Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite: Turning off Macbook Pro screen (lid open) with external monitor connected

Here we go again, this worked pre-Yosemite. Now it seems this trick no longer works. After following these steps again the screen on my Macbook Pro now turns on after logging in and opening the clam shell.

Anyone figure out/know a way to turn off the screen on the Macbook Pro with external monitors plugged in? (yes, closing the clam shell–but I'm referring to keeping the clam shell open with the display turned off)

http://gizmodo.com/5938452/a-trick-to-make-using-an-external-monitor-with-your-m acbook-way-better

To execute in Terminal:

sudo nvram boot-args="iog=0x0"

To undo in Terminal:

sudo nvram -d boot-args

Once you type it into terminal I believe you need to enter your password. I then restart my machine. Now the TRICK is to either restart your machine with the lid already closed (hit restart then slam the lid!) OR turn the machine on for the first time (then quickly slam the lid!) once you are past the login screen you can open the lid.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 6:20 PM

I use a small refrigerator magnet on the very left hand side of the laptop towards the middle of the holes for the speaker. There is a small magnet in the lid and a sensor in the body and when you close the lid a magnet activated switch shuts the laptop screen off when plugged in, when UNPLUGGED it will put the computer to sleep. i think it depends on your energy settings and what to do when the lid closes?

59 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2014 6:20 PM in response to kkwan77

I use a small refrigerator magnet on the very left hand side of the laptop towards the middle of the holes for the speaker. There is a small magnet in the lid and a sensor in the body and when you close the lid a magnet activated switch shuts the laptop screen off when plugged in, when UNPLUGGED it will put the computer to sleep. i think it depends on your energy settings and what to do when the lid closes?

Oct 16, 2014 6:50 PM in response to SonicSoundVW

Yes, read about this workaround before, but I'd prefer to keep magnets far away from my Macbook Pro.

Looking for a software solution to turn this off as mentioned in my post and link that worked flawlessly on Mavericks.

And the other option is to turn down the brightness, which of course is not the same as turning it off. The GPU is still sending signal out to the display.

Main reason for doing this for keeping the airflow open and the system as cool as possible without wasting resources. (i.e., powering the display when it's not being used)

Oct 17, 2014 9:35 AM in response to kkwan77

I'm experiencing the same issue and would like to know how to fix it in software. I also don't want to have magnets near my computer, and if I close the computer my already flaky wifi connection (I'm a bit far from the router) becomes almost unusable.

I'm honestly surprised that the ability to have the notebook open with its screen off when plugged to an external monitor has not been included as a feature in any of the latest versions of OS X.

Oct 17, 2014 5:18 PM in response to jorisvda

I agree, they really need to add this feature to turn off the internal display with an external monitor connected. I have no idea why they haven't integrated this feature, unless they want people's Macbook Pro's to overheat thus raking in the repair charges and Apple Care.

I even sent feedback asking for this feature so we don't to resort to tricks in order to achieve this.

It's beyond me why such a useful feature isn't available.

Oct 18, 2014 12:05 AM in response to kkwan77

Has anyone experimented with tip 2 (active corners)? Perhaps it still works.

http://www.cultofmac.com/176329/turn-off-internal-lcd-display-of-your-macbook-ai r-os-x-tips/

Κοσμά τι λες; Τα έχεις μπερδέψει. Άλλο συζητάμε εδώ. Το ότι δεν μπορείς πια να δουλεύεις μόνο με την εξωτερική οθόνη (να έχεις σβηστή την ενσωματωμένη οθόνη όταν έχεις συνδεμένη εξωτερική).

Yosemite: Turning off Macbook Pro screen (lid open) with external monitor connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.