Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ios8: safari closes keyboard after first letter entered in google search box. Why? Not helpful apple.

Open a new tab in Safari, go to google.

(I use a link on my favourites bookmarks list to do this - ios8 seems to have lost the option to open a new tab with a chosen home page)

keyboard pops up to start typing search into, but closes after only one character has been entered.

have to select the google search box to reopen keyboard to continue typing.

this is a pain, isn't it?

anyone else having this problem?

iPad, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 3:02 AM

83 replies

Sep 27, 2014 4:59 AM in response to stedman1

Yes, as I said, done all the usual "cures" (I'm an Apple veteran since system 7!' who usually sorts out friends' problems!) apart from a complete restore, but that was carried out during the ios8 install.

Obviously it's not the worst problem on earth, just slightly annoying, and it does only affect going straight to a Google search in a new Safari tab.

Thanks for your help btw.

Sep 27, 2014 7:58 AM in response to A Bottersnike

Playing around with this, i think it is landscape mode and opening google from a bookmark tab that does it.

In portrait mode or opening google from an icon, you have to select the text entry box first, which brings up the keyboard.

In landscape it seems to jump to text entry, then drop out because you haven't actually tapped in the box yet.

IN the meantime, ios8: safari again, anyone know how to get the 'open in ibooks or... ' tab to reappear when reading a pdf?

It only pops up for a moment and i have no idea how to get it to come back, other than by reloading the page

ALso, anyone notice a problem with autocaps now? Doesn't seem to know when to come on after after punctuation,

then stays on for two letters when selected manually.

NIggling little things like this make it less of a pleasure Apple!

PLease fix!

Oct 5, 2014 2:53 AM in response to A Bottersnike

MY ipad 2 was working fine till I updated to ios 8.0.2. the keyboard closes as I type first letter in the Google dialogue box. I understand the usesrs of Apple products faced the same problem when ios 7 was launched. It is shocking that a company like apple does not test the update softwares before releasing the same to customers. The users like us who thought that apple products are user friendly and we should go for iphone, ipad and mac books so that we have ease of data management in our companies and it will be a good investment will now have to re-think. Seriously speaking, we were more comfortable using the ios 7 and updating to ios 8 has started creatingroblems. There are also no options to roll-back to ios 7.0.1. In a fix, what to do. But surely reputed companies do not leave customers in the middle of such problems. Any solutions?

<Edited by Host>

Oct 5, 2014 4:18 PM in response to A Bottersnike

I think I've cured it. Well I have for me.

Just suddenly occurred to me it may be something to do with Google predictive searching.

So I opened a new Google search and went straight to google settings (little cog top right in the Google window), then to Search Settings and changed the setting for predictive search (it doesn't seem to matter to what, as long as you change it), then scroll down and save your setting.

Once you've changed the setting and saved it you can change it back to your preferred setting, and save again of course.

Hope it works for everyone else.

Ios8: safari closes keyboard after first letter entered in google search box. Why? Not helpful apple.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.