Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do some webpages not finish loading images when using cellular data instead of WiFi?

I'm using iPhone 6 64gb. The problem existed with iOS 8.0.0 and the iOS 8.0.2 update.

I have had trouble with webpages loading slowly over AT&T LTE. Sites with multiple images frequently have trouble loading all the images entirely. Instead, the unloaded portion of the image fills in with black or the image fails to load at all. If I switch to WiFi when available and refresh the page, the images will usually reload completely. I never had this problem with the iPhone 5s on the same websites.

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 11:29 AM

Using Safari?

I am using Safari, I turned off WiFi and loaded a page with 100 thumbnails, iPhone 6 iOS 8.x is indeed very slow even when on WiFi and LTE, not seen in the previous iPhone models, Agreed. When the page loaded, it was slow, did not load pieces and parts of the site, loaded at once and images are missing or, replaced with black or ½ way black, as you stated.

Refreshing the page loads everything immediately though not the images.

Since I created the site I am visiting, I know I'm using custom CSS to wrap the thumbnails to display as a "Polaroid" look, rounded corners. While typing here to suggest the loading delay on LTE is causing images to be skipped, I noticed that the page automatically kept loading though the images skipped and the images replaced with black or half and half did not load even after refreshing.

I thought this would be website-design related though a refresh would always kick in the images missed.

In my opinion, the images are not website-design related, this is due to a strong and noticeable delay with iOS 8.x. I have a Microcell with AT&T, it's a 4G LTE Microcell which I connected to for this test and, indeed, the iPhone 5 loads fine, the iPhone 6 has a delay which causes this issue.

It's not just your phone, mine is doing it too and doing this with full bars from an LTE Booster from AT&T. iOS 8.x related certainly, in my opinion!

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2014 11:29 AM in response to V_Neski

Using Safari?

I am using Safari, I turned off WiFi and loaded a page with 100 thumbnails, iPhone 6 iOS 8.x is indeed very slow even when on WiFi and LTE, not seen in the previous iPhone models, Agreed. When the page loaded, it was slow, did not load pieces and parts of the site, loaded at once and images are missing or, replaced with black or ½ way black, as you stated.

Refreshing the page loads everything immediately though not the images.

Since I created the site I am visiting, I know I'm using custom CSS to wrap the thumbnails to display as a "Polaroid" look, rounded corners. While typing here to suggest the loading delay on LTE is causing images to be skipped, I noticed that the page automatically kept loading though the images skipped and the images replaced with black or half and half did not load even after refreshing.

I thought this would be website-design related though a refresh would always kick in the images missed.

In my opinion, the images are not website-design related, this is due to a strong and noticeable delay with iOS 8.x. I have a Microcell with AT&T, it's a 4G LTE Microcell which I connected to for this test and, indeed, the iPhone 5 loads fine, the iPhone 6 has a delay which causes this issue.

It's not just your phone, mine is doing it too and doing this with full bars from an LTE Booster from AT&T. iOS 8.x related certainly, in my opinion!

Sep 28, 2014 10:30 AM in response to V_Neski

I'm having this same issue as well! Sometimes the pictures come out pixelated and sometimes they're half red or half blue or half black. Also, a lot of times they come out with a half formed picture and a bunch of static-y lines (like in the last photo). I've had this problem on LTE and Wifi and in Reeder 2 and Safari. What the **** Apple! Contacting Apple as to make sure this isn't a hardware related problem!User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Oct 7, 2014 5:45 PM in response to V_Neski

I have noticed this EXACT same issue on iOS 8, using iPhone 5S. Images sometimes partially load, resulting in either half black or strange "TV static" graphics. It is very odd, and I believe it's an Apple software or AT&T LTE network issue at this point.

When I switch to wi-fi only and shut off cellular data, everything starts loading fine again. Frustrating.

If anyone can identify the cause, please chime into the thread. Thanks!

Oct 11, 2014 4:51 PM in response to ryzer08

I am seeing the same exact issue with iPhone 5 and iOS 8.0.2. This was never an issue with iOS 7.

I have a wifi hotspot that's kind of slow and on many websites a lot of images simply don't load or load half-way and are pixelated and corrupt.

The same happens when my cellular connection is really slow.

When I'm on fast WIFI these issues disappear. It looks to me like this version of Safari is broken and cannot handle slower connections.

Thank you Apple for releasing garbage code. Please fix it.

Oct 12, 2014 11:58 AM in response to V_Neski

I'm also seeing this problem quite frequently on iPhone 4s on iOS 8.0.2 while on a 4G connection. Images either load up half-way with a black background behind where the image should be, or the image starts loading and it kind of looks like the bottom half of the image is either garbled or corrupted or blurry. It's understandable if images don't load up instantly on a mobile connection, but I don't see why it should be "timing out" like it is, or whatever the issue is. I can't remember ever seeing an issue like this in previous versions of iOS.

Oct 12, 2014 4:37 PM in response to V_Neski

I Am also seeing this issue on my iPhone 5s and it is bugging the **** out of me. Especially in emails since cannot refresh email with embedded jpg Sales flyers like a frys electronics ad. There are a bunch of blank black areas in the ad. This is just an example. this is over LTE or wifi. Have not tried turning off cellular though. The only pro of ios8 is Apple fixed the annoying issue of email search results in random date order(2013 emails show up in and around 2014 results with latest email being sometimes 10-15 emails down).

I Am also seeing an issue with maps having missing blocks or freezing. So I must almost summize there is an issue with image buffering. I was going to say it's issue with <iphone 6 but I saw some people complaining about iphone 6 having issue as well.

Anyway, this is unacceptable.

Oct 15, 2014 5:33 PM in response to konstantin102

I'm on AT&T with an iPhone 5 first gen. This problem is happening across iPhone4s al of the way to iPhone6+

Thought it was only affecting newer iPhones with new Graphic Processors but I later ruled that out.

Seems to only be happening on LTE / 4G. Is not affected on WIFI for me.
I clear cache, crash browser and even reset the phone but will still get unexpected results in LTE or 4G.

The images seem to be getting prematurely cached and are only partially rendering.

When I save the these half loaded images in photoshop I get a warning that they are damaged and/or truncated.

I have saved images out as PNG and JPGs renders poorly.

About the images-

These images are only 15k and there are 16 on the page so I can't see why they would get bottlenecked when loading.

also, there is no background-color of black anywhere in the CSS.

Note the TV-Like static on the bottom image similar to the comment ryzer08 above.

User uploaded file

NEXT IMAGE.....

User uploaded file

Why do some webpages not finish loading images when using cellular data instead of WiFi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.