Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12 incompatible with Windows Vista Data Execution Prevention

I just did a clean install of iTunes 12.0.1 after removing 11.4 and other components as described in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates. I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 with 3 GB RAM. Soon after closing the iTunes GUI, I get a Data Execution Prevention notification:

User uploaded file

I have already tested with every DEP setting except AlwaysOff, which would globally disable an important Windows security feature and is therefore not to be recommended. The problem is apparently a Buffer Overflow Exception. Here are the details from one instance:

Product
iTunes

Problem
Stopped working

Date
10/16/2014 7:37 PM

Status
Report Sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: iTunes.exe
Application Version: 12.0.1.26
Application Timestamp: 543e558b
Fault Module Name: StackHash_d697
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 105059cc
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: d697
Additional Information 2: 2bd40df4cf0a606a4574668730104c34
Additional Information 3: d700
Additional Information 4: cb2d139a5bee9dfc5c0d03df08159e62

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 50

This is actually not a new problem. As an experienced user of 32-bit Vista, I would have to say that the last compatible iTunes version was 11.1.5. See also Windows Vista problem reports after latest Itunes 11.2 update.

iTunes for Windows-OTHER, Windows Vista

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 8:56 PM

1 reply

Jan 5, 2015 1:49 AM in response to Johnny DEP

I have been getting a "Vista Data Execution Prevention" error message whenever I closed iTunes for months now, and after reading through a few forums, I have found a solution that works. Long story short:

1) Start iTunes

2) Open the Windows Task Manager

3) Go to the "Proccess" Tab

4) Find "AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe *32" and right click on it.

5) Select "Properties" from the drop down menu

6) Go to the "Compatibility" Tab

7) Check the Box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"

8) If "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" is not in the field below, click on the down arrow and select said option.

9) Click on "OK" to close the window.

10) Close the iTunes application

11) Reopen the iTunes application

12) Close the iTunes application again.

At this point you should not see anymore "Vista Data Execution Prevention" error messages when you close iTunes!

P.S. If you want to go back and de-select running "AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe *32" in Windows XP Compatibility mode, you can. Though this part is totally optional. The next time you close iTunes, you will get one last "Vista Data Execution Prevention" error message, but don't worry, it will be the last one. Try opening iTunes again and then closing it, and TaDa, no more error messages. I don't know why running AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe *32 in compatibility mode JUST ONCE solves the problem, but it worked for me.

Happy new year \o/

iTunes 12 incompatible with Windows Vista Data Execution Prevention

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.