Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow shutdown on Yosemite

On a three year old MacBook pro shutdown times after installing Yosemite have gone to more than 3 minutes. First the screen goes black and then the spinning segmented wheel continues for about 3 minutes. No outside programs/util installed except the required Java.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 10:31 AM

64 replies

Oct 17, 2014 11:58 AM in response to dbail22

I have the same problem with my late 2012 model 27" iMac with a fusion drive. After installing Yosemite beta 2, my shutdown and/or restart time increased from approximately 10 seconds to more than 2 1/2 minutes. The problem still exists, even after installing the released version of Yosemite. I have sent feedback concerning this problem on three separate occasions.

Oct 17, 2014 12:54 PM in response to brucez22

After an hour online with Apple Support, and several restarts, and throwing away anything in the two cache folders, resetting the parameter ram, etc. etc. It came down to three files in the Launch Agents and Launch Daemons folder. I had removed an old installation of Parallels from this laptop but left these files in place. After a few restarts and letting the Mac reestablish the cache files the shutdown is now about 2 seconds. I guess software mfgs will have to start including unistall utilities with their programs....

David 🙂

Oct 19, 2014 5:46 AM in response to dbail22

Thanks a lot man - situation was similar on my 2011 iMac. Not quite as bad as 2 1/2 minutes, more like 1 minute or so, but surely annoying. Whereas the MBP 13" shut down within a finger-snap after the Yosemite installation and significantly faster than with Mavericks.

Apart from Parallels leftovers there was also other residue from uninstalled programs in the Launch Agents and Launch Daemons folders. Deleted all that and also some Parallels junk in the Preferences folder. Additionally trashed my Cache folders and repaired volume permissions.

Now the iMac shuts down within a few seconds too. Once more, thanks a lot. I hope someone at Apple has already moved this solution into the Yosemite troubleshooting knowledge-base.

Note: it's not always Apple who are to blame if something goes wrong with their computers. Unfortunately there are a few too many sloppy software developers out there and it really seems as if the days of living without the need for uninstall utilities are also over in Apple-land...

Oct 19, 2014 9:00 AM in response to dbail22

Thanks a lot David and others who joined this topic , I resolved the same problem ( Shutdown was 2 minutes 45 seconds) .

Thanks to you I remembered that I had in 2010 installed "Parallels Desktop" + Bootcamp , and uninstalled it after few weeks (a nightmare).

I found all "Parallels" junk software remains pieces in :

MacintoshHD / Library / LaunchAgents

MacintoshHD / Library / LaunchDaemons

MacintoshHD / Library / Preferences

Thanks again.

Jean-Louis.

Oct 19, 2014 4:58 PM in response to brucez22

Dittos for me too. I had a previous install of Parallels. Same problem on my Macbook Pro 17" late-2011. Several minutes to shutdown or reboot after installing OS X Yosemite. Moved the /Library/LaunchDaemons/*parallels* files out (also the /Library/LaunchAgents/*parallels* files) and rebooted (this reboot will still take minutes). Now shutdowns and reboots take a few seconds.

Thanks.

Oct 20, 2014 7:29 AM in response to PapyApple

I have MBP 2010 that I upgraded the Yosemite recently and noticed a long shutdown. I was following another thread about deleting contents of caches, launchdeamons, and launchagents prior to finding this thread now my start up is longer than usual and the shutdown still takes forever. I also was able to delete parallel components in those folders. Now I need to fix this new problem. I am already thinking of doing a clean install. Hope someone can help.

Slow shutdown on Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.