Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install Yosemite - failing packages

Hello everybody.

I've been trying to install Yosemite for 4-5 hours without success. Here's how it went:

I have 2014 rMBP 15" running on Mavericks (duh). I downloaded the Yosemite install from App Store and started it. Everything went ok, computer restarted and status bar with '18 minutes remaining' under it appeared. However after few minutes of no activity I got error message saying that file system verification failed. Alright, I restarted the installer and..same thing happened again. After at least 8 restarts I decided to just go back to Mavericks via startup disk. And it wasn't there. Same with safe mode. Only two drives of Yosemite install appear - that's it. I tried to repair the hard disk with no success - it said that it can't be done and I should back up as many files as possible and erase it. I didn't' want to do that since not all my files are backed up. So I went back to restarting. After few more tries I just sacrificed my unbacked up files and erased the hard drive following with network (?) install of Mavericks. Everything went flawless and I'm back.

Then I decided to try installing again since hard drive is verified, fixed and erased. This time it was better - I got to '9 minutes remaining' and then it crashed - the installer couldn't load essentials.pkg. Restarted it. Got to 14 minutes - speech recognition, or something similar, package crashed. Then again. After 3-4 tries I just gave up and reinstalled Mavericks again (I was unable to boot startup disk once again) and now I'm writing here.

Does anyone have any idea what could it be? This is the first time Apple failed something for me - been using its products for 6 years now without any disappointment whatsoever and now this. I can't imagine anything that I've done wrong - I just downloaded the install and launched it.

Also it would be great if your suggestions would stay away from booting from USB stick since I would like to be able not to buy it just for updating my OS.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 7:42 PM

17 replies

Oct 17, 2014 4:26 PM in response to MotasR

Successful attempt by using a live USB and a clean install. What I did:

1. Create the bootable USB with Yosemite installer using DiskMaker X (Apple probably frowns upon this, but whatever).

This is done by downloading the Yosemite installer app from the App Store to /Applications. Make sure you have a >8 GB flash drive or external.

Open DiskMaker and locate the app and let it do its thing (takes awhile). It will let you know when its done.

2. Boot into it by holding the 'option' key at startup. Open Disk Utility and erase Macintosh HD (assuming you have a Time Machine backup to restore data).

From there, the install should run smoothly. Just use the Migration Assistant to restore your data from the Time Machine backup.

EDIT: looks like the DiskMaker X homepage is throwing a server error for now. Here's the direct download link to the version I used:

http://diskmakerx.com/downloads/DiskMaker_X_for_Yosemite_BETA_4b2.zip

Oct 22, 2014 6:21 PM in response to Maharbal

I tried precisely what you describe, Maharbal, with the Diskmaker X and a usb flash drive. On Friday, 17 Oct 2014.

And successfully got the yosemite upgrade on the third flash drive I tried.

It continued with the exact same "unpackaging Essentials.pkg" error at precisely the same 19-minute point.

Malfunctioned in precisely the same way as it had with the download.

This was my post earlier today on the same error in upgrading to Yosemite.

vetusvates

Oct 22, 2014 3:46 PM

Re: Update failing at unpacking "essentials.pkg"

Re: Update failing at unpacking "essentials.pkg"in response to hknobbe

""Had the original same error code (update failing at unpackaging "essentials.pkg"), and was on the phone with apple for 4.5 hours on Friday, 17 Oct 2014.

I have two aluminum 21.5" iMacs, side by side. One is late 2009 (Intel Core 2 Duo processor) and the other is middle 2011 (i5 Quadcore processor).

Both have had their original memories, since purchase, upgraded to 16gb, (non-factory-native).

The older iMac (core 2 duo) upgraded to Yosemite seamlessly,...flawlessly, on Friday 17 Oct.

The newer iMac (quadcore) is the computer that stops at 19 minutes with the error code discussed here. Luckily from time machine, directed by the patient senior apple tech, I could return to 48-hour-earlier Mavericks. And I am still there with the 2011/newer/quadcore. Still awaiting a solution.

The senior tech who stuck with me for almost 5 hours, noticed another tech on the phone with an individual with the same identical error code and problem on the evening of 17 Oct...

I said then that I suspected that this would become an evolving and broader problem.

He agreed, and the two senior apple techs linked their reports to go higher with/in the Apple System.

I do not know if I have 2009 or 2011 original memory sticks conveniently laying around somewhere.

Did not need it, obviously, for the older iMac.

And decline to use it if I have it on the newer iMac.....if when I return the full 16gb ram, I will get error codes.

So.

Still waiting for a solid sound (more profound and broadsweeping) solution from Apple, Inc.

I have the quadcore iMac I want to ugrade, and a 2009-ish Macbook I want to upgrade.

To Yosemite.""

Oct 25, 2014 10:12 PM in response to Maharbal

Update.

So.

I tried again with all fresh new ingredients.

I downloaded (again, but the newest) DiskMaker X app from the link provided above.

I downloaded (again) fresh new Yosemite install from app store. (Took some time.)

I used the new DiskMaker X app to put the new Yosemite on a new fresh clean USB drive. (Really took some time.)

Booted quadcore iMac while pressing alt/options.

Used Disk Utility to "erase MacIntosh HD" (nervously).

Then proceeded to attempt (again) to install/upgrade said quadcore iMac to Yosemite OS.

Field started at 16 minutes remaining, then 15 remaining, then 14, then 13,.....then stopped....same error of 'update failing at unpacking "essentials.pkg" '.

So.

Now.

Again, using Time Machine Backups to restore to hours-ago-version of Mavericks. (Taking some time.)

(Note, there was a time when an "upgrade" and a "clean install" were two different things. Required different things. Is this no longer so?)

I am hoping for any response or help from Apple to use their/our new Yosemite product.

Any help or assistance or response from Apple will be appreciated.

Nov 8, 2014 6:25 PM in response to MotasR

So, I thought for the sake of completion that I would place this post here, from the other very similar thread.

I had success.

Not overwhelming success, but pretty close.

vetusvates

vetusvatesNov 8, 2014 7:09 PM Re: Update failing at unpacking "essentials.pkg"
Re: Update failing at unpacking "essentials.pkg"

in response to hknobbe

So.

Yesterday I had another evening that I was willing to sacrifice on/for the "yosemite project".

Leaving no stone unturned, I thought I had narrowed the 2 x 2gb original iMac ram sticks down to 4 ram sticks (in my collection of various ram sticks).

With a little googling I narrowed it down to the two I believed came with the i5 quadcore.

Took the 4 x 4gb out, put the 2 x 2gb in.

And.....

Yosemite successfully installed...!!!...

Thank you all very much for your input, and "robfromdingley village" pushed me over the edge...of willingness to try the long road...which became the short road.

As well as the successful road.

Returned the 4 x 4gb upgrade, and computer continues to work.

Excellent.

The only oddities I am seeing are :

1) occasional (more than rare) Safari browser crashes...and

2) some apps are slow to respond (for example "Contacts")...and

3) the moderate use temperature often runs high : 135F - 145F.

The slow apps, and force quit "reports" seem to be going to Apple,

as well as the Safari closing down "reports".

So, hopefully these kinks and herky jerky movements will be remedied in the near future.

Again, I thank all of you for your encouragement.

You too, "zephyr".

(I will post this on the other similar thread, too.

Anything that might help another...well...that was me who needed the help this time.

Next time maybe the next person.)

Nov 11, 2014 7:48 PM in response to MotasR

I spoke too soon.

Problem(s) remain unresolved.

I was very disappointed this morning to wake up to this.

Yosemite was not stable--had to revert to Mavericks :

OK, I tolerated the occasional (more than rare) Safari crashes with Yosemite on my i5 quadcore.

But this morning, that iMac did not even power up at designated time. Would not power up. Many times I tried--would not complete boot and come on.

In the back of my mind I had been thinking about a likely distant (now not so distant) outcome of having to go back to Mavericks on this particular iMac, while the older Core 2 Duo upgraded and runs like a charm. (My ESP regarding the i5 seems to be working just fine, too.) 😉 😎

So. I first tried reboot from earlier time machine Yosemite backups, to be thorough. It would not work.

So. I rebooted from a recent good sound Mavericks time machine back up. And here I am.

Cleaned everything up, disk warrior, onyx (sparingly...carefully), and native "disk utility" app.

Looks like I'll be enjoying Mavericks for a while on the nice i5 quadcore.

All of this is for the sake of thoroughness and completion.

I am not boasting.

Complaining....?....a little....maybe more than a little.

MotasR -- I feel your pain, and sympathize.

Sincerely.

Sep 13, 2015 9:42 PM in response to vetusvates

Yes, here I am...still patiently(?) and frustratedly waiting to upgrade my quadcore iMac from Mavericks to Yosemite. Waiting for an upgrade solution. No one, from Apple...to sea to shining sea,...has prescribed the right antidote to what seems to be a problem that Apple is at a minimum ignoring and at a maximum has built in to require the purchase of new iMac computers. I am, as I'm sure Mr. Jobs is, sorely disappointed by Apple having dropped the ball on this one.

Can't install Yosemite - failing packages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.