Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

7.1 Upgrade Ruined SharePoint Top Link Bar

Since upgrading to Safari 7.1, my SharePoint top link bar is all messed up.

Each tab goes across the entire screen such that half my site is top link bar now.

It's like a row per tab.

Chrome on Mac and Firefox on Mac look fine.

For what it's worth IE looks fine too. Yea.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 1, 2014 9:56 PM

3 replies

Oct 2, 2014 9:16 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I'm having a similar problem in my sharepoint 2010 environment. I have the sliverlight plugin installed. This isn't isolated to my machine but is common to all macs where I work.

In my case each of the sections in the top link bar usually has a drop down that when clicked shows several sub pages (like a small menu). on the safari update to 7.1 the drop downs no longer function and when you click the arrow where the drop down is the whole main page refreshes. I've also seen many other odd things. after editing a wiki page users can no longer save the page changes. The save button in the ribbon has no icon and clicking the space where the icon should be does nothing. Also some of the font sizes and styles have all changed.

Its really frustrating. So much of my work depends on using this share point environment. I'm probably going to need to use IE in my windows 8 VM just to access share point. annoying really.

May 26, 2015 1:44 PM in response to Corticorp

I believe I found a fix to this issue, which we just noticed with some new iPads introduced into the environment.

SharePoint 2010 parses the browser's user agent string to determine compatibility with various features - and it interprets Safari's " AppleWebKit/600.1.17" string as version 60, rather than version 600, due to a bad job of writing a regex. Version 60 is apparently an ancient version of Safari that cannot handle tab link bar thingy, so SharePoint sends a rendering as you describe. The fix is to create an entirely new .browser file (for example, called SafariFix.browser) and put it in the App_Browser folder off the site's IIS backend, and assuming the .browser file is configured correctly it'll override IIS's understanding of what version 60 of Safari is capable of, and will therefore send a full-feature version of the site to newer Safari browsers.

Please note that I have not fully tested this particular file at this time - I only just now found this after some inexact searching, while this unresolved support forum post was at the top of my searches, so wanted to update it with information that is hopefully helpful to others.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<browsers>
<browser id="Safari6FixOct2014" parentID="Safari60">
<identification>
<capability name="appleWebTechnologyVersion" match="6\d\d" />
</identification>
<capture>
</capture>
<capabilities>
<capability name="ecmascriptversion" value="1.4" />
<capability name="w3cdomversion" value="1.0" />
<capability name="supportsCallback" value="true" />
</capabilities>
<controlAdapters>
<adapter controlType="System.Web.UI.WebControls.Menu" adapterType="" />
</controlAdapters>
</browser>
</browsers>

7.1 Upgrade Ruined SharePoint Top Link Bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.