Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost ability to choose 3440x1440 resolution

I have an LG 34UM95 connected via TB on a Late 2012 mac mini.

After the Yosemite install, I no longer have the option of choosing 3440x1440 resolution in the Displays preferences.

I did do the Option->Scaled bit to see the extended list of choices, but nothing higher than 2560x1080 shows up.

Can I get my 3440x1440 resolution back?

Mac mini (Late 2012), Other OS

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 4:56 PM

74 replies

Oct 17, 2014 11:46 PM in response to Josh Pike

After playing around (unsuccessfully with SwitchResX) I checked my old Backups of the situation a day prior to Upgrade to Yosemite.

Interesting stuff: I restored from an earlier TimeMachine Backup the specific Display Profile File (used on Maverick & Yosemite for 34UM95 --> checked with ioreg command) to my MacBookPro (System/Libraries/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-1e6d) and so far - even as Dualscreen - my 34UM95 can be used with native resolution 3440x1440 (connected to Thunderbolt). --> so this should work eventually for you guys, having a 34UM95 connected to a MacBook as second screen. In Display Settings (OS X) the resolution 3440x1440 is shown and I can choose between 60Hz (NTSC), 50 or 30Hz PAL

The File used for 34UM95 seems to be "DisplayProductID-76db" (checked on MacBookPro as well MacMini): Prior to Yosemite Update it was from 28th Feb. After Yosemite it has ChangeDate of 9th September. Internally (binary/hex coded settings) it seems to be different to the Yosemite version as well in Yosemite there is a string attribute LG ULTRAWIDE, where as the old file just keeps the same values 7789 for VendorID and DisplayProduct 30427

On my MacMini I unfortunately started TimeMachine Restore back to Maverick yesterday (still restoring). Eventually I will upgrade again to Yosemite and try to exchange this File with Maverick version.....on my MacBookPro (Late2013, 13'') it seems to work some, though....

Oct 18, 2014 12:52 AM in response to fboesch

This sounds like a real deal - unfortunately the file you mentioned - on my time machine backup - is from July. I tried to simply replace the Yosemite-File and it didn't work. I rebooted the machine and held down the option key while clicking on "scaled" - nothing :-/ Is there a way you could post or send this file to this group? Help is very much appreciated :-)

Thank you for your helpful post!

Regards, Frederic

Oct 18, 2014 1:11 AM in response to fboesch

thanx fboesch for little workaround, but it not help.

I tried clean install also and not work, the install software also just work in a 2560x1080 resolution.

I replace older display overrides, but no changes.

Just my MB Air MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013) works great after update with 3440x1440 and 34UM95 (Display Overrides also 9.9.14).

Lost ability to choose 3440x1440 resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.