Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Trackpad non responsive on Yosemite

After upgrade to Yosemite the Magic Trackpad don't have the same response as ever had. Is it a driver issue that must be fixed?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 11:30 AM

44 replies

Oct 18, 2014 1:29 PM in response to jupiterbrazil

I have a similar problem with my Magic Mouse after upgrading to Yosemite. My scrolling commands are fine; however, the secondary click (right-click) does not work, even though the option is turned on in the System Preferences. I have tried the secondary click on both Safari and Firefox, as well as working in the Finder. It reminds me of the Old Days when Apple only had a single button on its mouse.

Oct 18, 2014 8:49 PM in response to Joe Cernich

This resolved the issue for me (so far):

1. Turn off the mouse.

2. Restart the computer.

3. After reboot (and logon, if necessary), Mac OS will give a prompt that the Bluetooth wireless mouse isn't connected. Click OK.

4. Turn on the mouse.

Things should work from there. So far, after five minutes and testing it on the Finder and Firefox, no issues.

For those with the trackpad issue, I would suspect that you should turn off or unplug the trackpad, restart the computer, and don't connect (or turn on) the trackpad until the OS indicates that it's missing.

Oct 19, 2014 1:48 AM in response to jupiterbrazil

I don't have the a less-responsive Magic Trackpad, I have a hyper-responsive one. It makes selections all over the page, I select a window to drag it and it's stuck to the pointer, or I do something else and the a file sticks to it -- all completely out of control. My right click doesn't bring up a menu, just trying to scroll does it. I've had occasional episodes with it before, but this is really nuts.

Nov 3, 2014 12:01 AM in response to LenInSebastopol

I don't think there's anything much to break on a trackpad. I tried the above solution once, and it didn't get rid of the problem. I tried it again, with one thing inserted: I turned off the trackpad first, before I erased it from the Bluetooth device list. Then I turned it on, and it appeared in the list. Then I paired it, and everything was fine. The pair link has gotten corrpupted. There may be a software update that will take care of it, or it may be it's just that Yosemite needs a new pairing.

Nov 3, 2014 5:36 AM in response to James Hassinger

I have tried every sequencing permutation order with negative results. At best I get those translucent shadows on my desktop, even after several reboots relative to order. Tempted to buy another, try at home and if it continues at least I can get my money back on the same day. And if so, then it has to be Yosemite, and/or the dated manufacture of the pad itself, no?

Nov 3, 2014 12:53 PM in response to LenInSebastopol

@LenInSebastopol Re: post above --> Well if you can buy a new trackpad, try it to see if it works, AND get your money back if you return it the same day (if I understood you correctly), sure, why not do that.

That will resolve the question in your mind if the problem is the trackpad or Yosemite.

AFTER YOU TRY THAT, though, I wouldn't be surprised if you discover the problem is Yosemite.

Why?

1. I've had my magic trackpad several years. As another post just indicated, there is not much to break on them.

&

2. Like others I've developed this BIG COMPUTER PROBLEM THEORY. The theory believes that if you are suddenly having a problem IT'S THE LAST THING YOU DID OR CHANGED that is most probably the cause and thus should be checked out.

In this case, you didn't do anything to your trackpad; in this case you changed the OS.

But I also wouldn't discourage you from pursuing your first idea (get a new trackpad) in this case, since it is a solution you thought of trying and it cost nothing; go ahead. Let us know how it turns out.

&, P.S. -- if it IS a software OS problem, I'd expect Apple to eventually realize that and provide a fix. Few things are perfect on first launch, esp. a new OS.

Magic Trackpad non responsive on Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.