Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 8.0.2 battery drain issue for iphone 5

HI,

I m using iphone 5 from past more than a year but i never face any battery drain problem and I m proved to tell my friends abt the great battery life of my phone.

but the problem is when i updated IOS 8 suddenly my battery life come down to half of the previous life. This is just because of no 2G option everytime we have to use only 3G and in 95% places no proper 3G signals and when we start browsing and using net we cant imaging how the battery will come down.

When all the mobile service providers are giving this option why only the apple removed.

When apple developers thing this is not mandatory option in the future at least try to develop how to give battery life as what we are getting in 2G service.

Or please advice me how to re install IOS 7.

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 4:37 AM

20 replies

Oct 11, 2014 5:14 PM in response to ck.kai

The battery drain on the iPhone due to the iOS 8 is currently a trending issue which APPLE claims to be working on right now for the next upcoming update.

Agreed to the fact as the iPhone 5 is compatible to 4G Network due to which the Disable 3G option has been removed from the Cellular Settings.

You may use some of the below tips to work on the Battery Life:

1. Use of DND mode the most when possible maybe in the night time or when in a meeting,

2. A new option available in PRIVACY > LOCATION SETTTINGS > When Using, Always, Never.

Switch some application to NEVER which you do not use.

3. Switch the Display and Brightness to AUTO BRIGHTNESS,

4. Turn OFF the Bluetooth and WiFi option when not needed,

5. Turn the REQUIRE PASSCODE duration to the lowest option i.e. After 1 Min,

6. If possible use a DARK BLACK wallpaper,

7. In the MAIL Setting, turn OFF the FETCH Setting by selecting MANUALLY.

Let me know if you have already used these settings and still facing issues..!!

Oct 12, 2014 3:53 AM in response to Abhishek D.K

I turned all that off and still facing same problem. Now I am on 14 pecent of battery. No. It is 10 now. When I send this replay it will be less more. It is strange actually that apple admit problem with battery in some iphones 5 that is produced last two years but mine serial number is not on the list. I have called costumer service and they can't help me.

Oct 14, 2014 6:51 AM in response to ck.kai

I too am having the same issue on my iphone 5. I've charged the device to 100% set the phone airplane mode, turned off push mail, turned off background app refresh, turned off location service, and then unplugged the phone. I left if alone for 1 hour and checked the batt level, it had fallen to 79% in one hour with NO load at all. But that really can't be. What I think is going on is that there really is a load on the device even when it's at idle, that really the CPU is being taxed all the time for some reason, that would explain why the phone is hot to the touch, and why recharge time are much longer. So if I turn on the phone to a usable state (WiFi, cellular, locations services etc) my batt. drain is so high that I have less then 3-4 hours of standby (not using the phone, but letting is sit idle so to speak). Apple we don't have to tools to debug this nor should we, that's your job, but it would help if we can see what process is tieing up the CPU all the time, then we/you can pinpoint the issue.............

Oct 14, 2014 11:37 PM in response to ck.kai

im using 8.0.0 in a 2 weeks... their are no battery problem at all, but the problem now is my cellural data are always drop on NO SERVICE means that my cellular signal are getting weak so my battery may be affected to.. so in 2 weeks of using a 8.0.0, ill try to update 8.0.2 that maybe its a bug on 8.0.0. after i update 8.0.2 my battery 3x faster to drain even i dont use it but my wifi is on... i try to factory reset my phone but STILL!!! my battery drain 3x faster than a normal use!!! i hope 8.1 will fix this CRAP! update!

Oct 14, 2014 11:59 PM in response to makersfly

Does anyone at Apple ever reads these posts and whether we respond when they will release update. Using the iPhone is no longer a pleasure. We have already become the subject of mockery. Before the update 8.0.2 was the perfect device on which many envied, always had a flaw that the battery is quickly spent, but this is terrible.

Oct 15, 2014 7:46 AM in response to ck.kai

ok here is what I am prepared to do. backup my iPhone setup as a new phone, then install apps one by one.

not what I recommend as a solution for the masses but I'm an engineer and used to having to go to extremes to get things

working.

===================side banter about iOS 8 below=============================================

ironically the iOS 8 default whatever version it was when it was released worked great and zero battery brain issues.

the only weird issue i had with iOS default was audio, sometimes i had to remove my headphone and then plug them back in to see the audio

volume rocker work, then it fixed it. I'm sorry i upgraded. 100% charge this morning left it on the charger all night.

i have not hanged my activities, by this time on a normal day id be in the HIGH 90% range battery left, I'm at 71% and falling 1% every 5 minutes.

i turned off all notifications and push email and rebooted my phone, the drain seems to have slowed slightly but still not usable.

================================================================================ ===

Oct 16, 2014 9:14 AM in response to ck.kai

Hello folks,

I have the same problem. After updating from 7.1.2 to 8.0.2 the battery life turns terrible, and even a short 3 minute call, the iphone got overheated.... Sooo hot, I mean. Worst iOS update that I ever installed. Apple must fix those terrible problems which came with iOS 8. (I felt the need to downgrade to 7.1.2 in order to turn mi cellphone useful again.. but surprise!... Apple does nor support downgrade to 7.1.2 any more...).

Meanwhile I tried a couple of things which partially helps (the battery life was improved and the phone is not overheating so much as initially). I hope this also will be useful for you:

1) I reset ALL settings (Included Phone and network settings. I suspect that Carrier settings could have some impact on this, when I upgraded it).

2) The obvious turn off of consuming apps and settings (Location services, Bluetooth, backgound application refresh, turn on screen reduce motion, personal hotspot, etc..)

3) Calibrate the battery: Discharge the battery until cellphone turns off, and make a full charge.

This helped to me and improved a little bit the problem of battery life and overheating. I hope this also could be useful for you guys, while Apple solves the problems of this HORRENDOUS iOS version. (or this BETA version, should I say..)

ios 8.0.2 battery drain issue for iphone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.