Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incorrect sorting

Since I have updated OS X to Yosemite, my file sorting has been... odd. This is both in Finder and Evernote. I have a folder of folders named with a single letter to test the sorting. It goes like this:

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

X <=

I

J

K

Q <=

L

M

N

O

P

R

S

T

U

V

Y

Z

W <=

Is there any explanation for this?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), Yosemite 10.10

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 11:28 PM

18 replies

Sep 29, 2014 5:40 AM in response to R.Robbo

I never said it was user error. Recent versions of OS X have been resetting the "Arrange By" setting to something other than "None". That is "arrange by", not "sort by". From Apple's perspective, those are two different things and really aren't what you or I would think they are. For example, there is no "sort by" option in a list view. There is only an "arrange by" option. Yet for the desktop, and the desktop only, there is a "sort by". How one is supposed to "sort" icons on one or more displays is a riddle that only Apple thinks it has solved. The reason why "arrange by" > Name doesn't actually do that is another mystery.

Also, I notice that you are actually talking about Yosemite. You shouldn't be doing that. I don't have Yosemite on this machine to test. I don't doubt it is doing something unexpected. File a bug report and maybe it will be fixed 10.11. Until then, change your Arrange By to None and see if it improves.

Oct 18, 2014 5:08 AM in response to R.Robbo

don't worry, you're not alone 😟

i'm running 2 macs ( macbook pro ) identically set up and upgraded yesterday

while on one machine all is working as expected i have exactly the same weird behavior you brought up here on the other machine.

arrange by name in column view would not sort correctly while on the other machine it does.

so this is one of the worst kind of bugs if it's either intermittent or not across all users and devices the same. there will be many answers of the likes

you got first from people who don't have the issue like myself on one machine ( 2 meters appart, same network, all same )

however sooner or later there will be more users encountering the issue and therefore it will be taken care of hopefully, just bad that i depend on finder

order because file structures are an integrated part of the work which i do for my customers. for now the only way is to switch to list view where all is normal

and go back to column view when the task is done.

further want to mention that folders are on the bottom where alphabetical ordering fails while on the other machine folders are in their alpha-numeric place like

they always were.

also further it's not unimportant that among folders the order is correct while only the files don't arrange correctly beside the fact that files come first on the

malfunctioning system.

what i'll try is to download the update again and re-install, but only after trying out a few other things first

Jan 16, 2015 5:47 AM in response to R.Robbo

I think I found the solution ... this has been driving me crazy for days now.

There are apparently two levels to this:

- While browsing a folder (not the "Desktop") - go to FINDER : VIEW : SHOW VIEW OPTIONS (Command-J)

- You'll note that there is "Arrange By" and "Sort By" options ... both of these need to be set.

Apparently, mine was set to

Arrange By: Name

Sort By: Kind

Sorting in this manner was causing things to be out of alphabetical order within column view.

I changed to

Arrange By: None

Sort By: Name

and it did the trick.

Cheers!

Incorrect sorting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.