Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X could not be installed on your computer

'An error occurred while extracting files from the package 'Essentials.pkg'.

Quit the Installer to restart your computer and try again.

... well that's what I've been doing now for at least the last 6 hours without success.

I've even created a bootable USB stick to load Yosemite (with a new installer stub), but still get the same error.

The installer log throws back quite a few errors during the install process, I have no idea why. My MBP is a Retina 2012 model

so hardware should all be up to scratch.

I can't even restart the machine (revert) as the computer now goes into a loop and will no longer start into Mavericks.

The long and short of it is, I can no longer get into my MBP. My personal HD files are all still there, but I can't get Yosemite installed for

some reason. Help please somebody!

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 9:08 AM

is no-one else experiencing this issue?

short of reformatting the drive and doing a clean install, surely this shouldnt be necessary???

thanks Yosemite. Next time I'll go to Yellowstone.

46 replies

Oct 20, 2014 6:30 AM in response to seduc

This doesn't work for me.

😟

although the installation process looks like it's slightly different by these means vis a vis the USB installer startup disk i created. With the USB key it gets to about 15 minutes before reporting probelms with the pkg. file, now it gets to random install time left.

via Cmd + R recovery. the first time the installer got to about 4 mins remaining and bombed out saying 'an error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running the installer again. When I rebooted I had to log into my Wireless network again as it had forgotten the password, which somehow it had never asked for during the last several attempts.

User uploaded file

During this latest install attempt, the counter showing the remaining time at one point grew to 34 hours, has now shrunk down again to 33 mins and has been stuck on that for at least an hour and a half. Think its timed out somewhere behind the scenes.

Interestingly, the installer log is full of errors. They don't mean much to me, but it isn't happy.

The Install Asst. reports error 395: Failed to verify InstallESD.dmg: hdutil verify failed

then: Retrying Pisa://7fbbe4f7cc90:::/InstallESD.dmg after 1 failure.... 2 failures etc etc/

Im slowly loosing my mind here.Ive never had any uissues like this for as long as I've been a Mac user.

My very first mac was a Mac SE...

and as luck would have it, I didn't have a current backup thinking all would be well (as it has always been during updates/upgrades).

I've been able to copy my HD using the DiskUtil onto another external drive and all my files are accessible that way, so I haven't lost anything,

but this is really really really really annoying. Did I mention this was annoying?

User uploaded file

Oct 20, 2014 6:38 AM in response to seduc

I wonder if encryption on my HD is interfering in any way, as I have the encyrption turned on. Would be interesting to hear from other who have this same issue as to their encryption status.

As said, Ive tried installing Yosemite from the App Store initially, that failed.

Several attempts later I downloaded the Yosemite installer stub and made a USB startup disk with installer. That failed.

Now ive done the Recovery route and it is still failing....

all this headache for what seems to be nothing much more than a GUI update that looks like its a kindergarten project.

But if you don\t update, you get left behind, so there is hardly much choice... :-/

I'm scared now of updating the computer i'm writing this on (Imac desktop), in case it fairs the same destiny. Not to mention my GF's MBP and my dads MBP....even the thought instills horror 😉

As a Windows user said to me recently, Apple are not having a good time with their system software updates. within 1 week of iOS8 being released, there was already a faulty 8.0.1 update which got canned quickly. Now we have issues with Yosemite.

Bring back Jobs, that's what I say.

Oct 20, 2014 7:37 AM in response to nostrawaggus

I have been trying to install it since Thursday. without success. Tried clean install, nothing. Then update from Mountain Lion, then Mavericks, nothing. Researched the SSD I have, and did a firmware update. Something changed in the installation, but I am still can't upgrade. Last nite tried again, and after the installation failed, and tried to repair the disk, and still nothing. I never had this before. I have upgraded every year, always doing a clean install without any issues. Definitely the quality is down. How can we get Apple's attention on this issue? Tech support should be able to figure it out? Not sure what else to do.

Oct 20, 2014 3:21 PM in response to mlucashouston

interesting, you say you've done a clean install and this didn't do anything? this was going to be my next attempt once I'd come to terms with not having a current time machine backup.

But you're saying this didn't work either???... wow!

I too am on a SSD, but it's the original Apple part in my MacBook Retina.

I have downloaded and copied the Mavericks Installer onto a bootable USB stick so I'm going to try and downgrade back to Mavericks now, but from what you say this may also be a waste of time...

If it does work, and I somehow get my 'puter back up and running, I'll be doing a time machine backup then trying the upgrade process again (i love the pain) 😉

Oct 20, 2014 5:15 PM in response to nostrawaggus

I heard that some clean installs with original hardware should work. Just make sure you have backup. I have 2 backups, Time Machine and the original Hard Drive that use only for files. I actually downloaded an application called Memtest, to test the memory, and it found some errors on the memory modules I have. I just put the original memory modules back, and the test is running fine for now. I will try to run Yosemite after the test is completed. I am having a feeling that it will work now. Will post soon.

OS X could not be installed on your computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.