Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook pro is stuck on "setting up your Mac" part it's been over an hour now.

RIght after i download and installed Yosemite my MacBook pro seems to be stuck on the part where it says "setting up your Mac". I need help

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2014 7:52 AM

This happened to me yesterday. I have a MacBook Air and after downloading and installing Yosemite, it was stuck on "Setting up your Mac" all day.

I eventually got in touch with Apple Support and resolved my issue in about ONE MINUTE. Here's how:

1. Power down the computer.

2. Plug the computer into a power source.

3. Press and hold the following three keys simultaneously: Shift + Control + Option.

4. While still holding Shift + Control + Option, press and release the power button.

5. Release Shift + Control + Option.

6. Power on the computer.

My computer booted to Yosemite and I've not had a problem since.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2014 7:52 AM in response to Tkowolabi

This happened to me yesterday. I have a MacBook Air and after downloading and installing Yosemite, it was stuck on "Setting up your Mac" all day.

I eventually got in touch with Apple Support and resolved my issue in about ONE MINUTE. Here's how:

1. Power down the computer.

2. Plug the computer into a power source.

3. Press and hold the following three keys simultaneously: Shift + Control + Option.

4. While still holding Shift + Control + Option, press and release the power button.

5. Release Shift + Control + Option.

6. Power on the computer.

My computer booted to Yosemite and I've not had a problem since.

Oct 19, 2014 11:56 AM in response to Tkowolabi

Hello there,

I had the same problem with my Mac Mini, the install would do just fine but then at the setting up your mac screen it stalled for hours. (Literally, I gave it overnight to finish up). It did that twice, (I even installed from a flash drive and formatted my hard drive)

So just to test something, I reinstalled OSX Yosemite and skipped all the sign into my apple account stuff. Instantly my mac was ready.

So for me the fix action was to skip all the sign into my apple account. Maybe that will help you all.

Thanks

Jul 15, 2015 1:21 PM in response to glatzsa

Thank you so much for this. I had the same problem on an iMac 24. I recently a hard drive crash on my iMac 27 with significant data loss (thank the Lord for Time Machine backups). I have to admit, I was nervous following the advice of a user thread vs. just calling Apple, but I decided to live on the edge and go for it. Totally worked for me too! THANK YOU!! 🙂

My MacBook pro is stuck on "setting up your Mac" part it's been over an hour now.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.