Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacPro monitor setup with LG 34" problem.

I bought a Macpro and decided to use a 34" LG monitor which is ultra wide and has a thunderbolt port. I couldn't get the monitor to work depite connecting via the thunderbolts. I tried connecting via the HDMI ports too but the screen doesn't boot. I can change settings of the monitor and it looks like it's ok. the LG monitor was advertised as MacPro ready so I bought it rather than the very expensive 4K monitors. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks.

Posted on Sep 30, 2014 11:32 PM

16 replies

Oct 1, 2014 1:08 AM in response to vman1027

Monitor's/TV do not have Thunderbolt ports. Some have displayports and mini displayports. The Thunderbolt port supports video out via a mini display port.

Just how di yo connect the monitor to the Mac Pro?

Did yo select the right input on the monitor?

It should work fine with a mini displayport connection to the monitor.

Note that although a Thunderbolt cable end looks like a mini displayport cable end they are not interchangeable. Yo need to use a mini displayport/display port cable for video

Oct 1, 2014 6:50 AM in response to lllaass

The LG 34UM95 has thunderbolt input so that's how I connected it to the Mac Pro, thunderbolt to thunderbolt. when I turn on the Mac the screen is just blank. I could make adjustments on the monitor settings thru the monitor itself So I know the monitor must be ok. I tried connecting using HDMI instead of thunderbolt but the same thing happens. I could hear the MacPro running though cause it's asking me my preferred language but the monitor screen is blank. Do you think I need another connection? The monitor has 2 thunderbolt inputs in the back.

Oct 1, 2014 9:06 AM in response to vman1027

Your monitor does have both Thunderbolt ports and a displayport in addition to an HDMI port.

Per the manual (page 16) is is not clear what the Thunderbolt port is really for except it mention dual monitors

You can download the manual here:

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-34UM95-P#

What cable are you using? To use the Thunderbolt port you need a Thunderbolt cable which is different than a mini displayport cable eventhough they will both plug into either a mini displayport or Thunderbolt port.

What I would do would be to get a displayport to mini displayport cable (about $10) and use that for the video.

Feb 28, 2015 12:45 PM in response to vman1027

I had an issue connecting the monitor to 2 different MacBook Pros using an Apple Thunderbolt cable. The monitor never show in the list of Thunderbolt devices on my MacBook Pro. However the monitor worked fine when I switched to another Thunderbolt cable I had (OWC brand). After some further testing, I found I simply had a bad Thunderbolt cable.

Feb 10, 2016 4:01 AM in response to vman1027

I had the same problem. LG 34" worked great with my Mac Mini but was black when I bought a late 15 iMac 27". Called LG and they told me that monitor won't work on a 2015 iMac so I reluctantly put the monitor on eBay. Before it sold I thought I'd contact Mac support and the genius senior advisor I spoke with walked me through a few steps and cleared out some old junk files and settings and then presto....LG 34" worked. Glad I didn't sell it!

MacPro monitor setup with LG 34" problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.