Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted messages still showing up with timestamp

Hey all,

In previous ios versions, when you deleted individual messages from a conversion and then went back to the menu, it would move that conversation down the list to the last message in the conversation.

It seems that in the new ios after deleting a message the conversation stays were it was. So, if you delete all messages from today, the conversation will still stay with the other conversations from today, rather than being back down the list.

Seems a bit weird that the timestamp on the conversation remains at the last message despite the fact that it was deleted. I wonder if this can be fixed...

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 4:04 AM

I understand that nothing is really ever deleted these days , but from a continuity standpoint it seems like a bug if the conversation has an incorrect timestamp on it based on messages that are no longer there.

I only bring this up becuase the last ios didnt have this issue.

37 replies

Aug 31, 2017 6:24 AM in response to whitey810

yes i found a way and it worked in my apple i phone 6s+

i just kept iphone open with messanger and chat, then i opened facebook messanger on computer and deleted all the messages on messanger in computer.

and automatically it was all clear in apple phone. since with what we have logged in (computer/phone) there we should delete .

earlier i had over 500 messages in chat with one person, but now its all empty!

Aug 31, 2017 6:32 AM in response to Sudhakarsharon

Sudhakarsharon wrote:

yes i found a way and it worked in my apple i phone 6s+

i just kept iphone open with messanger and chat, then i opened facebook messanger on computer and deleted all the messages on messanger in computer.

and automatically it was all clear in apple phone. since with what we have logged in (computer/phone) there we should delete .

earlier i had over 500 messages in chat with one person, but now its all empty!

This thread is not about Facebook Messenger. It's not clear what your post has to do with the subject of this thread.

Sep 24, 2014 3:46 AM in response to whitey810

Hi, whitey810,

It's a normal situation that after deleting an message, you still see it on your iPhone. You know, when deleting an message, it's moved from the place where you see it, but it still exist somewhere on your iPhone. And the cache for the message is still there too. That's why you can see the deleted text messages in timestamp and spotlight. If you want to delete unwanted text messages completely, you should try a software to remove them from your iPhone permanently. I know SafeEraser is a good tool to erase information from iPhone.

Oct 9, 2014 9:33 AM in response to whitey810

I though maybe the IOS 8.0.3 would fix this but no, its still there.

When you delete a message, Ive noticed that after I delete a single text the time stamp from that text still shows up as if it were there even though the message is gone. It keeps the contact at the top of the messenger list even though the last message was actually deleted. Is there a way to disable this or make it accurately depict the last messages time that is actually in the message thread

Deleted messages still showing up with timestamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.