Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 8 - Deleted Text Messages

So, in the past as far as I can remember, if you delete the last message someone sent you, the whole text message thread will not be at the top of your Messages homepage, am I correct?

Now, If I delete a few texts someone sent me (but not the whole thread or conversation, if you will), the thread sits on top of my Messages screen but without the recent texts, making it rather difficult to deny deleting texts!

ANY SOLUTIONS? IS THIS A BUG?

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 3:08 PM

30 replies

Nov 21, 2014 2:03 PM in response to RLiranzo

Close the text app (Messages) from the task manager. When you re-open it, the trash can should be back. It should not be necessary to reboot the device. (Press and hold text message, select More to flag texts for deletion. After you've selected one, you can use the radio buttons to select others in the same thread.). To delete all texts in a thread, just swipe the recipent(s) on the previous, index, screen. I don't know what causes the trash can to disappear in iOS 8.x.x.

Nov 25, 2014 1:37 PM in response to georgia404

I think I already answered this in the message to which you replied but I'll try again:

0. I don't know how to prevent the trash can from disappearing from time to time. To restore it:

1. Go to the home screen

2. Double tap the butron in the bottom of your phone to open the task manager.

3. Find the Messages wjndow and icon. Scroll the task manager sideways if necessary. Tap and hold the Messages window in the task manager and slide upwards toward the top of the screen to close it.

4. Tap the first window in the task manager to return to the home screen.

5 Tap the messages app to re-open it.

6. Tap the thread from which you want to selectively delete individual texts.

7. Press and hold one of the texts you want to delete. A dialogue will ask "Copy More"; select More.

8. The text you selected should be flagged for deletion and the trash can should now be restored to the bottom of your screen.

9. Tap the radio buttons in front of any other texts in the thread you want to delete, if any

10. Tap the trash can to delete the selected messages.

Notes:

* This doesn't fix the problem. Apple has to do that with an upgrade. But it does restore functionality with out having to reboot your phone.

* I only lose the trash can occasionally, maybe once a week or a little more often

* Only steps 2-4 above are additions to what one would normally do to selectively delete texts in a given thread.

* To delete a whole thread (a group of texts between you and one or more other people) from the list screen, just swipe to the left and tap Delete or tap Edit, radio button(s), Delete.

IOS 8 - Deleted Text Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.