Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6/iOS 8 Landscape Keyboard Problem

Hello everyone,

I'm writing here as I have encountered some problems with the native iOS keyboard in landscape mode on my brand new iPhone 6. Before getting into the problem description, here is my current configuration:

The Configuration

- iPhone 6 w/ 64GB

- Unlocked, purchased directly from an Apple Store, in Europe/France

- iOS 8.0.2 (12A405)

- Native iOS Keyboard

- No other keyboard app installed or previously installed

- Predictive typing activated

The Problem

Sometimes, when I write messages (SMS and/or iMessages) in landscape mode, the keyboard gets a little "funky" on me. Keys get superimposed on each other, especially the upper most row of keys (the QWERY row) with the predicted words zone. Simply put, graphics get overlaid... I have to switch between portrait and landscape mode in order get the keyboard to be shown normally. Sometimes, the only way out of this is simply closing the app and relaunching it (closing it using double-click on Home button and swiping upwards to free the app memory).

Also, when writing a mail in landscape mode, I only get to see around 3/4 of the text in terms of width. It seems that the text I'm typing gets behind an invisible white panel that covers the right-most quarter of the screen. This invisible white panel only covers the mail body section. All other buttons and fields (Cc/Bcc, Subject, keyboard, Send button, etc.) appear correctly. Notice that this time even the keyboard appears correctly. All graphics appear correctly but the text I'm writing. I have to mention that the text I'm typing does get registered by the OS because if I switch to portrait mode, all the text suddenly appears back and gets readjusted in order to fit the portrait mode. If I switch back to landscape, a part of the text vanishes again (as if hidden by this sort of invisible white panel). Depending on the text I write I can see halfs of letters being hidden...

So I was wondering whether anyone else has encountered this problem at all. Is it due to the iOS 8.0.2 update? Or simply the iOS 8? Or is it maybe the iPhone 6' bigger screen? Beats me... By the way, rebooting the iPhone doesn't change a thing...

Thanks for your replies and for your help!

iPhone 6, iOS 8, 64 GB

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2014 7:52 AM

Same issue here. Just did the download now I'll hit the alpha key on the screen and it does not register. Only happens in landscape mode. Only tried it on imessage and SMS, did not try email yet.

- iPhone 6 w/ 128GB

- Purchased directly from an AT&T Store, in US

- iOS 8.0.2 (12A405)

- Native iOS Keyboard

48 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2014 7:52 AM in response to Vlad MARIN

Same issue here. Just did the download now I'll hit the alpha key on the screen and it does not register. Only happens in landscape mode. Only tried it on imessage and SMS, did not try email yet.

- iPhone 6 w/ 128GB

- Purchased directly from an AT&T Store, in US

- iOS 8.0.2 (12A405)

- Native iOS Keyboard

Oct 3, 2014 8:28 AM in response to Vlad MARIN

I am also experiencing problems with the messaging app in landscape mode. Although I am not experiencing graphic overlays, the keyboard will freeze and force me to type in portrait mode. Also, if I start in portrait mode, it will refuse to switch to landscape when I turn the phone. No third party keyboard apps are installed.

iphone 6 64gb 8.0.2

Oct 4, 2014 7:27 AM in response to sickhouse

I am having very similar issues on an iPhone 5s, but they only seem to be happening in the texting app. When I switch from portrait to landscape sometimes the entire screen goes black and I need to click the home button to get it to come back. Often times I just can't type and I need to switch back to portrait and start typing there and then switch back to landscape. There is definitely something buggy going on here.

Oct 14, 2014 11:25 AM in response to Vlad MARIN

I have the same problem too. Keyboard locks up sometimes while texting in landscape. Sometimes when switching from portrait to landscape the screen goes black and then comes back on after a few seconds and looks like it's taking a voice message or something.

I have an iPhone 6, 128gb running iOS 8.0.

I've also discovered a security flaw (that I can't find anything about on the net); If you swipe to accept a phone call from your lock screen, when you end the call you have full access to your phone. Whereas it used to go back to the lock screen after ending the call!!

Apple seem to have got it very wrong with iOS 8

Oct 14, 2014 6:39 PM in response to Vlad MARIN

Same thing here when switching to landscape. iphone 6, 8.0.2

Unfortunately I see others have the same issue(s)

Happens in messaging more than any other app. Screen will go black for a few seconds then the keyboard wont function until returned to portrait mode.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's the phone or iOS updates. From my though process poor touch response along the screen edges (got this too) is probably not the OS.

bordering on annoying enough to think about ditching apple.

iPhone 6/iOS 8 Landscape Keyboard Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.