Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen turned off (goes black) during phone call and won't wake up

During a phone call, if the screen goes black (I presume due to the proximity sensor), the phone will sometimes not wake up - even with the home button - and not allow me to access the touch screen. It's frustrating if I receive another call (call waiting) or if I have an option to press.

My first iPhone 6 required a hard reset (home plus power) to take it out of this mode. The replacement phone I received from the Apple store will wake up with the home button after the call terminates, but not during the call. This is not a situation where the lighting in the room is too dark for the screen to wake up. The event will happen during the day in a room lit by sunlight.

It also seems that the situation happens when I call a phone and go to voice mail or have a number option to press (1, for sales, 2 for tech support, etc) - but perhaps that is the only time I notice the issue as that is when it would be meaningful for me to access the screen.

In case it matters, I have a black 64GB iPhone 6 for use on the Verizon network. I have also upgraded to 8.02.

Any help would be appreciated as I find it hard to believe that this is a hardware issue that has occurred on two phones.

iPhone 6, iOS 8, ios 8.02

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 12:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 9:30 AM

Same problem here. No case, no screen protector. iPhone 6 laying on its back in speakerphone mode on my desk. After a few minutes talking, screen went dark. Couldn't get control of the phone back until a few minutes after the other person had hung up. I did notice the phone got quite hot. No other processes-just the speakerphone conversation at the time. 64GB, iOS 8.02

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2014 9:30 AM in response to natgeoff

Same problem here. No case, no screen protector. iPhone 6 laying on its back in speakerphone mode on my desk. After a few minutes talking, screen went dark. Couldn't get control of the phone back until a few minutes after the other person had hung up. I did notice the phone got quite hot. No other processes-just the speakerphone conversation at the time. 64GB, iOS 8.02

Jan 30, 2017 11:43 AM in response to natgeoff

Same problem here. Also have the same issue when using Skype or Facebook Messenger video chat. Found some intermediate solutions (one mentioned by somebody else in the forum):

1. When making a phone call plugging in a headset seems to stabilise the screen - full functionality.

2. When making a video chat, the opposite stands true. The screen goes black if the headset is plugged in!!! In this case. Unplugging the headset solves the problem.

Strange...pity Apple doesn't offer a fix.

Feb 2, 2017 9:08 PM in response to KentCDillon

My calls are not dropping but whenever I go to voicemail, I can't select any numbers to get my calls. Instead, the screen flashes on and off and the voice says, "Are you still there?". So, it's still active but won't allow me to use the screen. Then, same thing if I need to dial an extension or use the speaker. After I dial the number, I can't press anything for an extension or go to speaker mode, yet the call is still active. Once I exit the call (using my off button at the top of the phone because I can't press the "end" button) the screen is back to normal. It's extremely frustrating.

Perhaps the new SIM card will fix this too?

May 23, 2017 5:16 PM in response to tudor1

I am experiencing the exact same issue on my iPhone 5 (OS version 10.3.2) - it's maddening when trying to navigate an (already frustrating) automated menu system - I wasted a perfectly good (and expensive) tempered Glas screen protector for nothing - this issue is not related to the phone proximity sensor, that much is apparent - however, plug in a headset and the problem is gone! VERY weird, and a big "thanks for nothing" to Apple for letting us all muddle into this solution ( which, is not truly a solution, but actually, just a workaround) on our own! Typical Apple response (fingers in ears, I can't hear you , LALALALALALALALALALA!). I know this will sound trite but stuff like this NEVER happened and creainly would not go ignored by Apple When Steve Jobs was at the helm......true story. 😟

Dec 4, 2017 8:48 AM in response to natgeoff

I also have this problem.

Symptoms:

1) iPhone 6 s (but I think I also had it with my 6). ATT is the provider.

2) Screen is black and unresponsive

3) Can still hear prompts and hold music

4) There is a particular problem getting the number 1 to work for prompts

Basically it only happens when I am

1) put on a hold line

2) going through a phone tree

3) leaving a voicemail

Solution:

Do a hard reset by holding down the the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

Real Solution:

Apple needs to figure out that this is a software problem and come up with a fix. Hey how about it Apple? You have a lot of smart people there. Are you up to the task?

Oct 8, 2014 6:55 AM in response to natgeoff

Hi natgeoff,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I can imagine it would be frustrating to have multiple devices with the same proximity issue, where the screen remains black while on a call. Take a look at the article linked below and try the suggestions provided, like testing the iPhone without a protective case.

iPhone: Hardware troubleshooting

After finishing a call the display remains black

1. If the iPhone is in a protective case, remove it from the case.
  2. If there is a protective or antiglare film on the display, remove the film.
  3. Clean the screen, especially around the receiver, with a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth.
  4. Try turning iPhone off and then on again.

I hope this helps,

-Jason

Feb 27, 2015 5:25 AM in response to natgeoff

I have an Iphone 6 running the latest 8.1.3 and I've had this happen to me twice. I called Verizon and they reset the network on their end. Told them I'd wait and see if it happens again. If it does I want a replacement. Never had this happen before on any IOS device. Also opened a ticket with Apple but I need to reset everything as part of the troubleshooting and I just am not near a machine that maintains my Itunes so I put that on hold for now.

Has anyone gotten a better response from Apple on this or has anyone found anything published as to why this is happening.

Beginning to lose faith in Apple.

Mar 4, 2015 1:06 AM in response to natgeoff

Folks

With 8.1.3 on a 16GB iPhone 6 a hard reboot with the power restored the phone for a black screen. Judging by the response from Apple and Verizon they don't know why this occurred or what to do to fix it.

The reset method from Apple is a just start over solution. This occurred on a support call where press 4 was the option. Removing the case and powering down got the phone back. I could then return the Spigen case. I didn't remove the tempered glass protection.

I will wait to see if this happens again before calling Apple Tech support.

Apr 13, 2015 5:24 AM in response to natgeoff

I am having this same problem. Thankfully it isn't just me, BUT obviously Apple doesn't have a fix???

Phone: iPhone 6, 64g black

Doesn't matter if case is on or not, and mine doesn't only happen if I have to press a "number key" for support. Sometimes it just happens when I am only talking. Has happened both on a call with phone to ear, and on speaker with phone laying flat on desk.

ALSO: I've noticed if I'm on a speaker call, my phone will randomly go to contacts and start dialing other numbers - as if its on a voice command. Yet I haven't found any voice command option that is on. 😟

I am beginning to wonder why I switched back to Apple product.

Apr 28, 2015 10:43 AM in response to natgeoff

This began happening to me after I installed 8.3.

The first time I was on a call that required me to press a number to continue and not being able to - the message kept looping around telling me to choose an option for a half an hour until the phone finally disconnected. Suddenly about ten minutes later the screen came on and worked as if nothing happened. Meanwhile my minutes were eaten up.

Very frustrating!!!!

It has since gone black three more times.

I didn't know about the option to hold power and home button. I'll try that next time.

Removing the case seems like a cop out if you ask me. Just something to keep you busy until the screen decides to come back on.

Why are they not responding with a better answer to our complaints?????????????????

May 13, 2015 7:20 AM in response to natgeoff

Same issue for me - and clearly part of one of the recent updates. This was never the iPhone's behavior in the past. The biggest problem for me is taking conference calls and being on mute. If the screen goes black and I now need to suddenly take myself off mute to answer a question, etc., I have to first unlock the phone and turn off mute - which introduces a very awkward delay in my responsiveness.

I would highly encourage Apple to revert back to the previous behavior and leave the call screen on 100% of the time. If battery consumption is the issue, users can always plug in their phone for lengthy calls (where feasible) or manually black the screen to help conserve power.

Screen turned off (goes black) during phone call and won't wake up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.