Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: When my iPhone rings so does my iPad. Just started doing this since I did the ios8 update

WWhen my iPhone rings so does my iPad it just started doing this when I updated to ios8 why?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on

Question marked as Apple Recommended
Answer:
Answer:

That's a new feature in iOS 8 called Continuity. You can turn it off in Settings>FacetIme>iPhone Cellular Calls>Off if you do not want to answer or make calls on your iPad. Your phone and iPad must both be running iOS 8 and be connected to WiFi.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Question marked as Apple Recommended

Sep 24, 2014 11:39 AM in response to Twiggysue In response to Twiggysue

That's a new feature in iOS 8 called Continuity. You can turn it off in Settings>FacetIme>iPhone Cellular Calls>Off if you do not want to answer or make calls on your iPad. Your phone and iPad must both be running iOS 8 and be connected to WiFi.

Sep 24, 2014 11:39 AM

Reply Helpful (9)

Sep 25, 2014 3:06 PM in response to Demo In response to Demo

Hi, I just got off the phone to Apple Support, my second call on the subject. My first call a day or two ago was answered by a rep who told me to turn off Handoff to disable Continuity. Today, the rep had the correct info: A FaceTime setting of all things!!

Both he and I are submitting a feedback to Apple Development to change how Continuity works. Rather than turn it off and on, there should be additional function and settings so an iPhone user can decide what happens when the iPhone switch to go to Silent/Vibrate mode also disables the Continuity feature from ringing another device (e.g., iPad).

Let's see what happens.

Sep 25, 2014 3:06 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Sep 25, 2014 3:09 PM in response to Demo In response to Demo

The setting is on the iPhone and on the iPad, and can be turned off on either one. If turned off on the iPhone, no devices will ring when the phone rings. If you turn it off on the iPad, that device will no longer ring, but other devices shareing the same FaceTime ID probably will.

Sep 25, 2014 3:09 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 29, 2014 1:52 PM in response to zjdeere In response to zjdeere

zjdeere wrote:

I have the same issue. However, it's with my iphone 5 and my daughter's iphone 5c. When anyone calls either of our cell numbers - both phones ring. Help!

The fix is the same. Turn off iPhone Cellular Calls under Settings->Facetime or Use different Apple IDs on each iPhone.

Sep 29, 2014 1:52 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Twiggysue

Question: When my iPhone rings so does my iPad. Just started doing this since I did the ios8 update