Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

carplay and waze and Beats

How do you get Waze and Beats Music to display on a Carplay compatible radio? I have a Pionner AVH-4000NEX in my wifes car and it works great with the phone, Maps, Messages, and Podcasts, but I really want Waze and Beats Music. The Apple Carplay page says Beats Music is compatible.

All apps seem to play through the radio, but the ones that are not included in the Carplay screen have to be controlled from the phone and the Waze maps do not display on the radio.

Is this a configuration setting I have not found, or is this something that is not supported.

Thanks

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 9, 2014 6:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2014 8:48 AM

Thetonka wrote:

How do you get Waze and Beats Music to display on a Carplay compatible radio? I have a Pionner AVH-4000NEX in my wifes car and it works great with the phone, Maps, Messages, and Podcasts, but I really want Waze and Beats Music. The Apple Carplay page says Beats Music is compatible.

All apps seem to play through the radio, but the ones that are not included in the Carplay screen have to be controlled from the phone and the Waze maps do not display on the radio.

Is this a configuration setting I have not found, or is this something that is not supported.

Thanks

Two answers for your question.

Beats Music has been announced as supporting CarPlay but their CarPlay compatible update has not come out yet (as far as I know)

Waze has not had an official announcement that they are supporting CarPlay but CarPlay support sounds like a no brainer for them so I bet Waze will be supported at some point.

Much like Podcasts and Spotify, apps that support CarPlay should just work. As of now there is no need to configure anything as any app that is CarPlay compatible will appear automatically.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2014 8:48 AM in response to Thetonka

Thetonka wrote:

Thanks

Two answers for your question.

Beats Music has been announced as supporting CarPlay but their CarPlay compatible update has not come out yet (as far as I know)

Waze has not had an official announcement that they are supporting CarPlay but CarPlay support sounds like a no brainer for them so I bet Waze will be supported at some point.

Much like Podcasts and Spotify, apps that support CarPlay should just work. As of now there is no need to configure anything as any app that is CarPlay compatible will appear automatically.

Nov 16, 2014 6:27 PM in response to friky19

Yes I figured it out.

Waze works with AppRadio, but not Carplay. Beats works with AppRadio, but not Carplay. Hopefully support will be added for these two apps in the future.

Even without these the Carplay experience is great. The simplicity of the interface makes it great to use in the car, especially when driving as it keeps distracting functionality out of the experience and makes it easy to get the information and functionality you want, without distractions to driving.

Jan 29, 2015 8:08 AM in response to Marcus Hansson

I'm not surprised that Apple blocks other Nav apps. Not happy about it. I find that the rerouting and social aspects of Waze is superior to all the other apps I have tried. Though my wife has had a lot of trouble with Waze giving her bad directions, on her Galaxy S5. But then, she has had a lot of trouble with the S5, and we will be getting her a 6+ this weekend.

Jan 29, 2015 8:09 AM in response to Thetonka

I added the latest Pioneer firmware to my NEX radio. I am hoping it fixes some of the bugs I have experienced that have made the radio phone combo with Carplay very unstable.

I still do not see Beats Music, even though I see on the internet, including Apple's site, that Beats is supported with CarPlay. What is the story on this?

May 25, 2015 5:03 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair wrote:

ffrcoupe wrote:

Do you think Google wants to sell it?

Nope.

Which would make it rather difficult for Apple to buy it, I think.

True, true.

But I still want to use Waze with Carplay. 🙂

As it is, I'm going to have to use Waze in App Radio mode on my Pioneer head unit which *****.

I guess I will have to switch back and forth between Carplay and App Radio mode depending on what I want to do which prolly won't work that well.

Or Apple can add community-based traffic info to Maps. 👿

May 25, 2015 11:15 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair wrote:

ffrcoupe wrote:

Meg St._Clair wrote:

ffrcoupe wrote:

Do you think Google wants to sell it?

Nope.

Which would make it rather difficult for Apple to buy it, I think.

True, true.

But I still want to use Waze with Carplay. 🙂

👿

Sounds like a good suggestion to make to Google.

Google and Apple would have to agree on it and I don't really see that happening.

carplay and waze and Beats

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.