Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Yosemite does not import contacts from iCloud.

Hi,
My MacBook Air with OS X Yosemite does not import contacts from iCloud. But if I add contacts to the MBA, it is exported to iCloud.
On the iPhone and iPad with iOS 8 contacts work properly in both directions.
Any idea what to do to make it work properly?

Of course on Mavericks function correctly.

MacBook Air, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 7:03 AM

Hi,
Maybe someone has an idea how to solve this problem?

27 replies

Oct 20, 2014 8:16 AM in response to Community User

Yes, I also have the same (or similar) problem. Updated to Yosemite over the weekend on a MacBook Pro and while the rest of the iCloud sync works fine (notes, calendar, etc.) I cannot get Contacts at all. Contacts shows no accounts (no matter how often I try to add my iCloud account) and no contacts.

As suggested on Apple help pages, I've tried un-linking Contacts in iCloud control panel, restarting the computer, and then re-linking. I've tried signing out of iCloud on the computer and then signing back in. Nothing helps. All other iCloud services work fine, and the Contacts work fine on my other non-Yosemite computers and devices.

Help would be lovely!

Oct 21, 2014 2:57 PM in response to Community User

I seem to have the same issue (errors when saving contacts locally and syncing them between MacBook and iCloud).

Would be interested to know if changes you make to contacts on your macbook (rather then adding new contacts) are updated in iCloud. This does not work for me (see my post in the above thread). Also, any changes are lost once I close the Contacts app. Is that the same for you?

Best,

Tim

Oct 25, 2014 10:14 AM in response to makkaya

After an online chat with the Apple support team, I did a clean install of Yosemite (rather than the simple upgrade I'd done before), which involved wiping the hard drive and starting from scratch. Contacts works fine now.

So, that's a radical solution, and requires a full backup of all your data before you wipe the hard drive. But for me at least it worked.

Nov 4, 2014 8:03 PM in response to kinggama

Hi,

Here is a copy paste of my Note :

If you need a translation I will do it later today !

Good luck !

Bonjour,

J'ai donc commencé par exporter sur mon Mac, en vCard, tous mes contacts depuis l'appli "Contacts", ensuite je suis allé dans Utilisateurs/Bibliothèque/Application Support/AddressBook et j'ai supprimé tout ce qu'il y avait dedans !

J'ai alors re-démarré "Contacts", j'ai initialisé le compte iCloud que je souhaitais revoir dans mes contacts et ces contacts qui étaient sur le Cloud sont revenus dans "Contacts" et également dans le dossier que j'avais vidé précédemment !

Mais ne pas oublier d'exporter sur ton Mac tous tes contacts avant de vider le dossier "AddressBook" pour être certain de ne pas les perdre !

Voilà et j'ai donc retrouvé mes 3450 fiches de contact et Groupes modifiables depuis "Contacts"

Bonne journée.

Nov 11, 2014 12:13 AM in response to RALPH48CH70

This worked for me - Thank you

TRANSLATION BY GOOGLE TRANSLATE

So I started by exporting to my Mac in vCard, all my contacts from the app "Contacts", (sic Quit Contacts) then I went in Users / Library / Application Support / AddressBook and I deleted everything he had it!

ADDED: I switched off Contacts in my iCloud account in Preferences then Restarted "Contacts" again
I then re-started "Contacts", I booted the iCloud account I wanted to see in my contacts and contacts that were on cloud returned in "Contacts" and also in the file that I had previously drained !
But do not forget to export your contacts from your Mac before emptying the folder "AddressBook" to be sure you do not lose them!
That and so I found my 3450 contact cards and modifiable Groups from "Contacts"
Have a nice day.

NOTE 1: I have four iDevices and on one of them running iOS7 as it is an iphone4, I had to switch off my iCloud Contacts, select Delete from iPhone, cold reboot my iPhone, then switch my iCloud Contacts back on again.All things worked. I then did a test run by changing an address on my Yosemite iMac, all four iDevices updated within a couple of minutes

NOTE 2: I had similar sync'ing problems with Yosemite iCal, here is what I did to fix this issue:

1 - Fire up iCal, File > Export > Calendar Archive

2 - Quit iCal, GoTo: /Library/Calendars - Trashed all Calendar Cache files

3 - Fired up iCal and Imported last Calendar Archive - All Cache fires were recreated automatically and interesting the main Cashed file was 1.5 Mb smaller.

All was good again

OS X Yosemite does not import contacts from iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.