Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone vibration pattern different from setting

I've always had my iPhone set to vibrate twice (staccato) for incoming text messages and once (quick) for incoming email. I've changed nothing, but either since I've upgraded to iOS 8 or upgraded to the iPhone 6, now my iPhone always vibrates twice whether I'm receiving an email or a text. This is annoying because I can no longer tell what type of notification I have without looking at the screen. The settings are still set to the defaults--Text: Staccato; Mail: Quick. I've tried changing the mail vibration to staccato and then back to quick and that didn't work; it's still vibrating twice for emails. I tried reseting the phone back to factory settings but it's still not working. I even made a custom vibration pattern that's just one quick vibration and set that for email but it's still vibrating twice. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem so I'm assuming it's not an iOS 8 glitch. I'm having no other issues with the phone. Any idea as to what's causing this issue and how to fix it?

Posted on Oct 1, 2014 8:59 PM

33 replies

Oct 6, 2014 6:39 PM in response to frazier52000

I thought I was taking crazy pills. I asked another iOS8 user on a 5S and they said they weren't experience it (using the default vibration patterns too). So I assume this is tied to iPhone 6 specifically.

The test is pretty simple, turn on the default patterns, put your phone on vibrate, send yourself an e-mail, and you'll get a double vibration that matches the staccato vibration that is used for text messages when the notification comes in.

This seems to only happen when you allow the notification to come in while the phone is in standby, versus refreshing Mail, as refreshing mail does the correct long single vibration.

Oct 7, 2014 2:28 PM in response to frazier52000

Maybe restoring and setting up as a new iPhone instead or restoring from backup would be the only way to fix this? I don't want to do this though if it's a known Apple issue and they're working to fix it in the next iOS update. It seems, though, that if everyone with the iPhone 6 was having this problem there would be more complaints online...

iPhone vibration pattern different from setting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.