Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Plus camera rotation problem - any way to fix it?

I took 7 photos this evening with my new iPhone 6 plus. All were taken in landscape mode. All were taken standing, holding the camera in landscape position pointed straight ahead or at a slight tilted down angle to shoot something relatively low in height.

3 of the photos came out oriented correctly. But 4 came out rotated incorrectly. And there doesn't seem to be a way to correct the rotation in the Photos app, is there?

Why don't the photos consistently turn out rotated correctly in the Photos app?

In the Camera app itself, I looked at each one after shooting via the little window that appears after taking each photo. In all those views the photos were oriented correctly.

A bug? Anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks,

doug

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), i5, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 3:12 AM

61 replies

Feb 14, 2017 2:01 PM in response to Doug Lerner2

I have an IPhone 7 Plus with the latest updates installed and I still have this issue both with videos and pics. The way I replicate the issue is similar to you Doug but a bit different so I'll explain. If you hold the phone in landscape orientation and take a pic at something looking down toward the ground and then go into photos and view the photo it will be flipped 90 degrees incorrectly. The manual fix is to open camera app with phone orientation beginning in up and down (portait phone orientation but not to be confused with the portrait setting in camera app) then before you take your pic rotate the phone to horizontal orientation and snap pic. If you do that and go back in to photos it will display correctly. (A simple way to fix videos if you didn't do this correctly to begin with is to download iMovie app from Apple and load the incorrect oriented video in the app and use two fingers on the screen to rotate the video till it's correctly oriented in the app and then export new video and that should fix your video)

Feb 14, 2017 3:17 PM in response to Doug Lerner2

This is kind of funny in a way and I actually feel stupid but there is no bug at all, the problem is the user not paying attention to see if the orientation is right. In the camera preview make sure icons on left are oriented correctly and all will be fine, notice the "HDR" letters on your screen and the way you will know it's oriented correctly is that those icons and "hdr" letters will read left to right, and you just have to wiggle your phone till it flips correctly before you take pic or video. This will solve everyone's issues. I can post pics if this doesn't make sense.

Feb 25, 2017 4:55 AM in response to Ravingfans

Clearly it's either a hardware or software issue. When a user turns a phone sideways the expectation is that the camera will figure out the how to orient itself without any prompting. I just shot a video from quick view. I had the camera resting on the counter top for several seconds before recording and the camera was completely horizontal and near 90 degrees with the surface. No excuses for when I pull my video up its now the wrong orientation. The only way to not look at the video sideways is to lock the screen.

It's pretty frustrating when:

1. You spend a lot of money on a high end product and you bring that issue personally to the attention of Apple months earlier and they still haven't invested in fixing their problem.

2. When people barely read the responses here and assume we all just keep hitting the orientlock button or aren't properly wiggling our phone before pictures.

May 20, 2017 6:33 PM in response to Ravingfans

There absolutely is a bug. Landscape photos are randomly oriented incorrectly (sideways) in the Camera Roll requiring an extra step of reorienting them one-by-one them using Apple's photo edit tool (a two-step process). This bug appeared in the release of iOS 10 and has never been corrected. There should not require any sort of work around or setting to fix this - every photo should appear in the correct viewing orientation in Camera Roll, regardless of whether or not it was taken from a locked screen or if the orientation setting is locked or unlocked - this is how it used to function. Why Apple refuses to fix this problem is a complete mystery, but it starts with the top, and Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs, who would have recognized the importance of happy, satisfied consumers of it's most innovative product, and most-used application (the camera).

May 20, 2017 6:42 PM in response to Doug Lerner2

The only way to fix it lies with Apple. And why they haven't after all the updates since the problem started with iOX 10 is a complete mystery. Digital photography has exploded since the iPhone was released. Every update should enhance the user experiences, which is why they spend so much effort to improve the camera with each update. Why wouldn't they update or enhance the software? It used to work just fine, so what happened? I hate my phone now, can you tell? Maybe that's their way of trying to get people to upgrade to the new one since that has slowed down (have you watched their stock this past couple of years?). Yeah, on a soap box because iPhone photography has been awesome for so many years but things like this are slow killers. Apple is getting fat and lazy.

Jun 8, 2017 2:30 AM in response to Doug Lerner2

I am having the exact same issue on my iPhone 6 (not plus) and my whife as well on her iPhone 6.

And I am sure this is a bug that appeared somewhere in early versions of ios10. First versions of ios10 were still fine, I recall.

ios9 didn't have this bug neither with the iPhone 6 nor with iPhone 5.

And I've notifed Apple about it long ago but versions after version they won't fix it.

There is something else very annoying : the camera app desn't memorize the recoding mode for very long. After a few minutes, the recoding mode is back to still photo. If you decide to spend your day shooting videos or slow-mo or panoramas, you've got to swipe to the desired mode each time you unlock the phone and as this swipe thing is very slow it gets annoying. Third party recording apps won't be accessible when the phone is locked. So please Apple do fix your cam App !

Sep 28, 2014 9:32 PM in response to Thunkpad

Thanks for the hint about the rotate. AppleCare didn't know about that when I did a support chat with them on this issue.

What they had be do was "reset all settings."

Side-note: They said doing that would not delete any data, but it took like an hour to get things back where they were because all sorts of things were lost: wallpaper, my touch id fingerprint, wi-fi password, Messages addresses, the name of my iPhone - and at least a dozen other settings. They could have warned me.

Anyway, I only did one test of 7 landscape photos after that, taken at various tilts, and they all came out correctly rotated. So maybe that fixed it. Or maybe it just didn't show up in the 7 photos I took. Time will tell. Worth a try? But just know you have to redo all your settings.

doug

Oct 1, 2014 4:51 PM in response to Doug Lerner2

I'm able to replicate the problem. Clearly a bug.

1. Make sure the screen is off.

2. Hold the iPhone 6 Plus in landscape position, home button to the left.

3. Press the home button and slide to go into the camera.

Note if you do that, the flash, HDR and front/back icons are sideways. If you take a picture then it will turn out rotated incorrectly. The phone did not recognize it's orientation when it went into camera mode.

If you turn the camera into portrait orientation and then back to landscape orientation the symbols adjust and the orientation ends up correct.

Clearly a bug. I hope they fix it.

doug

Oct 2, 2014 6:51 AM in response to Doug Lerner2

Doug Lerner2 wrote:

But if it can be replicated on some devices and not others doesn't that sound like a hardware, rather than a firmware/iOS issue?

Not necessarily. If some devices do it right out of the box and others don't do it right out of the box, that would be suggestive of a hardware issue, but if the two sets of devices saw any activity that wasn't identical, their software could be in different states. Even right out of the box, the two sets of phones could have been imaged from different software masters.

iPhone 6 Plus camera rotation problem - any way to fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.