Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.0.2 on iPhone 4S crashes WiFi network

Question:

Has anyone seen problems with their WiFi network associated with iOS 8.0.2?

Background:

I installed 8.0.2 on my iPhone4S and it appears to crash my entire home WiFi. I have 4 iOS devices in the house: iPhone 5, IPad, Apple TV and iPhone 4S. Only the 4S has IOS8.0.2. Since I installed it this morning my WiFi has been continuously crashing, making it impossible for the 4 Windows laptops in our house to stay connected. I left the house for 2 hours and things went back to normal. When I returned, the network immediately crashed again. I turned off WiFi on the 4S and power-cycled the router. The network came back up. When I restarted WiFi on the 4S, it crashed. Turned off the 4s's WiFi again and reset the router. Everything has been fine now for 30 minutes. I have Frontier Communications FIOS with a MI424WR-GEN3I router. Throughout all of the outages, the wired/Ethernet functionality of the router has worked fine and I have been able to access the Internet via Ethernet.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 3:26 PM

33 replies

Mar 22, 2017 3:22 PM in response to sstelter

OK! I found the solution to this same problem I was having with my network and 7+. I run a seasonal business and I got my new 7+ back in December. I just started back in my office this week and every time I tried to connect my 7+ to the wifi it would kick all devices from the network and wouldn't allow a connection for about a minute. I spent well over an hour on the phone with my ISP about how I thought it may be a network modem/wifirouter issue. Finally we changed the security settings on the router to just WEP and it cured my issues, at least it seems for now. So far(the last hour) it hasn't crashed the router! So basically he said apparently it didn't like the WPA security and so we removed it! TADA! it now works!

Sep 29, 2014 2:31 PM in response to Splinterville

I'm not sure you're describing the same issue. Let's try to confirm.

I'm saying: The iPhone brought down my WiFi network, making it impossible for other devices to access the network. I think what I reported is a very serious issue. It's one thing not to work. It's another to interfere with other devices working.

I an not saying I was unable to access the WiFi from my iPhone, which is what it sounds like you are reporting.

Please confirm.

Sep 30, 2014 4:12 AM in response to sstelter

I am, but you're correct I wasn't very clear. My system did crash, my laptop and ipad could not connect either. I spent two hours on the landline phone with a tech person from my cable company to get the system reset. Now my WiFi is back up and running. Sometimes the iphone connects and sometimes it doesn't. When connected it works with some apps other just sit and load until it times out. This is my first experience with support groups; I'll get better. Are we the only ones? You're right this is a serious issue but it's not getting the coverage that iOS 8.0.1 got. I keep hoping for a headline, "Apple to fix problems with iphone 4s......"

Oct 1, 2014 12:01 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

The same problem with Apple only devices (mostly) in my home WI-FI network, configuration like:

CableModem -> AirPort Extreme 802.11n (3rd Gen, latest firmware, WI-FI - 2.4 Ghz 802.11 b/g, 5.0 Ghz 802.11n) - used as a router

Devices connected to home WI-FI:

1. iPhone 4s (802.11 g)

2. iPad mini Retina (802.11 n / 802.11 g - see below about a problem)

3. Apple TV 2 (802.11 n)

4. MacBook (802.11 n)

5. PlayStation 3 (802.11 g)

6. Windows 7 (802.11 g)

Everything used to work just fine when iPhone 4s & iPad were on iOS 7.1.2, after upgrading to 8.0.2 - cannot access internet reliably from any device in my home WI-FI unless:

1. force iPad to use 802.11 n ONLY and

2. disable WI-FI on iPhone 4s

So how is that "router manufacturer" problem? AND my router IS Apple?

Oct 1, 2014 12:42 AM in response to alex95129

Kind of out of topic, but, another 8.0.2 problem - after running it for about a day start having Bluetooth problems - phone connected to my car (Toyota) system - immediately having "Incoming call / Private" indication / sound, without ANY calls actually showing on the phone 🙂 Tried to reconnect phone 3 times, had the same problem - rebooted the phone, and it is almost 12 hours now - so far so good, will see how it goes for the next 12 hours. Used to work fine in 7.1.2, so don't believe it is "car manufacturer" problem as well.

Oct 1, 2014 5:15 AM in response to sstelter

sstelter wrote:

Sorry, but that's just a ridiculous thing to say. The fact that an issue is intermittent or dependent on other variables does not mean its not an issue. You have provided an opinion with no data and no help. If you can't contribute to a solution, please abstain from this thread.

If a device on a network can crash a router/WAP, the issue is with that router/WAP is there is no "crash the network" command within the Wi-Fi protocol.

That's why there are networking standards; if properly adhered to they dictate what will occur when commands are received and commensurately, the only things that will happen.

Feel free to fill out the form and peruse the actual specifications of the protocol yourself if you so choose; there's no "crash network" option.

http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.11n-2009.pdf

Whether the router is Apple's or another vendor's, it needs to be able to deal with whatever traffic/commands are sent to it.

Oct 1, 2014 11:33 AM in response to sstelter

I thought I was crazy but seem to be having the issue too. Seems like every night if myself (iPhone 5 on 8.0.2) or my girlfriend (iPhone 5s on 8.0.2) connects to the Wi-Fi, everything stays connected (including phones and laptops and hardwired desktop), but we cannot access the internet unless I restart the routers, it will just sit and spin or say it can't load the page. I can plug directly into the modem while this is happening and access the internet, so I know the modem isn't the issue. I have two routers (Linksys/Cisco and a Netgear) and it happens on both. Tried updating firmware, changing channels, etc. and nothing seemed to work. I did try changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS service) on the phones while the internet wasn't working, and it seemed to work. But I've only gotten to test this for one night. Never had this problem until upgrading to iOS 8 and haven't changed anything in my setup since the upgrade. Just seems like it has to be something with the phones causing the routers issue. Thinking about changing the DNS on the routers to 8.8.8.8 as well and see what happens.

iOS 8.0.2 on iPhone 4S crashes WiFi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.