the way of "fancier menus" You might have a few more to choose from but FCP X and Toast are fairly plain in the menu stakes.

Toast is worth the money IMO as it can do lots of other stuff than just make DVD/Bluray.

BTW: Toast requires the Bluray plugin, make sure this comes in the deal.

I have no idea if your ASUS will work or not with a Mac.

My burner/player is an OWC and requires no special drivers.

Al

Sep 27, 2014 2:34 PM in response to Longshot421

Wow, this is pretty embarrassing. 😊 I think I've discovered the REAL problem, and it's that I'm not very good at reading.

SBC-06D2X-U = Blu Ray reader, DVD/CD writer

SBW-06D2X-U = Blu Ray/DVD/CD read/writer

My SBC-06D2X-U keeps ejecting the blank Blu Ray discs because it's not a Blu Ray writer. Man. I don't even know what to say. That's really silly. I remember reading the box very closely, or so I thought, to verify it could record Blu Ray discs. *sigh* Well, I guess I'll need to pick up an actual writer to see if I actually have any real problems with writing to them. Yikes.

Can I burn Blu Ray DVDs with ASUS SBC-06D2X-U?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.