Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moon icon in iMessage

My friend and I have both upgraded to ios 8. Now, every imessage she gets from me has a moon symbol next to it. Neither of us has Do Not Disturb on and all other imessages come through without the symbol. Sometimes the moon is a gray crescent and sometimes it is a blue circle with a crescent moon inside it. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of these?

iPhone 5c, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 4:57 AM

32 replies

Sep 30, 2017 3:42 AM in response to jdesoto66

In IOS 11.1 it’s called HIDE ALERTS. Turn this off.....When you open that persons messages click DETAILS in the top right of your screen and in the middle of the details area there should be an option that says HIDE ALERTS. You cannot see this in your settings. Only on the details of that persons messages. It makes the notifications from this person silenced. May come in handy for some people BUT super dumb when you dont mean for it to be on.

Nov 8, 2017 6:51 PM in response to martin4010

Click on the text of the person that has the moon symbol. Then click on the details icon (“i” circled) in the top right hand corner. Scroll down and there’s an option to “Hide Alerts”. If it’s green, then you’re hiding the alerts of that person, which will show the moon symbol. Slide it to off, which will change to gray. Now you will start receiving alerts again from that person. You need to do this for each person who has the moon symbol. There’s nothing in settings that will do this.. only by each individual person in your texts/messages. 😊

Nov 24, 2017 10:13 AM in response to Lukinoapple90

how frustrating is it when someone simply suggest resetting the whole device, for such a simple issue....

such an unhelpful answer, as if resetting the entire device will neatly take care of this, this is a lazy answer, and it will undoubtedly take way longer to reset and re-set-up all the settings, than to just read a few more posts with actually helpful and knowledgable answers.

the moon means that you have switched on 'Hide Alerts', this then means that the alerts when the person has messaged you is no longer active.

(iOS)...go into the chat by that person (the person with the moon icon next to the icon), click top right corner info icon, 'hide alerts' on/off switch...

done

Oct 4, 2014 8:42 PM in response to jdesoto66

I have been trying to figure this out for WEEKS!!! Finally got an answer to it. It is something you turned on accidentally. When you open that persons messages click DETAILS in the top right of your screen and in the middle of the details area there should be an option that says Do Not Disturb. You cannot see this in your settings. Only on the details of that persons messages. It makes the notifications from this person silenced. May come in handy for some people BUT super dumb when you dont mean for it to be on. Im just glad I FINALLY found out how to make it go away haha

HOPE THIS HELPS!!! <3

Moon icon in iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.