Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your iPhone is not configured to make phone calls using your mac."

Shortly after downloading the full version of OS Yosemite, I tried making a phone call from my mac, and got this message, "Your iPhone is not configured to make phone calls using your mac."

I am not quite sure what to do next, any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 3:48 PM

31 replies

Oct 19, 2014 11:08 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I checked all of this below. It still doesn't work. I can make a FaceTime call, but not a phone call.

John

Get help using Continuity with iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite

Symptoms

Occasionally when you use Continuity with your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, you might find that a phone call doesn't transfer to your other devices. You might not see the Handoff app icons where they should be. Or Instant Hotspot might not share the Internet with your other devices. Learn how to fix these issues.

Resolution

If a Continuity feature like Handoff, phone calls, Instant Hotspot, or SMS messages isn't working the way you'd expect, make sure your devices meet the requirements. Then check your settings.

Check System Requirements

Handoff and Instant Hotspot

Handoff and Instant Hotspot are supported by the following Mac models, and require OS X Yosemite.

• MacBook Air (Mid 2012 and later)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 and later)
  • iMac (Late 2012 and later)
  • Mac mini (Late 2012 and later)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Handoff is supported by the following iOS devices and requires iOS 8. Instant Hotspot requires one of these iPhone or iPad devices with cellular connectivity and iOS 8.1. Instant Hotspot also requires Personal Hotspot service through your carrier.

• Phone 5 or later
  • iPhone 4s (sharing iPhone calls only)
  • iPad (4th generation), iPad Air, iPad Air 2
  • iPad mini, iPad mini with Retina display, iPad mini 3
  • iPod touch (5th generation)

Handoff works with an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with a Lightning connector and iOS 8.
Instant Hotspot works with an iPhone or iPad with cellular connectivity with a Lightning connector and iOS 8.1. Instant Hotspot requires Personal Hotspot service through your carrier.

Phone calling

Phone calling requires an iPhone with iOS 8 and an activated carrier plan.
Phone calling works with any iOS device that supports iOS 8 and any Mac that supports Yosemite.

SMS

SMS requires an iPhone with iOS 8.1 and an activated carrier plan.
SMS works with any iOS device with iOS 8.1 and any Mac that supports Yosemite.

Check your settings

Check the following settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

• Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and turn on Wi-Fi if necessary.
  • Make sure your iOS devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network by going to Settings > Wi-Fi and comparing the name of the network each is on.
  • Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn on Bluetooth if necessary.
  • Go to Settings > General > Handoff & Suggested Apps and make sure Handoff is on.
  • Go to Settings > Phone. If you see Wi-Fi Calling, turn it off.

Check the following settings on your Mac:

• Go to the Wi-Fi icon at the top of your screen and turn on Wi-Fi if necessary.
  • Make sure your Mac and iOS devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi on your iOS device and compare the name of the network with the Wi-Fi network on your Mac.
  • Go to the Bluetooth icon at the top of your screen and turn on Bluetooth if necessary.
  • In System Preferences > General, select “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.” If you don't see this setting, your Mac may not support Handoff.
  • Open the FaceTime app, go to FaceTime > Preferences and turn on “iPhone Cellular Calls.”
  • Go to System Preferences, and sign out and then sign in again to your iCloud account.

If your device can't access the Internet using Instant Hotspot

If you don't see the option to use your iPhone or cellular-enabled iPad as an available Wi-Fi network, make sure that your cellular provider has provisioned Personal Hotspot on your device.

Last Modified: Oct 17, 2014

Oct 19, 2014 11:15 AM in response to allocca

That error message usually means that one of the settings on the iPhone is incorrect. Check them again. Also, be sure that the Facetime app preferences on your Mac has "iPhone Cellular Calls" turned on.

After double-checking all settings if it still doesn't work do the last step, logging out of iCloud on your computer, then logging in again. Choose to delete each of the items; if you don't you will end up with duplicates when you turn it back on.

Oct 23, 2014 10:05 PM in response to patrickredsox

I'm using a new iMac with Yosemite, an iPhone with iOS 8.1. They are paired with bluetooth and both on the same wi-fi network.

When I try to call a number from 'Contacts' on the Mac the notification pops up: ' iPhone calls not available, your phone is not configured to allow calls using your mac'

On the iPhone, when I try to turn on 'iPhone mobile calls', a pop-up 'Cannot turn on iPhone mobile calls, FaceTime and iCloud must be signed in to the same apple ID to use iPhone mobile calls.

FaceTime and iCloud are logged in to the same apple id on both the iMac and the iPhone.

Oct 24, 2014 2:31 AM in response to patrickredsox

Make sure that Facetime on your iPhone is ALSO configured to use your iCloud address / Apple ID (settings -> Facetime). It needs to be the same account that you use on your Mac.

If its only configured to use your phone number then you won't be able to make calls from your Mac, resulting in this error message appearing.

:-)

"Your iPhone is not configured to make phone calls using your mac."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.