Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Server 3.2.1 Upgrade options after Yosemite

I can't seem to verify this but can anybody please let me know if theres a update for Server after upgrading to Yosemite.

I upgraded to Yosemite and the fact that I was running server did not even show up in the installation process.

After I restarted there was a Stop Sign ontop of the Server App icon.

I checked my Purchases list in the App store It said update but when I clicked it said can't update because of the Newer OS.

I deleted the Server App with the Option to Download again from my Purchased App list only to Discover it's not listed anymore.

I only have the Option to Purchase a New Version 4 from the App store.

But from all my Computer i've only updated 1 to Yosemite all my other computer are still running Mavericks So why did the Server App disappear from my Purchased Apps?

Can anybody please advise...

Is Server App version 4 a Purchase only App with no upgrade or update path from 3.2.1.?

Thanks

Server 3.2.1-OTHER, OS X Server

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 1:53 AM

25 replies

Oct 17, 2014 7:10 AM in response to Diesis Srl

On my Mac Mini I upgraded to Server 3.2.2, then upgraded to Yosemite without realising the 2 weren't compatible.

Now my Macbook Air won't back-up to my MacMini because the server won't open in Yosemite,

Does anyone know how to do the back up's for remote computer, without having to pay the $24.95 to upgrade to Server 4.0 (Apple looks like they have people over a barrel without fully explaining the incompatability)

Oct 21, 2014 6:05 AM in response to Celts88

Blatant rip-off from Apple. Our school installed Macs in every classroom and with the implementation of our Apple Server it seems like we were moving forward. Unfortunately Apple don't seem to have all the answers everyone believes they do. We've had problem after problem after updating the server app time and time again with us often having to set it up all over again. Doesn't do this with Windows at all and I've lost all confidence in Apple and their support. Now they expect us to pay for a whole new version after buying it once already???? They must be kidding. I was so disappointed in Apple to hear that we have to pay for a new version of the Server App.

I'll be phasing out our Apple hardware and will return to Windows, the effort is simply not worth the cost and quite honestly we can do better without them.I have no faith in them and am tired of having to go through the same debacle each time we update the software. The funny thing is the view is shared by all staff at the school too, they have no confidence in having to suffer through the continuous interruptions to their teaching day.

It's a slap in the face, especially with having been sold the notion of how great Apple would be in our school - Apple for Education - what an absolute joke.

Thanks, but never again Apple. The networking aspect within a school environment is a high maintenance one at that. Poor ol Steve will be turning in his grave. I'll be writing of my experiences in the respective teaching forums, hopefully others will steer clear of this troublesome and expensive affair after having seen what we've gone through. Thanks for the info some of you have provided, it helped make things very clear for us.

Oct 21, 2014 7:18 AM in response to SSJSCant

To my knowledge you are not required to purchase a new version of server software unless you choose to upgrade to Yosemite. And if you can't afford $20, you probably should not upgrade your server to Yosemite.

No one is being ripped off and it is wrong of you to say so. Performing an OS upgrade on a server entails knowing the hardware and software requirements ahead of time. This is standard practice in the IT field.

Bryan Dulock

ACN

Houston, TX

Oct 22, 2014 8:53 AM in response to John Hrissinis

I had the same problem and contacted the App Store support concerning the disparition of Server from the purchase liste since I updated to Yosemite.

Service told me that it was a known and generalized problem that their techniciens are trying to solve. They have no fix for the moment but they will get back to me as they have more information.

Here is the original message in French:

"[..] Il s’agit d’un problème connu et général et nos techniciens l’examinent. Pour le moment on attends une solution definitive de leur part. Vous recevrez un courrier électronique dès que nos recherches auront progressé et que des informations supplémentaires seront disponibles. [...]"

I'll keep you posted

Oct 22, 2014 5:48 PM in response to Kraftwerk

Allow me to alleviate your confusion:

Hint: It's not about the price of buying the server again at $20 (which is dirt cheap).

It's about the fact that the Apple update system tells you an upgrade to Yosemite is "free!" and then when you put your trust in them and upgrade, you find that your very important server software is disabled! AND you have to pay to get it working again!

I assume you are not running a system-critical server yourself, or the problem with this would be self-explanatory. When a company tells you to go ahead and upgrade, and gives no warning about what software is incompatible, especially when it is one of the main critical applications a customer would be likely to use (a server!) that is irresponsible at best...and just a ploy to force you to buy software at worst.

Yes, it's always good to "trust no one" and research everything before doing upgrades on a server, and of course some responsibly rests with the admin who is doing the upgrade, but Apple likes to give the impression that only windows users need to watch out for this sort of thing.

Bottom line: A simple notice of what CURRENTLY INSTALLED software will NOT BE COMPATIBLE with the OS upgrade and WILL NEED TO BE PURCHASED AGAIN would be the least Apple could do. A VERY easy thing to accomplish.

Note to those who are wondering:

Before upgrading to Yosemite:

- Update to the latest version of the Server application for your current OS.

- Reboot. (and don't uninstall your current server version)

- Upgrade to Yosemite.

- Buy the Latest OSX Server from apple and install it.

- Run the new OSX Server from the Applications menu.

- It will look at your old server settings and services and upgrade them and convert them to work. (at least that is my experience)

Server 3.2.1 Upgrade options after Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.