Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

os X yosemite keyboard volume not working

Upgraded to OS X Yosemite and as a result, keyboard volume control not functioning.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 1:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 3:47 AM

Try a PRAM reset:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14222?viewlocale=en_US

Ciao.

25 replies

Oct 20, 2014 1:07 PM in response to rharriman

I had the same problem. I am connected to external display via HDMI, the external monitor does NOT have speakers.

For some reason, after upgrade from Mountain Lion to Yosemite - the sound preferences change the output to HDMI instead of the headphone jack or laptop speakers.

The issue was resolved by changing the sound output settings as Thomas has described.

Oct 20, 2014 6:50 PM in response to rharriman

I'm having the same issue. When I use the keyboard to change volume, the volume changes, but the bar icon don't update. I use one external sound board (focusrite saffire pro) and when I try to change the sound source, I have to restart the software. For exemple: If I'm using itunes with internal speaker and I want to use focusrite, I click on focusrite and the sound still on internal, so I have to restart itunes. In this case, until I restart my mbp the volume icon (bar) don't work with focusrtie. In both case, the icon don't update when I use keyboard to change volume.

Sorry for my english and I hope to find some fix to it.

Btw, I have a mbp later 2013 and I installed Yosemite over Mavericks.

Thanks a lot.

***** UPDATE *****

After some research, I found a solution. Use this command on terminal:

sudo killall coreaudiod

It fix my problem, and I think will solve yours.

Oct 22, 2014 1:58 PM in response to rharriman

I have this issue too, unfortunately it returns every day. I'm using external monitors and have two systems installed on my MBP Retina 2013, one system is Mavericks for working, and the other is Yosemite for private usage. Every time I boot in Yosemite, headphones do not react to the volume switches. Neither those on the keyboard nor those on the Apple Earphones itself. I can well hear sound and also the (new) beep tone each time I press a volume button, but the volume does not change.

I tried to change the audio device, without success. Removing Earphones or re-plug them does also not help. The only way I currently can control volume of headphones is using the volume slider in system sound preferences. :-/

Nov 7, 2014 12:08 PM in response to rharriman

MBP 15'' Purchased Nov 1 (updated to OS 10.10) and at random volume control stops working from keyboard and menu control. I get the volume icon with circle and line through it. I have used the terminal re-set and "Restart" to correct issue, but my question is what is Apple doing to correct this bug 100%. I didn't just purchase a 2K computer new out of the box to have volume issues at random.

os X yosemite keyboard volume not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.