Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to install Windows with Bootcamp

Hello. First, I do know this has been a recurrent trouble for a lot of Mac user who have tried to install Windows using Bootcamp. Believe me, I've looked it up both here in the Apple Communities and in saint Google. My situation is, however, that I have replaced my optical drive with a SSD, and now my optical drive works externally, via USB. Everytime I try to install Windows in a dedicated partition in the SSD, it just stays forever in a blank screen with blinking cursor.

Apple's troubleshot won't work for me, and I'm beginning to think that the issue has more to do with the optical drive itself. I tried:

1. To install Windows on the HDD instead of SSD.
  2. To unplug every USB (even mouse), except for the optical drive with Windows 7.
  3. To install it via USB stick (creating a bootable .iso with Disk Utility). In this case the usb stick does not even appear when holding option key.
  4. To try another Windows 7 version (32/64 bits).
  5. ...

I have even read it might be because of a bad installation of the RAM memory... this makes no sense?!

If anyone has encountered this same situation, I'd appreciate some help. Hope I can get this done, because Steam's Age Of Empires won't ever work in OS X :S

Thank you all for reading and helping!

MacBook Pro

13-inch, Early 2011

2,3 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

OS X 10.9.5

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 7:56 AM

If your Mac was originally configured with a built-in Optical drive, and it was later replaced, Bootcamp knows your original configuration and will not work properly in the modified configuration, because it uses your Mac's model string (found in About This Mac -> More Info -> System Report -> Hardware) for example, MacbookPro 11,3. The only supported method to install Windows is to restore the original HW configuration and install it and then move hardware around.

Please see Unable to Install Windows 8 on secondary Hard Disk .

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2014 7:56 AM in response to cwasdqwe

If your Mac was originally configured with a built-in Optical drive, and it was later replaced, Bootcamp knows your original configuration and will not work properly in the modified configuration, because it uses your Mac's model string (found in About This Mac -> More Info -> System Report -> Hardware) for example, MacbookPro 11,3. The only supported method to install Windows is to restore the original HW configuration and install it and then move hardware around.

Please see Unable to Install Windows 8 on secondary Hard Disk .

Trying to install Windows with Bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.