Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite Battery Drain

I have been using Yosemite Beta for about a month. My battery drained incredibly fast using the Beta. I suspected battery issues would improve after updating to the public release of Yosemite yesterday. The issue has not resolved, however. Just in the last minute and a half of typing this question, my battery percentage has dropped 3%!

When you update, you get the notification that you need to optimize your mac to prevent excessive battery drain, but there is no description of how to optimize within Yosemite or on the web. How does one optimize their mac for Yosemite?

Apple, get on this!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 6:06 AM

The installer should handle the optimization itself…mine has optimized through that past series of installs. So far I have not seen battery drain issues with Yosemite, even better use than with Mavericks.

586 replies

Oct 19, 2014 4:28 AM in response to wesfromOK

You need to see what application(s) are draining the battery and also check the battery condition.

First hold the option button and click on the Battery icon on the menu bar.

From the drop down list,

• What condition is the battery reporting?
  • Are any apps showing up as using significant battery usage?

Also in Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor - CPU.

What is anything is using high CPU usage, that you would not expect to be doing at the time?

You can sort the CPU% column for highest usage at the top to make this window easier to read.

Any apps that are reporting high battery usage or CPU usage, are you running the latest versions of those apps?

Oct 19, 2014 6:03 AM in response to thaw_tar

thaw_tar wrote:

Same here. My Mid 2013 MBA decreased battery life from 11+ hours to 5 hours 😟

Also, it gets hot easily.

All signs that you have incompatible 3rd party software running, running badly. Probably antivirus/cleaning/optimizing or some other fanciful junk. 3rd part peripheral drivers (audio.external input devices etc) are also suspect.

Have you looked to see what is running, and whether it's compatible with 10.10

Yosemite Battery Drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.