Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is my sidebar in itunes 12.0.1.26?

So, just updated to the newest version. Once I got it pointed at the correct location for my files, I noticed that I can no longer see the sidebar. I looked through all of the preferences and menu options and it's not there.

Is there any way to get this feature back? I'm not interested in the "new" views and certainly don't find them appealing in any way/shape/form. I prefer to keep my system "sane" and the same all of the time.

Hope some one can point me to a "hidden" option to get this turned back on again.

Thanks,

Pete

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 6:05 PM

37 replies

Oct 17, 2014 5:36 AM in response to gumsie

believe me i have reached out to apple numerous times but it doesnt ever get anywhere. I would love for them to go back to the itunes where you could have the equalizer playing in the box where it shows you what songs are playing now. But my opinions dont matter much unless 5,000,000 people felt the same way. All this bright colorful stuff is to familiar with windows 8 (yuck) and ios 8 on my iphone is stillllll messed up after 12 attempts with apple at trying to fix the same issues.

Oct 18, 2014 5:58 AM in response to pdurst481

I have the same concerns as all of you guys. I sent my feedback to apple.com/feedback. If enough people tell them in an organized way that we want our sidebar option back, then they may change it to allow for this option.

And to Jersey33w, though you are only one voice in a sea of many, your voice DOES matter. In my experience, Apple is one of the few companies that makes its products with our specific needs in mind. You have to keep at it though.

P.S. Jersey33w, if your phone is messed up, I encourage you to make a genius bar appointment or try restoring to a previous backup and trying to reinstall IOS 8. Keep in mind, if you are running IOS 8 on an iPhone 4S, your phone may not be physically powerful enough to fully support the operating system with fluidity. If you, like me, are super busy and can't readily make a Genius Bar appointment, you can try resetting your settings and this may help solve whatever issue you may have (Settings, General, Reset, Reset All Settings). This will not erase any data or content, but it will reset all settings back to the default. This includes wifi passwords, any privacy lock settings you may have placed on the phone (i.e. touch id), accessibility settings, possibly even downloaded keyboards. Sometimes, when you change operating systems, some of the settings get messed up along the way and resetting them helps. In my case, it was a battery issue. I hope this helps.

Oct 18, 2014 6:01 AM in response to Jersey33w

I kinda replied in the wrong space, but here was my reply in hopes that it can help you with your phone issues.

"I have the same concerns as all of you guys. I sent my feedback to apple.com/feedback. If enough people tell them in an organized way that we want our sidebar option back, then they may change it to allow for this option.

And to Jersey33w, though you are only one voice in a sea of many, your voice DOES matter. In my experience, Apple is one of the few companies that makes its products with our specific needs in mind. You have to keep at it though.

P.S. Jersey33w, if your phone is messed up, I encourage you to make a genius bar appointment or try restoring to a previous backup and trying to reinstall IOS 8. Keep in mind, if you are running IOS 8 on an iPhone 4S, your phone may not be physically powerful enough to fully support the operating system with fluidity. If you, like me, are super busy and can't readily make a Genius Bar appointment, you can try resetting your settings and this may help solve whatever issue you may have (Settings, General, Reset, Reset All Settings). This will not erase any data or content, but it will reset all settings back to the default. This includes wifi passwords, any privacy lock settings you may have placed on the phone (i.e. touch id), accessibility settings, possibly even downloaded keyboards. Sometimes, when you change operating systems, some of the settings get messed up along the way and resetting them helps. In my case, it was a battery issue. I hope this helps."

Oct 18, 2014 6:10 AM in response to Jersey33w

Hi Jersey33w,

I agree that this gets a partial sidebar back into view and thank you for pointing it out, however it isn't the same as the sidebar in the previous versions of itunes. I noted that when I plug my ipad into the system, that it shows up as a device on the top bar and that when selected, it has a sidebar associated with it too. So to clarify, the main shift is that the devices that used to have top bar tabs to select, to see the various aspects of their configuration, they now have a sidebar and the main items that had been in a sidebar in the previous version, now have tabs on the top bar (top bar is my name, not sure what's it's really called, sorry...). Can we reverse this? I mean it doesn't make any sense to move things around, "for the sake of moving them". These kind of changes are what drove me away from M$ windows, every version changing stuff, just for the sake of changing it.

So, lets put the main items back into the sidebar and the devices data back on the top and restore our sanity.

(BTW, I did put negative feedback on the new look of iTunes).

Pete

Oct 18, 2014 6:41 AM in response to pdurst481

Can anyone please tell me how to get rid of this piece of ***** and get 11.4 back on my machine? I mostly only use it for synching my devices wirelessly and now I can't see them unless they are hardwired onto my Mac. I have a copy of 11.4 (not a dmg though) on my old disk drive, but it won't let me uninstall v12 😕
It's not just the same stuff presented differently - the whole usefulness of having a sidebar that allows you to see and manage your devices has gone completely and I want it back because that is what I use. On top of that it seems to have randomly decided to attach books for iBooks to albums in iTunes - ***?

Oct 18, 2014 7:38 AM in response to pdurst481

Same issue here - sending feedback that it would be more user friendly to always display the sidebar.

The sidebar display on Playlist selection is schizophrenic, not to mention it use to be possible to turn off media sections that I didn't want to see. Now they all appear with "..." where I can turn them on/off but I've got to put up with the "..." on my menu bar.

Oct 18, 2014 7:58 AM in response to pdurst481

Also having sidebar issues.

I clicked on the update for my HP printer, but then iTunes also updated. Oh Crap.

I'm in the middle of ripping my large collection of CDs to a 1T drive. On previous versions I used to make a playlist, insert a disc, select all (or some), and drag to that playlist. Why? In album view, iTunes lists all "albums" even if I've only downloaded or ripped one song from an album; a playlist per album lets me search for real albums. Also, I might drag a partial group of songs so as not to download a song I didn't like.

Can't do any of this anymore because CDs are not listed in the sidebar. Now I have to import the whole CD, import the entire CD, select it and drag it to the playlist. I tried selecting just the songs I want to import in the new version—nope. Now I have to go back in and delete the ones I don't want. Seriously? Further, when importing, I need select the import setting each time instead of just setting it to AIFF once as a preference and forgetting about it. Oh goody, one more mouse click; just what I was hoping for.

I didn't ask to update; I only wanted to update printer software. The update adds (several) steps to my process. The sidebar is less useful. The program is less flexible. I even keep looking for a blue icon and now it's red—I'll get over it, but what was the point of that change? What was the point of ANY of these changes? Apple employees may find it fascinating to screw around with their products all day; I just want to get something done. If it ain't broke, don't "fix it".

"This update includes many design and performance improvements that makes iTunes easier and more enjoyable to use." No, not really . . .

Where is my sidebar in itunes 12.0.1.26?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.