Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verizon iPhone 6 Signal Problem

I have an iPhone 6 64gb on Verizon Wireless. I have noticed a problem with my cell signal/reception. In an area where I have 5 bars in LTE, it will seemingly drop to 2 at random. Then, if I make a call, the bars will come back up to 5 after the call is complete. It will do this multiple times throughout the day. The other day I had 5 bars in LTE and tried to make a phone call. When I did, the phone dropped to 1 bar and I got multiple 'call failed' messages trying to complete the call. After I hung up, the bars would go back up to 5 in LTE. A couple of days ago, I had full bars in LTE but could not do anything with data. I had to shut my phone off and restart to get the data to work again. Is anyone else having this or a similar issue?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 5:05 AM

178 replies

Feb 12, 2017 11:33 AM in response to FrozenOceanMD

I am just now experiencing this issue after having the phone since it came out. iPhone 6, 64GB on the Verizon network.

My phone will go from LTE, to 3G to 1X and back again numerous times a minute, causing my battery to drain incredibly fast. I just went for an hour run with the cell signal off and listening to music with only a 10% decrease in battery. As soon as I turned my cell signal on, it immediately dropped 10% and then was almost dead within 30 minutes without running any apps.

My phone is way out of warranty so I think I'm probably SOL on this one but interested to see if anyone had any luck getting this fixed.

Oct 19, 2017 5:00 PM in response to FrozenOceanMD

Here is my resolution. Been selling telecom for 21 years and seen too many issues over the years with all makes/models. If your carrier is an LTE carrier, then they also have HSPA. Most carriers do voice/text over HSPA and data over LTE because LTE has faster data than HSPA. Where I am in Canada, LTE coverage is almost as good as HSPA but has it's poor signal areas. When you make a call, the phone will usually default to nonLTE and so you may see the signal strength jump as the phone bounces between HSPA and LTE. Cure for me is to turn off LTE and just use HSPA and the signal is a lot more stable. Another plus is slightly better coverage and longer battery life. If I was streaming movies all day, then LTE is better, but I can do that over wifi at home. LTE settings can be found in settings/cellular/cellular data options/enable LTE.

Sep 24, 2014 6:33 AM in response to FrozenOceanMD

I have the same phone and have been experiencing a similar issue with mine. While I haven't attempted calling out when it does it, I have tried accessing data and it just won't go. Happened last night on my home wifi as well...same as you, a power cycle solves the problem until it happens again. (It has happened daily since Friday)

My niece's 6 on VZW has been working fine, we were at the same location Saturday and when my phone would be unable to access data, hers was working just fine.

I have Reset Network settings but that didn't solve anything. I'm probably going to take it to a Verizon store or Apple store later today, not going to get complacent and outside of my 14 day window if this particular device is defective.

Sep 24, 2014 1:43 PM in response to SkyKing76

I Have the same issue I have to reset it to make a call I can only dial one call then I have to reset to call againg and my LTE signal gets lost or drop to 3G and x1 for no reason then it comes back after a few minutes I spent 35 min talking to verizon and they told me I need to take it to a Apple Store so they can double check the problem and they will replace it but the next problem I have is that none of the stores in my area have that phone in stock I'm going to have to drive 45 miles for a replacement phone that's if they can verify a hardware defect!! I forgot to mention I spent 1 hour with Apple while they try to locate a store and set up an appointment because nobody will take me as a walk in even with a defect phone only 4 days old and it's been a problem since day one!! This really *****!!

Sep 24, 2014 2:20 PM in response to Migue420

Migue, mine does that as well (the 3g and 1x thing). Please reply back here with how it goes at the Apple store. The Verizon tech I spoke with put an order in for my replacement but it won't ship until 10/17. If I can get it handled at the Apple store and walk out with a new phone I'd rather just do that, especially since the phone is 5 days old.

Sep 26, 2014 10:32 PM in response to FrozenOceanMD

Hey, similar problem here from day 1 on my 64gb iphone 6 (received Friday the 19th). I can only maintain 2 or 3 bars, never a full LTE signal in areas where I usually had full. I went through the whole troubleshooting process; network reset, erasing all data & resetting, went to the Verizon store for a replacement SIM card (in case it was faulty), none of which resolved the issue. A power on/off cycle or network reset does return my LTE signal to full 5 bars but within seconds to minutes they're back to a low signal, hence less battery life from signal drain.

OP- the reason you get full bars on a call but they go back down after it ends is because you might have "enabled data only" in cellular settings. Which means on voice calls you use 3G service (full bars) and when you hang up it returns to the poor LTE signal. I experienced this firsthand, regardless I still believe I have a defective iPhone 6.

Solution- Spoke and went through the whole Verizon wireless tech process to ensure it was in fact defective, so I can qualify for the 14 day return/exchange period. Now because the iPhone's are on backorder, past the exchange period (silver 64gb ships by 10/17), my VW tech/rep had to "verify" and notate into the claim that I'd still qualify for the exchange. So it turned out like this; had to order a new replacement 64gb iPhone 6 through the tech/rep at full price (to be reimbursed after a billing cycle), get a verification text sent to me of the time & date noting the exchange being honored, and so when I recieve my new replacement iPhone, I can send my defective one back rather than send the defect back now and be phone-less for the next month.

At first I thought fedex or Verizon had damaged my iPhone in shipping (the box & packaging was horrible & shoddy upon arrival but I just thought I was being too critical). So yea.. I think more or less, a few of us are in the same boat. Hope that helps everyone.

Sep 27, 2014 4:18 AM in response to ickylick

Thank you for your post. It sounds like our phones suffer from the same defect. I have tried everything myself, including adjusting almost all of the settings. I have tried it with 'data only' and 'voice and data'. What happens is that I will only have 2 LTE bars, then I will make a call and it will remain at 2 bars while I am on the phone. After I hang up, the bars will creep back up to 5 and remain there for like 30 seconds and then go back down to 2 bars. Like you, a power cycle will briefly fix the issue but then it goes back down to 2. I even got every iPhone 5 and 5s at my work to test and they all have 5 bars and i have 2. I even looked at a Verizon Galaxy and they had full bars too. I also ordered my phone from Verizon and had it delivered on the 19th, so maybe there is a bad batch of phones from that source. I have my appointment at Apple Store on Monday, hopefully I can get my problem resolved. Please keep us updated on if your replacement resolves the issue.

Sep 28, 2014 4:44 PM in response to SkyKing76

I'm having the same issue, but my phone seems to gravitate to the 3G network, even in areas where I typically get 4 bars of LTE coverage. My previous Iphone 5S didn't have the same issue, so I know it's not me or my location.

To get LTE service again, I have to toggle airplane mode on/off, at which point the phone will go back to getting LTE coverage again. This is so frustrating. I've already replaced my Iphone 6 once because of this issue, but I'm having the same issues with the new phone.

I'm using a 64GB Iphone 6 on Verizon. Located in NYC.

Apple, any insights into this?

Verizon iPhone 6 Signal Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.