Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Drive problems on Yosemite?

Google Drive does not work on my 2012 MacBook Air after installing Yosemite but it works on my 2010 Mac Mini. Anyone else with that problem?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 2012 MAcBook Air

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 5:33 PM

Very similar problem here. Google Drive works on my 2009 MacBook Pro, but not on my mid-2011 iMac. On the iMac the menubar icon is grayed out and says "Not signed in" - but it doesn't give me any way *to* sign in.

34 replies

Oct 17, 2014 11:01 PM in response to wiessmuller

Installed Yosemite on a 2012 Mac Mini. When I try to access Google Docs -- the syetm reports "Browser Error" on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. The doc is greyed out and refreshing does not work. The only option is logging out. Installed Google Docs on my drive -- still has the same problem. I suppose I will have to borrow another device until this is fixed.

Oct 18, 2014 1:53 PM in response to wiessmuller

Same issue here on my mid-2010 MBP. Spent almost an hour on the phone with Google yesterday. They're aware of the problem, and have a fix, which is basically to uninstall all Google Drive components, and re-install, thereby forcing a sign-in. Unfortunately, the fix didn't work -- I'm back to the original grayed-out icon and not-logged-in message. Strangely however, my Google Drive folder, which I'd deleted during the troubleshooting process, re-appeared after the install, so I can only assume that the sync is functional, but the GUI is not working correctly. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the case - I just uploaded a file to my Google Drive via the browser interface and it almost immediately showed up in my drive folder locally. So, I'd say that the issue is cosmetic, though obviously needs a fix.

Oct 18, 2014 4:05 PM in response to wiessmuller

I have a very similar problem with Google Drive on my Mid-2011 Mac Mini. Google Drive is grayed out in my menu bar and it does not respond at all when I click on it. It also did not seem to be syncing with the server. However, I may have found a partial solution to this. I simply redownloaded the most recent version of Google Drive from their servers and used it to replace the app that was already on my HD. The message that I got when I dragged it to the Applications folder indicated that it was the same version as the one that was already there. However, upon running this replaced app, my Google Drive folder updated automatically, the way it should. However, the Google Drive icon on my menu bar is still grayed out and is still unresponsive.

BTW, because the Menu Bar icon is unresponsive, it was necessary to quit Google Drive by going there Activity Monitor. (That is found in the Utilities folder which in turn is in the Applications folder. I include that just in case someone comes along who may not know where to find that app.)

Oct 18, 2014 6:29 PM in response to wiessmuller

The icon is grayed on my late 2013 iMac, but everything still updates as before. When I add a file it appears in my Google Drive folder on my iMac and on my iPhone and it appears in the online Drive. The only thing is the icon is grayed and you can't do anything from the icon. When I click on Google Drive in the applications folder, it just brings me to my Google Drive folder on my hard drive. Weird stuff, but so far, in my case, everything is working except the icon in the Menu Bar.

Oct 18, 2014 7:02 PM in response to wiessmuller

Am happy to report that I now can access and edit my Google docs using the Yosemite operating system (and the old routine of using the menu on Gmail). The problem (for me) seems to be fixed. Many thanks to whoever (at Apple or Google or both) who did the work. Bear with me while I repeat that I have a very straightforward Apple system (late 2012 Mac Mini, Mavericks ==> Yosemite, and a Brother printer) and always update my software promptly (thinking that it helps with the issues created for the community by militarized hackers and other black hats). The only "exotic" system component is an external CD/DVD drive which seems to be working well. Hope everyone else is seeing good results too and I benefitted greatly from reading all of your comments.

Google Drive problems on Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.