Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12 incompatible with Windows Vista Data Execution Prevention

I just did a clean install of iTunes 12.0.1 after removing 11.4 and other components as described in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates. I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 with 3 GB RAM. Soon after closing the iTunes GUI, I get a Data Execution Prevention notification:

User uploaded file

I have already tested with every DEP setting except AlwaysOff, which would globally disable an important Windows security feature and is therefore not to be recommended. The problem is apparently a Buffer Overflow Exception. Here are the details from one instance:

Product
iTunes

Problem
Stopped working

Date
10/16/2014 7:37 PM

Status
Report Sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: iTunes.exe
Application Version: 12.0.1.26
Application Timestamp: 543e558b
Fault Module Name: StackHash_d697
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 105059cc
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: d697
Additional Information 2: 2bd40df4cf0a606a4574668730104c34
Additional Information 3: d700
Additional Information 4: cb2d139a5bee9dfc5c0d03df08159e62

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 50

This is actually not a new problem. As an experienced user of 32-bit Vista, I would have to say that the last compatible iTunes version was 11.1.5. See also Windows Vista problem reports after latest Itunes 11.2 update.

iTunes for Windows-OTHER, Windows Vista

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 9:00 PM

95 replies

Oct 16, 2014 10:09 PM in response to Johnny DEP

I never installed any plug-ins or scripts for iTunes. When other recent versions were started in Safe Mode, I got the same BEX after exiting. However when iTunes 12.0.1 is started in Safe Mode, something new and exiting happens upon closing: an APPCRASH!

Product
iTunes

Problem
Stopped working

Date
10/16/2014 9:57 PM

Status
Report Sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: iTunes.exe
Application Version: 12.0.1.26
Application Timestamp: 543e558b
Fault Module Name: StackHash_1cd5
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18881
Fault Module Timestamp: 51da3e27
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000b06fc
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 1cd5
Additional Information 2: f4a60206fa7575fc7801219875c249a7
Additional Information 3: 2dea
Additional Information 4: 937fb08c32477ccd4059486b89e1c140

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 575081675

Oct 17, 2014 1:09 AM in response to Johnny DEP

Correction: I get an APPCRASH if I exit iTunes in Safe Mode rather quickly, but if I hang around a while I get the same old BEX.

I'm trying to follow the steps in iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8: Fix unexpected quits or launch issues. Created a new guest user account and found that it was not subject to BEX errors upon closing iTunes, as was earlier reported by Earlonics and Biggested on page 7 of the thread referred to in my original post. Therefore user-specific troubleshooting steps would appear to be called for. Tried removing iTunes Preference files as prescribed, but it didn't solve the issue. (However if I try another "clean" reinstall I'll make certain that the Apple folders in each user's AppData folder are deleted.) That brings us to creating a new iTunes Library. My administrator account doesn't really have a library, but is nevertheless subject to BEX errors upon closing iTunes. I created a new library and even added one song (not an AAC file from iTunes Store, heaven forbid), but that did not solve the issue. At the moment I'm much too tired to try any such thing with my standard user account that actually has a library, but I'll tell you this: Downgrading to iTunes 11.1.5 would solve the entire problem because Apple made some kind of change in version 11.2 that ruined this for Vista users!

Oct 18, 2014 10:33 AM in response to Johnny DEP

Very interesting reading this and the nine pages of it's iTunes 11 parent thread. Just chiming in to state that the DEP on exit issue exists on my Vista64 Ult system.

Setting up Home file share server. Installation of the below listed version of iTunes was a clean install including wiping all previous Apple software fingerprints from the file system as well as the registry.

OS: Vista x64 Ultimate w/SP2 and security related updates

iTunes: 12.0.1.26

QuickTime: not installed and no remnants in system

Test Conditions:

(A) visiting Store while logged onto iTunes

(B) logged onto iTunes running in Safe Mode

Confirmed that DEP occurs under Boolean conditions: A + B + A·B.

Have not yet tested new User account method. Does the new User account still work after migrating old user settings to new account?

Oct 18, 2014 11:31 AM in response to tocguy

The idea of using a new user account would be to avoid inheriting any of the configuration files that live in the user profile in case they contribute to the problem. Migrating the user settings would defeat the purpose. If it helps (unlikely) you could blow away the existing Apple related files in the primary user account and then set up your preferences from scratch.

tt2

Oct 18, 2014 10:57 PM in response to tocguy

Welcome tocguy. If I may ask you a question: How much memory does your Vista x64 PC have? I have 3 GB, which is the maximum that 32-bit Vista can recognize, but I seem to recall that 64-bit Vista can utilize much more than that, and wonder if that might be why 64-bit users are scarce in the 11.2 thread.

I have now also done a truly clean reinstall, deleting Apple folders in ProgramData and each user account's AppData folder, and even the iTunes folders in each user's Music folder. Of course I moved my iTunes Media folder to a safe location first, and one iTunes Library backup file suitable for version 11.1.5. I also cleaned the registry. The most I can say is that I sometimes don't get a BEX upon closing iTunes now, but usually I do. I deselected one default setting during installation, "Use iTunes as the default player for audio files." (If an audio file can be opened by Media Player 11, why would I want to open it in a program that gives me a BEX nearly every time I use it? Too bad my AAC files purchased at iTunes Store can't be opened by WMP, but I certainly won't be buying any more of those now.) My advice to other Vista users: Don't waste your time reinstalling, it won't solve the DEP problem.

Ran the Program Compatibility Wizard to run iTunes in XP SP2 compatibility mode, but abandoned that idea after the first BEX.

Thought I was onto something when I tried the registry fix at http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2008/06/17/to-dep-or-not-to-dep.aspx. Johnny DEP thought he was so slick when he saw iTunes listed as an exception in his DEP tab, but there was one minor problem (yes I did reboot):😟

User uploaded file

Oh well, it's probably a bad idea to allow buffer overruns anyway. The fact that this didn't work causes me to think that Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit or Application Compatibility Toolkit would also be a waste of time. Vista users who wish to avoid BEX errors can either downgrade their iTunes (free) or upgrade their Windows (not free).

Oct 22, 2014 5:06 PM in response to Johnny DEP

I'm getting DEP crashes under Windows 7 64 bit with iTunes 12.0.1, even after deleting all Apple folders off my machine, including the ones in the user AppData local and roaming folders and the ProgramData folder. I also renamed my iTunes folder in the My Music folder. Basically I wiped out iTunes and then installed cleanly. I still get DEP crashes and/or crashes in JavaScriptCore.dll when accessing the iTunes Store or downloading items. My machine has 8 GB of RAM, so this isn't a memory issue or a 32-bit vs 64-bit issue.

my machine does have EMET 3.0 installed which enforces DEP and other protections for iTunes, but I had no issues with iTunes 11.4. I had to revert back to that in order to do anything in iTunes. I can only conclude that iTunes 12 is buggy and/or poorly coded.

Oct 22, 2014 6:24 PM in response to Morac

Morac, having replied to my thread even though you are not running Vista, I wonder if you would answer a question: Is it possible to exclude iTunes from DEP using EMET 3.0 without globally disabling DEP, and did you try that while iTunes 12.0.1 was installed? EMET 3 is rather old, I believe EMET 5 was released this summer. It seems possible that EMET settings were the actual cause of your problems. Downgrading to 11.4 certainly won't solve my problem, because the most recent version of iTunes that was DEP-compatible for 32-bit Vista was 11.1.5. With Vista, the BEX errors occur when closing iTunes, not when accessing the iTunes store or downloading.

Oct 22, 2014 7:25 PM in response to fromsouth

Gee fromsouth, two links explaining how to globally disable an important security feature? No thanks! I would strongly advise other Vista users never to consider that course of action! If iTunes doesn't ruin your system, your next malware infection probably will. A much better idea would be to downgrade to a DEP-compatible version of iTunes, which for 32-bit Vista means 11.1.5 or earlier. BTW both of those links state that the way to re-enable DEP is with AlwaysOn, when in fact the default setting is OptIn. The DEP tab will be greyed out if AlwaysOn is applied.

Speaking of OptIn, it is clear to me that iTunes purposefully opts in to DEP, which is a good thing - or at least it would be, if only recent versions of iTunes were DEP-compatible on every version of Windows. The question of exactly how iTunes opts in is rather difficult to answer. If anyone with high computer skills (perhaps a developer) would like to investigate, this link looks like a good starting point: http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2009/06/12/understanding-dep-as-a-mitigat ion-technology-part-1.aspx.

The last time I closed iTunes without getting a DEP notification, I checked Problem Reports and found that I got an APPCRASH instead.

BTW Quicktime was never installed on this PC, and "Core Media is supported."

Oct 23, 2014 6:29 AM in response to Johnny DEP

Lets pretend for a second that you are correct and DEP for operating system designed 10 years ago IS helping you. First since you are so technical and good with logs - please prove it. Show logs where it has better or even the same level of protection that current and daily updated antivirus. Show us log where your DEP stopped virus, malware. Just like UAC, they outlived themselves few months after Vista came out. Proof - malware does not require extra memory, nor separate permission. It crawls on to your system with very low memory usage. Vista DEP is outdated by miles, misreading scripts in completely safe program (itunes) when itunes on closing is trying to access and save database files with changes that you may have made. It is making perfect logical sense to me that certain previous version of iTunes didn't alarm it, but it just means that your computer DEP becomes outdated as we type here more and more.

Gee Johnny, lets talk about evolution - difference between humans and other creatures was and is if stick we picked is to long or to short - we pick longer or break one into two shorter pieces. Right now you are in the crossroads. Do you want to continue using outdated OS with unnecessary DEP that hurts you by creating false positives or follow simple logic to make tool usable. Choice is up to you. Trying to scare other people with Boo (DEP is your life and your computer will break) not so cool. Nothing and I repeat nothing will happen. Try for a week, if you open to it. Keep good antivirus up with updates and that is it. If you don't need help (you came here and that is tech support forum) somebody else may use good advice.

Oct 23, 2014 8:16 AM in response to fromsouth

If you have nothing to offer Vista users except disparaging remarks, then please refrain from posting in this thread. It is not I who maintains that recent versions of iTunes are compatible with Vista, but rather Apple: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/. As recently as 5 months ago, I had no reason to disagree. And yes I have up-to-date antivirus - which has nothing to do with this topic.

Oct 23, 2014 3:04 PM in response to Johnny DEP

User uploaded file
Vista users can stop right there because DEP-compatible versions of iTunes are still available. I recommend iTunes for Windows 11.1.5 32-bit, which can be downloaded from Apple - Support - Downloads or from oldapps.com. (Unfortunately I cannot vouch for the 64-bit version of 11.1.5, in fact there was one comment in the 11.2 thread suggesting that it should be avoided.)

Windows Help and Support goes on to say, "you can turn off DEP for the program that was closed." I was certainly willing to try that, however it cannot be done in the case of iTunes. Besides, on those rare occasions when 12.0.1 doesn't give a BEX error upon closing, it gives an APPCRASH instead. So what the unwelcome poster is suggesting is that you should disable DEP for everything so that 12.0.1 can crash on its own without being stopped by DEP. Again I say NO THANKS! Are there any other suggestions?

iTunes 12 incompatible with Windows Vista Data Execution Prevention

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.