Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 hanging and crashing

My iPhone 6 (Verizon 64GB) crashes and hangs. It has locked up, gotten into bizarre behavior, and outright reset on its own. Usually it seems to work OK. Every time I have considered going to the Apple Store (it is about 10 minutes from home and 20 from work) the phone has fixed itself by restarting.

Twice I came home and the phone didn't see my home WiFi. The first time it started working fine after I forced a reset on the phone. The 2nd time, after I did the 8.0.2 update, I noticed the problem, verified that the WiFi was enabled in the pull-up menu, so went into the Settings app. The Settings app set the entire screen to white but no menu items appeared. Now the iPhone 6 locked up. So I force reset. It came up and everything, including the wifi, was working.

The iPhone 6 crashed under 8.0.0 twice when I was dictating a message in SIRI "Tell my wife I will be home late because traffic is nasty and I'm taking a detour to stop at CostCO" pause, Siri should have said "your message says ..." and read it back to me. Instead it rebooted, black screen with white Apple in the middle. It did this to me twice within 20 minutes. I tested this after 8.0.2 and the problem didn't happen. Not sure if it was fixed. Certainly that fix was not mentioned in the 8.0.2 notes.

Once, after 8.0.2 update, the phone forgot that it could receive push content. It seemed to be working fine with Safari and etc, but it didn't ring when I should have received a phone call, twice, and didn't alert me to a half dozen incoming iMessages. It was in this mode for a couple of hours. I noticed the issue because the WiFi had stopped again. I went into the settings app and it was blank again. I pushed the home button, which responded fine. I could even change home screens. Settings was again blank when I started it. I used home to go into multi-tasking and quit all of the apps and then started Settings again. Still white. I did a forced reset by holding down home and the standby button and after it booted the WiFi started working, and I had notice of missing phone calls and unread iMessages.

Is this just my unit? Or is this common?

Additional: The crash has happened when it was on Cellular LTE. I don't know that it has ever crashed when it was working with WiFi. It did get into bad modes and lock up when it SHOULD have been working on WiFi. I did not perform the 8.0.1 update. Also, when I purchased the iPhone 6 at the Apple store the first Friday, the phone restored from my iPhone 5S iCloud backup, mostly, and finished on iTunes later. I think it didn't get my music, photos and some of the Apps from iCloud.

Thanks.

Tadd

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 8:37 AM

16 replies

Sep 30, 2014 7:49 AM in response to Taddd

I got on chat with apple. They escalated it to a phone call at 5pm yesterday. They suggested resetting settings

Settings App --> General --> RESET --> Reset All Settings

Then go back and connect to home WiFi, set ring tones and such up.

They said they would call me back in 24 hours (8PM EST tonight) and see if it had crashed again. It's 11 am now. no crashes yet.

Oct 2, 2014 1:17 PM in response to Taddd

I'm experiencing some of the same symptoms. I have not had an issue with siri as I don't use her very often but issues with the Wifi networks not showing, blank setting screens, the phone locking up, and restarting itself are all symptoms I have experienced. Did resetting all setting resolve these issues? I am curious if it is something I should try.

Oct 2, 2014 1:59 PM in response to cpoillion

The problem did re-occur. It took a few days but it is back now.

I reset the iphone 6 while on land-line with Apple. That was Monday evening Sept 29.

They called me on Tuesday evening Sept 30

On Tuesday night after hanging up with Apple a minor problem occurred in that the swipe from the bottom and from the top in home screen and applications no longer brought up the quick settings and notification menus. Swiping had no affect, from the home screen or applications. From the lock screen both menus worked.

On Wednesday Oct 1 evening the menus started working again. Since Monday I have not force-reset the phone or reset the settings.

At noon on Thursday Oct 2 the iPhone 6's personal-hotspot via lightning connector stopped working -- the attached computer (MSWIndows 7) knows that the phone is there because it made a beeboop noise when I connect the iphone 6 but the iphone 6 doesn't go into hotspot (blue bar on top of screen is missing). .

I went into the Settings menu on the iphone 6 and the settings app showed all white.

I closed down all applications from multi-tasking and touched the icon for the settings app. Now it doesn't launch.

5 minute later the iPhone 6 no longer responds to clicking the home button.

unplugging the USB cable from the computer resulted in the computer noticing that the phone was unplugged

iPhone 6 is still all black. Clicking the home button or the sleep button makes not difference.

Clicking and holding the home button resulted in the SIRI noise.

That only worked once. SIRI never completed. iPhone 6 is still all black.

clicked both the home button and the sleep button and the phone made the camera click noise as if it were taking a photo of its desktop. I did that again.

Now I held both until the white apple showed up. (FORCE RESET)

iPhone 6 booted. Asked for my numeric lock code. I logged in.

I checked the photos app to see the images from before I force reset the iphone 6.

The last two camera images are both black.

iPhone 6 appears to be working ok again.

---------------

My usage of the phone includes fingerprint access through the lock screen, ibooks, camera, health-app (including count-of-stairs), email, Opera browser, Notes, Personal HotSpot to my MSWIndows7 PC, address book, telephone, iMessages to iphone users and to SMS phone users. Several times in the last 3 days I had to force iMessages to send SMS to somebody who was formerly an iPhone user. I also use iMessages to send voice memos.

I use WiFi at home but not at work. I use LTE on Verizon and hotspot to share to the MSWIndows7 laptop.

Oct 7, 2014 8:39 AM in response to Taddd

My Iphone 6 has gave me the blank white screen in settings twice in the last week. This morning it was total black out on screen while the alarm was going off and I could not shut it off had to do a reboot then could not get phone to open after it came back up, did another reboot then i could open the phone only to get the white screen in settings again so did another reboot and so far it has been working "normal" if there is such. This is all getting tiresome I never had these kind of problems with my other Iphones.

Oct 12, 2014 5:43 PM in response to Taddd

I'm going thru the same issues with my 64GB one also...not sure if I should take it back to apple and have them swap it out with a non-refurbish one or just wait for iOS 8.1 to see if it fixes these issues...I know that they do not have any iPhones in stock so I'm trying to avoid paying the $100 to get apple care +. Even tho I have the insurance with Verizon, I know that apple will exchange the phone since they can see its been crashing from my diagnostics. Let me know what you decide to do cause I will probably do the same...Thanks

Dec 20, 2014 3:42 AM in response to Taddd

I Have the same issue. iPhone 6 128gb , it have started to hang on facetime. The FaceTime actally is sometimes worse on wifi than on 3G, even if I have a apple extreme router. You can suddenly have 2 calls at the same time, because the first call is freezed.

Then also it is not possible to turn off phone, because it is frozen, so only way is a hard reboot.

It happens also in the morning when I want to check the emails, and open the email app, that it freeze the loading, and I can see that the wifi signal is stuck on only 1bar signal. Again it is only a hard reboot that works, because all other is stuck. I might be able to open some apps, like settings, Safari etc, but none of them works. After hard reboot, I sometimes dont have wifi, and cannot turn it on, but it works perfect again on hard reboot.

I also find this iPhone worst when it comes to having signal when driving. It looks like it hangs too much between base stations, and constantly braked the line.

After reading a bit about issues, I see that the korean guys complains that the TLC NAND chip (triple level cell) is the problem, and this chip is cheaper and slower than the MLC NAND ( multilevel cell ) The TLC is used in some 64gb and 128gb devices, but on 16gb it is used MLC.

i Hope apple can fix this either by a recall (so we get a phone with MLC IC, or that they comes with a software update, because right now my telephone have so

bad signal and freezes all the time, so it begins to be a problem.

PLease apple, fix this.

Mar 3, 2015 7:23 PM in response to Taddd

mostly same issue. I have iphone 6 plus 128GB, and it does have the red screen (bootloop) issue if I turn it off then immediately turn it on again. I initiated the bootloop (restarting the phone) myself (meaning no random restart). Secondly I have to keep the free space at around 25GB or else something will become corrupted (last time it was my email, and the push did not work).

Regarding the wifi and the white screen settings, I also experience that. the only thing that does not happen to me is random restart during normal use. It happens overnight when I charged my phone. Normally in the morning I found the phone requesting me to input my passcode (as it was restarted - it restart itself) and has the white settings issue and wifi not working. Apps sometime crash too.

My solution so far: keep the free space above 25GB, and when restarting the iphone on purpose, I wait for 1 mins before turning it back on. Those are to deal with the red screen bootloop.

For the wifi and white screen settings screen, my solution (to charge during the night) is to connect the iphone to the charger, and after that, turning the iphone off. When you want to use it in the morning, just disconnect the cable and the iphone will automatically turn itself on. I have since had no problem using this step, but my attempt to charge the iphone while the iphone is on ended miserably yesterday night (just to test if the problem is gone). The wifi and settings problem came back.

For such an expensive phone, I expect none of this behaviour. Such a shame since I prefer this iphone than my iphone 4 (which so far: no problem at all).

I expect apple to fix the problem.

Mar 13, 2015 8:36 AM in response to good_day26

just want to update my experience, after updating to ios 8.2.

Since these problems I have a habit, connecting the iphone charger, turn the iphone off for the night and let it charge, and turn it on in the morning by disconnecting the cable. Last night, after updating to ios 8.2, by accident I forgot to do my habit. I woke up with the phone on and surprise, it has none of the problem that I described above (save for the red screen of death with unfortunately appeared when I updated the device (upon restart), and still happens if I turn off the phone then quickly turn it on (as soon as I am able to) and does not normally happen if I wait 1-2 mins before turning my phone on again.

At least today I did not wake up with disfunctional wifi and white-screen settings. I was rather surprised. I will do another test tonight, leaving my phone on while charging it.

iPhone 6 Plus Space Grey 128GB, iOS 8.2

Apr 6, 2016 7:43 AM in response to Taddd

HI, I'm having some of the same issues on iPhone 6plus. 128gb. Phone randomly shuts down, sometimes starts and shuts down again right away, having lots of silly glitches, volume slider disappears,meetings are blank etc, it's been happening for about 4 months, I've also noticed that it never shuts down while on wifi ?

BEen disappointed with my iPhone, never used to get many bugs etc now there becoming a pain.

one other thing, have any of you guys having the problems got Apple Watch? Might be a coincidence but I've had watch since Christmas, around time this started happening.

iphone 6 hanging and crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.