Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Air! Keyboard disappears after one keystroke.

Using an IPad Air since May. Very satisfied with its performance. However, after updating to IOS 8.0.2, the keyboard disappears when I only enter one character in the search field. It does not happen consistently. For example, I go to the Google search page and tap on the search field. The keyboard appears and I start typing my search. In one case I typed an I for Ipad and suddenly the keyboard lowered and I was left with an I in the Google search field. I must tap the search field again to complete the search. I have not seen the issue brought up in the forum.

iPad, iOS 8, IPad Air running IOS 8.0.2

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 9:01 AM

35 replies

Sep 28, 2014 9:11 AM in response to Planemusic

I experienced this with one of my apps after the update to iOS 8. I assumed it was a problem with that app or with the website in question not quite playing by the rules resulting in problems with iOS 8. As these apps and sites get updated the problems will become less common.

One thing to try though is a reset of your iPad. This is like a reboot of your computer and often cures problems like the one you describe. Press and hold both the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button continuously until the Apple logo appears. Then release the button and let the device restart. You will not lose data doing this. It's like a computer reboot.

Sep 28, 2014 11:43 AM in response to Ralph9430

Thank you for your reply Ralph. I reset my iPad as you suggested. I rebooted and opened Safari and brought up Google search. I tapped the search bar and began to type Ipad. As soon as I typed I the keyboard lowered and I was left with just the I in the search field. I continued to type pad and the search began normally. I did not have this problem in IOS 7. I'm convinced it has something to do with the upgrade to iOS 8.

Sep 29, 2014 7:49 AM in response to Planemusic

Thank you. If you only see the keyboard problem in the Google search site then that indicates to me that the Google site has a coding problem. Maybe Google will become aware of this and correct it.

How are you "bringing up" the Google search page? If you are using Safari and going to Google dot com, then typing in your search you are using too many steps to accomplish the search. Use the Settings app to specify Google as your search engine. Then when opening Safai just type your search in the URL entry window at the top of your screen. Safari will return search results from Google. Here's how to specify a search engine for Safari:

Settings > Safari > Sewrch Engine > Select Google there

Sep 29, 2014 1:19 PM in response to Ralph9430

Thank you Ralph. Yes, it just may be a google problem because it has not failed in other form entries. Yes, my search engine is setup as you said, however I have always entered the search words in the search window in the middle of the page. I was not aware you could enter the search in the URL window.

Just a thought, I think there were two other people that said they had the same problem. I wonder if it was in the Google search window also. Maybe they can clarify where they are typing.

IPad Air! Keyboard disappears after one keystroke.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.