Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the keyboard cover text fields ios 8

Why does the keyboard cover text fields in safari in ios 8 in safari? I've never had this problem before, but now when a text field is near the bottom of the page, I can't move it above the keyboard. If there any fix? This is extremely annoying and renders filling in text on many web pages impossible.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 9:25 AM

If the keyboard is up on the middle of the screen, but not split, and you want to move it back to the bottom - tap and hold down on the little keyboard and icon and select - Dock

You can turn the split keyboard off in Settings>General>Keyboard>Split Keyboard>Off.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2014 9:25 AM in response to TeraB

If the keyboard is up on the middle of the screen, but not split, and you want to move it back to the bottom - tap and hold down on the little keyboard and icon and select - Dock

You can turn the split keyboard off in Settings>General>Keyboard>Split Keyboard>Off.

Oct 3, 2014 10:24 AM in response to TeraB

That's definitely one of these glitches that have cropped up with iOS 8.0 and 8.0.2. I've had that problem, although it's minor and can sometimes be "worked around". I have a hardware keyboard I can use, so when I encounter a situation in which I can't get around it, I can activate my keyboard and get around it that way. It's definitely something Apple will have to fix in their future upgrade and bug fix.

Oct 3, 2014 11:05 AM in response to Magicalwanda

I Don't know what you mean by "it won't lt me select anything". What are you referring to when you say "it"?

Can you turn the feature off in the setrings like I described - assuming that this is in fact the problem that you are experiencing.... Or are you saying that you cannot hold down on the keyboard icon to get the "Dock" option?

Oct 9, 2014 4:55 AM in response to Demo

This happens to me also. The keyboard will move down as you mentioned, using the little icon. But the point is, you are trying to type to respond to something (even in iMessage) and it would help to see the previous text/post one is replying to. We can't see it since the keyboard is in the way. I have to keep toggling it up and down. I'm very disappointed in the 8.0.2 update. Everything is running slower on my ipad now too. If the previou field were scrolled up higher, that would also solve it. I wonder if the problem has to do with the extra space needed at the top of the iPad keyboard for the "suggested text" feature (which I don't want)?

Oct 19, 2014 8:15 AM in response to TeraB

I had the exact same problem on my iPad Air and it's working fine now. Try toggling your keyboard a few times between split and regular using the keyboard key in the lower right corner. I also then docked the keyboard a few times. The turned-off/rebooted the iPad and it's worked fine ever since. I stumbled upon the fix reading another post, and it did work although not sure why. My guess is toggling the keyboard and rebooting updated something in the "registry".

Oct 19, 2014 2:26 PM in response to TeraB

This solved it for me. I only needed to split it once before it was fixed (but shouldn't have had to do it at all). Thanks, chuck9999, you're my hero!

User uploaded file User uploaded fileLevel 1(0 points) chuck9999Oct 19, 2014 8:15 AM Re: Why does the keyboard cover text fields ios 8
Re: Why does the keyboard cover text fields ios 8in response to TeraB
I had the exact same problem on my iPad Air and it's working fine now. Try toggling your keyboard a few times between split and regular using the keyboard key in the lower right corner. I also then docked the keyboard a few times. The turned-off/rebooted the iPad and it's worked fine ever since. I stumbled upon the fix reading another post, and it did work although not sure why. My guess is toggling the keyboard and rebooting updated something in the "registry".

Why does the keyboard cover text fields ios 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.