Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Volume Problem

Sometimes when I hit my volume down button once, my volume is depleted to zero and will not go back up no matter what I do. even if I tap the volume up button or scroll the volume setting up on the song I'm listening to, it still goes down to zero. The only way to stop this is restarting the phone. It has happened 3 times already since I got my phone a week ago and is becoming a nuisance. Does anyone have this problem or have any suggestions??

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 12:21 AM

My problem is I brought the phone last week in New York and now I'm in New Zealand and no Apple Store in NZ

27 replies

Oct 3, 2014 1:27 AM in response to RayMytro

My problem seems different, its when i make a call or receive a call in my iPhone 6 (iOS 8), the volume is too low, I can barely hear the other person. In speaker and on headphones, the audio is clear and works fine. Any idea what could be the problem. Is there any setting which I should try? I did reset the general settings but no improvement. I bought this from LA last week and I am now in India.

Thanks.

Oct 7, 2014 5:50 PM in response to Manna_1

I've had the same problem on my new Iphone 6 (iOS 8). Have had it since the first day it came out. Was working fine till yesterday. Now, I can barely hear on incoming or outgoing calls even when the volume is on high. Have to use the speaker function to hear. However, the person on the other end had no issues hearing me. I also noticed that the dictation to text is not working either. Even if I speak very slowly, it only picks up part of the sentence. Must have something to do with the microphone. Verizon is replacing it, after I tried several times to restore to factory settings and it didn't work.

Oct 17, 2014 7:49 AM in response to RayMytro

In my case is a bit different. I was listening to music and all of the sudden the volume increased to maximum without the possibility of going back. It felt like the button was stuck, which it was not the case. I tried to close the application, open again, but it didn't work. Only after restarting the phone.

This looks like a software defect at least i surely hope so.

Oct 20, 2014 6:51 AM in response to RayMytro

Yeah this has been annoying me for a couple of weeks now too. It generally happens if I've been listening to music and someone calls or texts, or if I've linked my phone with a wireless device, through Bluetooth, to play music (e.g. Bose SounLink). I've found if you plug/unplug a set of earphones into the phone the volume slider will return. Earphones aren't always readily available though so only a reset seems to sort it out.

I've also had weird volume problems on Instagram/Twitter; like for instance the volume on posted videos won't work unless I mute then un-mute the phone whilst the video is playing. It's really starting to p*** me off!

Apple needs to sort this ASAP or the phone will be getting sent back.

Nov 17, 2014 7:44 PM in response to RayMytro

Hello, it seems I had the same issues as well. I went to an Apple Store and they replaced my phone for me, they couldn't understand why the volume wasn't working. I have had a new iPhone for 2 days and guess what.....same problem. SO annoying! I did not spend $700 on a phone to constantly be restarting it and I thought I solved the issure by getting a new phone but the problem seems to be more popular than I thought. I first searched forums around a week after getting my phone and no one was having the same issue, now it seems to be common. Hopefully this is something a simple update can fix.

Dec 3, 2014 8:43 AM in response to RayMytro

I am having the same volume issues with my brand new iPhone 6... Volume does not work for web videos or anything that needs sound. Based on the comments I am reading, I am really hoping they can fix this with a software update... I don't want to waste time changing my phone to find out that the replacement has exactly the same issues as it seems to be pretty common for the new iPhone 6. Suggestions to fix this if anyone finds a solution would be greatly appreciated. 😕

Dec 3, 2014 11:19 AM in response to RayMytro

I used to have this problem on an old iPhone 4 (never had it happen with my iPhone 5 or iPhone 6). Whenever I connected my Bluetooth device it would take over the volume. When I disconnected the device it would sometimes release the volume back to the iPhone but others I wouldn't have an option of changing the volume at all through the buttons or the slider (in fact the slider wouldn't even show up). I have also seen the same thing on one of my kids' iPod touch 4th generation when connecting it to a speaker dock. All of the time a restart of the iPhone would fix it. There seems to be an issue where some things take hold of the volume and don't release it again.

iPhone 6 Volume Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.