Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MSDS for iPhone 6 Needed

Many hours of head banging against the wall and here I am……

Please help.

I need to obtain for my sister the MSDS for the iPhone 6 or more accurately the battery - my sister, not realising Apples hatred of mobile phones BEING mobile and therefore movable from one country to another, thought it would be nice to buy me an iPhone 6. It was nice, I’m in Bulgaria and they have only released the 16gb here and its £920.00 (that is 6 months wages here) but now she has to actually ship it to me. Which is about as easy as shipping packets of white powder from Columbia apparently.

The MSDS - which i rather thought they were obliged to publish or at least provide upon request - appears to have the security status of Polaris Launch Codes. Please help as Bletchley Park is no longer in operation and i don’t know where else to look!

Thanks in advance!

iPhone 6, iOS 8, Dont KNow - Not Seen It Yet!

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 8:35 AM

29 replies

Sep 28, 2014 5:46 AM in response to WhatSupportApple

No - sorry; it looks like this, this is one half of it (front) there are 2 sides A4 with the details about hazards contained within the package. Mostly this is the Lithium in the battery which is a VERY nasty metal. The second MSDS IS for lithium Ion batteries but from a company that does not keep them in an underground bunker on a secret island in the middle of the pacific - unfortunately I need one from Apple. Despite an obligation to make this available Apple appear to not do this (In my opinion) this is in order to stop people buying an iPhone's in the US and selling them in places like here in Bulgaria where the Authorized Apple Store charges literally 3 X the price (or 2 x for Macbook Air and iPad):

User uploaded file

Material/Product Safety Data Sheet (MSDS-PSDS)

MP/VL products

Rechargeable lithium-ion
single cells and multi-cell battery packs

Simplified Advice Code

Revision 3 Date 06/2005

G

1. Identification of the Substance or Preparation and Company

Product

Rechargeable lithium-ion cylindrical and medium prismatic single cells and multi-cell battery packs

Production sites

Saft America Inc. 313 Crescent Street

Valdese
North Carolina 28690

USA
Tel. No. +1 (828) 874 4111

Fax No. +1 (828) 874 2431

Saft
Rue Georges Leclanché

BP 1039
86060 Poitiers cedex 9

FRANCE
+33 (0)5 49 55 48 48 +33 (0)5 49 55 48 50

Emergency contacts +1 (703) 527 3887 (CHEMTREC US Service Center) Within the USA +1 (800) 424 9300

2. Composition & Information on Ingredients

Each cell consists of an hermetically sealed metallic container containing a number of chemicals and materials of construction of which the following could potentially be hazardous upon release.

Ingredient

Content

CAS No.

CHIP Classification

Lithium metal

(in spite of their name, these batteries do not contain any lithium metal)

LiCoO2

(Lithium cobaltite)

30%

12190-79-3

R22, R43
S2, S22, S24, S26, S36,

S37, S45

Organic solvents

13%
EA (Ethyl Acetate)
EC (Ethyl Carbonate) DMC (DiMethyl Carbonate)
(Boiling Points: EA: -84°C; EC: +38°C DMC: +4°C)

141-78-6 96-49-1 616-38-6

R21, R22, R41, R42, R43 S2, S24, S26, S36,

S37, S45

LiPF6

(Lithium hexafluoro phosphate)

1%

R14, R21, R22, R4, R43 S2, S8, S22, S24, S26, S36, S37, S45

Carbon (Cn)

16%

1333-86-4

NONE KNOWN

Amount varies depending on cell size

Sep 29, 2014 7:04 AM in response to WhatSupportApple

Hi, I am sorry for your lack of education but it is NOT just a phone, It is a phone containing a large Lithium Ion battery. Lithium is a VERY dangerous and reactive metal that will literally st fire to its self when in contact with water or steam (see you tube video's).

It burns at a temperature of 1110 deg F. It is one of the key ingredients in the "shake and bake" method of methamphetamine production - the one that often explodes and showers the maker in hot acid and burning liquid metal - burning Lithium metal.

It is in a more stable state in your iPhone true but does this mean you iPhone will not set spontaneously on fire one day - NO. And that can happen on an airplane as this one did:

User uploaded file

The incident occurred after the Regional Express Saab 340B landed in Sydney, Australia, on Nov. 25, 2011

So if that had happened in the cargo hold instead of in a passengers pocket there would have been no warning and it would most likely have brought the plane down as even the gas fire extinguisher system will not put the fire out it needs class D dry powder to extinguish it.

SO - as a result any [correct me if im wrong - not tested every one] world courier needs you to sign a declaration about your package and one of those lines is that it does NOT contain a device with a Lithium Ion battery - if it does you have to provide a MSDS.

Yes there are many shipped around the world, because people sign the declaration and put something like "Apple Airport" on the contents declaration. This is all good until a) you see the news where DLH flight XYZ was brought down by a battery fire in an undeclared iPhone with the loss of all the crew or b) you have to make a claim for your iPhone 6 Plus 128gb that was lost in transit with the shipper and your **** because you shipped a Apple Airport but your purchase receipt says iPhone 6.

SO, is it a pain in the *** - yes. Is it completely stupid not really and it is not as if they WONT ship it they just need the appropriate legal paperwork and the correct declaration and about $5 more and they will handle and transport it in a safe manner. Is it difficult to get the MSDS - not usually. Google MSDS Samsung Galaxy and the first listing is the entire list of versions with a download for each MSDS - go to DHL or TNT with a Galaxy Tab and they will print it off for you whilst you fill in the declaration but go in with an iPhone 6 and declare it properly and they will tell you to go home.

Apple are unique for many things - one of them is the fact that it is to all intent and purposes impossible to obtain the MSDS for there products - this has the additional benefit of criminalizing those who flout Apples vastly variable World pricing policy by excersising there right to buy products from other countries.

I would just like my early Christmas present before it becomes a late Christmas present or the iPhone 7 is released!

Sep 29, 2014 7:48 AM in response to WhatSupportApple

Truly..........Is it just a Pavlovian response with you guys arguing about something you know nothing about? My company - the one I own, ships over 40,000 packages by airmail every year - we are the 2nd biggest user of the national postal service in Bulgaria and the single biggest user of air freight out of Bulgaria. I know a little about international shipping requirements and if this iPhone is to get to me legally it needs to be accompanied by a MSDS. Though I may have to circumvent the process and get one from the battery manufacturer as Im getting no where here.

They are flying around the World at any one time because they have the appropriate paperwork and declaration and yes many of them are apple products because the authorized supply chain HAS the MSDS. But the public dont.

AND no its not a problem with MY carrier, its the aviation laws:

""From January 2009 (air transport) and June 2009 (road transport under ADR), shippers transporting lithium batteries by road or air needed to comply with new regulations.

New UN numbers were introduced and more stringent conditions were placed on transporters, even where special provisions applied.""

This applies to all carriers using aircraft - as i understand it at the moment they can ONLY be shipped as cargo in cargo aircraft, LOTS of freight is shipped in passenger aircraft as "top up" for the flight company. This is why they have to know what it is so it can go on the correct aircraft.

Any answers from anyone who knows the secret location of the iPhone MSDS?

Sep 29, 2014 9:31 AM in response to WhatSupportApple

You really are quite spectacular [edit]. You genuinely believe that because you dont know something (which I'm now guessing covers quite a large proportion [edit] human) it is not true or someone who does know it is de facto nuts.

I honestly believed people like [edit] were fictional characters in movies - I did not know they were based on real people!

Thankfully, in-between my education on the fact that you dont have to be [edit] to buy Apple products or to join a forum, I have found a solution. Unfortunately it does not help anyone else who might look at this post for enlightenment but it helps me. The smallest of my companies sells CREE led torches and my courier will, after some negotiation, will accept "Assorted Used, New and Customer Returned Electronics which contain Lithium Ion Batteries" and a generic Li-ion battery MSDS.

[edit] with evolution guys - the [edit] is to bang the rocks together!

MSDS for iPhone 6 Needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.