Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Plus M7 Chip Step Data Accuracy OFF compared to FITBIT One

Using an iPhone 6 plus and trying to use the step application. I had been using a Fitbit One and so on a lark decided to compare the two. When I carry both devices I consistently notice that the iPhone counts LESS steps than the Fitbit.

In fact over a 10,000 step day the difference is very significant and averages about 2,000 to 2,500 steps.

Accuracy during a walk is within 1-5% less, but over a day of walking in the house it seems much lower. It's as if the iphone is not registering during many activities or as if there is a lag between it starting to measure and when it is at rest.

Since the phone is new I am wondering if

1. there is a problem with the phone

2. there is something in a setting somewhere that needs to be adjusted

3. the Fitbit has been over counting (not likely the devices are pretty good and I've had 3 of them)

Any ideas suggestions observations?

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has switched between using the FitBit to use the M7 chip and using a FitBit device to see if the problem could be software related (i.e. the software on the Fitbit recognizes and counts the step activity data better than the native programs on the iPhone, if this is true you should see a different count for the Fitbit app using the iPhone than you would with other apps such as Withings, Runtastic etc).

Thanks

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 10:37 AM

40 replies

Oct 31, 2014 11:19 AM in response to hansolo415

Yes, I'm seeing the same issue. Two separate iPhones, M7 & M8, iOS 7 & 8, for about a year now … iPhone counts typically only 10-25% of my Fitbit steps. I've verified the accuracy of my Fitbit many times over the year … but now that Fitbit is refusing to work with HealthKit I'd like to find a resolution.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Karell

Oct 31, 2014 12:17 PM in response to Karell

Karrell,

Thanks I was beginning to think it was just me. The step tracking in the apple health app is somewhat awkward in that the display doesn't always change real time, seems to crash a lot (perhaps that's why it under estimates) when other apps are communicating with it (like when I'm testing multiple running apps), doesn't have a good historical list display (ie doesn't have one at all and looking at the graph is pointless), and can be confusing when there are multiple sources of data (the algorithm for choosing and resolving data conflicts for the same time period is pretty much a black box). If you check to get source data from multiple apps the Apple Health app seems to add all of them together giving you a massive amount of steps that is then later resolved in some unknown way.

I am curious to know what your tests are on accuracy of the fitbit for steps. I've found it to be so accurate when I walk or run around a track that its better than me trying to count the steps (because it's so easy to mess up). Inside the house going up and down steps and walking around the office I'm not as sure. However, outside in the open with a run I think the apple health M7 M8 chips are reasonably close. My impression is that the problem is primarily when you are in the house, shopping, or at the office (ie not regular same movements) that it is off. Sadly I think for most of us 30-50% of our steps are this way.

As far as I know FitBit refused to link up with Apple's Health Application, so the only way I know of to get some of the data across is to find an application that communicates with FitBit and which also communicates with Apple Health's application. I don't have any ready answers to that, but I know FitBit communicates with Withings and MyFitnessPal. Withings does communicate with Apple Health, but I don't think the step data crosses (oh well). If you had a good way of transferring data I'm all ears. BTW Fitbit has a VERY GOOD return policy and if your device is NOT working they will replace it without much fanfare.

Oct 31, 2014 1:17 PM in response to hansolo415

Hi hansolo415,

My Fitbit is working fine (and way out of the warranty/returns period anyway), but I want all my data in the new Health app. Right now I'm using an app called Wristband Manager that reads steps from Fitbit and syncs to Health … it's $1.99 in the App Store (I'm not affiliated with the developer, just grateful for them).

I've been wearing a Fitbit for nearly five years, and I've always found it extremely accurate. The loop around my block is .5 miles, ~2200 steps if I recall (I switched to indoor treadmill walking a couple of years ago). I've also tested by mentally counting steps for short periods to compare. Also, the path through my kitchen -> dining room -> living room is ~25 steps, so I've also counted laps. Every different way I've checked, Fitbit's step counts are at least 95% accurate & consistent.

The problem isn't in HealthKit or the new app … last year I got an iPhone 5s and downloaded a few free apps that pulled step counts from the M7. They would all show the exact same step count as each other, consistently only a fraction of Fitbit's count. I thought my M7 was defective, but I didn't care because I was still using Fitbit.

I don't normally upgrade every year, but I splurged on an iPhone 6 & was really disappointed to see the same ridiculously low step count. I see Wristband Manager as a temporary workaround; since Fitbit is being so stubborn about HealthKit I want to stop using it entirely. There shouldn't be a need to buy a new tracker, there's one in my phone, right?

Agreed, the Health app isn't perfect, but I have faith that it will improve as it matures. The multiple-sources thing is inconvenient … every morning I sync from WM, then delete all the steps recorded from the M8. If I could just solve the motion chip issue I wouldn't have to do that. I track my food in MyFitnessPal; it pulls steps from Health and sends nutrition data to it. I use Withings to record weight; it feeds data to MFP and Health. RunKeeper says it will read steps from Fitbit & write to Withings/MFP, but I haven't had any luck with it.

I hope this answers your questions … feel free to ask … I'm a bit of a data geek & former programmer, so I'm having fun finding different ways of trying to pinpoint exactly where the problem is. If you think of an approach I haven't tried, please let me know!

Hope this helps,

Karell

Oct 31, 2014 4:45 PM in response to hansolo415

hansolo415 wrote:

Using an iPhone 6 plus and trying to use the step application. I had been using a Fitbit One and so on a lark decided to compare the two. When I carry both devices I consistently notice that the iPhone counts LESS steps than the Fitbit.

Over the course of testing a number of devices (it's a work thing) including an Nike Fuel band, two different version of the UP band, a Fitbit Flex, a Fitbit Force, a Garmin Vivofit and an interesting Kickstarter project called Amiigo, I've had occasion to wear up to three bands at a time for long enough to compare them. What I have observed (spreadsheets were involved) is that they never all record the same number. Nor do they record the same number as my iPhone 5S. Being off by 2000 steps was not unusual. However, the other thing I've noticed is that how much they're off by is fairly consistent. So, my conclusion from this is that the technology isn't completely accurate. If your goal is fitness, the actual number isn't what's important anyway. What matters is that you try to be more active. Any of the devices can help you do that.

By the way, the Fitbits didn't agree with each other, either.

Oct 31, 2014 5:11 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Yes and no.

Fitbit has always been consistent for me … I've never worn more than one at a time, but I've had at least three different Fitbit trackers since 2010 and there was no noticeable difference. The motion chip hasn't been consistent for me at all, which is absolutely essential even if you're just trying to be more active. Also, I've found the Calories Burned calculated by Fitbit to be accurate, based on correlation with changes in my weight (I was also tracking food in the app).

I'm confident that Apple can do better. Even using your logic & tossing out accuracy, consistency is essential.

Thanks for your input.

Oct 31, 2014 5:22 PM in response to Karell

Karell wrote:

Even using your logic & tossing out accuracy, consistency is essential.

I agree. That's why I mentioned it in my post. I've found that all of the devices have been consistent with themselves (with the possible exception of the original UP band. It had, well, issues. Jawbone gave everyone their money back plus a free one of the next version.) Generally, I prefer trackers I wear as I do have a tendency to leave my phone on my desk (nightstand, end table, etc), get up walk out of the room, realize I left it, walk back into the room, grab the phone and then go on about my business. I also don't tend to pick it up and take it with me to the bathroom in the middle of the nigh. Even though I generally use a belt clip, it just doesn't stay "attached" in quite the same way.

Oct 31, 2014 5:37 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Considering the cost of Apple products, I expect them to be at least as accurate & consistent as Fitbit. They are not. And yes, my iPhone is *always* with me, even for midnight bathroom trips … however if I forgot it, that still wouldn't account for a ~6000 (+/- 30%) discrepancy.

Do you actually have any input on how to resolve this? If you're only posting to brush aside the concerns listed in this thread, I'm at a loss to see how that is helpful.

Oct 31, 2014 5:43 PM in response to Karell

Karell wrote:

Do you actually have any input on how to resolve this? If you're only posting to brush aside the concerns listed in this thread, I'm at a loss to see how that is helpful.

That's ok, my original reply wasn't directed to you so, if you don't find it helpful, that might be why. I was addressing the OP's questions, specifically the ones about whether different devices/apps had different counts. And, sometimes, potential solutions to problems come out of this thing we call a "discussion" where people exchange ideas and experiences. 😉

Best of luck.

Oct 31, 2014 6:18 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg, Karell,

Thank you for your thoughts and observations. I have a medical background. I am not a programmer, but maybe I'm a closet data geek. I agree with Meg's point that the goal is to workout more. However, I also agree with Karell that if the devices are not at least precise (meaning they give the same or approximately the same number when you do the same activity) then you are kind of screwed. Being different is okay so long as it's consistent and so long as one understands how it's different. From a psychological perspective having the number be different on the high side gives a better emotional boost and encouragement, however, in the end being able to effectively use the data with calories in and out to figure out how to adjust your activity and diet to achieve your goals is what I think I most want to get out of this.

I like the idea of the wrist manager program, does it actually require that you have some sort of wrist device or is that just the name?

Being that I am in the medical field I did test two different fitbits, one jawbone and the Nike Fuel. I really didn't like the jawbone interface, but I did like that it could charge with a regular USB cable. The Nike Fuel was very disappointing to me and since the two fit bits weren't used at the same time I can't confirm whether the numbers were the same, but that subsequent products appeared to get similar results for similar activities and so gave the impression that they were equally accurate. I suspect there is always some slight variation between products. I had the impression the jawbone was not as accurate and I won't even comment on the Nike Fuel (yes it was that bad)

Oddly enough the same apps getting the same information from the M8 chip are not always generating exactly the same number, but pretty darn close (off by less than 1%). I was going to guess originally that the M7 and M8 chips send the raw data to an app that can then use an algorithm to adjust and refine the actual steps. I now think that it actually just uses its own algorithm and reports the outcome to the other programs (any thoughts on this?). I'm going to bet that the quality of the motion chips between M7 and M8 is similar with the M8 being somewhat better, but that the real issue is the quality of the algorithm used to establish and validate steps. Also there is the possibility that memory is shared across apps and that it goes out from time to time if something else is active (just a guess be nice to test, I surmised this from getting the health app to crash while it was reading and sending data to 3 other apps). I wear my iphone 6 plus on a holster at the hip and my fitbit is usually in my pocket or it's on my headset clipped to the front of my shirt. Today I observed that on the Elliptical (yes I know they aren't supposed to work well there) that I actually got a higher reading on the iPhone 6 plus for the very first time. This, however, might not be useful as I observed that despite the Fitbit undercounting on the Elliptical the actual calorie estimate was darn close to what I get using a heart monitor with an app called Wahoo Fitness. Which way of calorie counting is the most accurate? Who knows, but I suspect that your heart rate is a pretty darn good measure.

There's another interesting thing I noticed on the Health App and that is that it is possible to add entries so in theory I could adjust the numbers on that. I haven't wanted to do that until they improve the data input so that it's more useful and fun to work with. I've kept historical data back for about 6 months and perhaps years for other apps. I'm not sure I'm actually finding it that useful to keep. The only data that is fun for me to keep is the weight data which has nothing to do with Fitbit, but Withings collects it automatically every morning I step on the darn thing.

My best guess as to why the iPhone under counts is that the software parameters being used are not as well fine tuned and established as those in the fit bit and that it has little to do with the chip itself. Fitbit has a higher vested interest in what they are doing and spent more serious dollars and time on this. That is my guess. Since the iPhone has GPS and tracks motion in several directions there really is no reason why it couldn't be a lot more accurate. If they open up the data and allow other programs to tinker with algorithms you might actually get data a lot closer to FitBit. In fact, Fitbit's app could then actually use the original source data in their algorithm's to accurately calculate the steps. They don't have a lot of incentive to do this as it makes using their product unnecessary. Even so I do like that they now allow you to accept entry of data into FitBit from the iPhone although as we all now know that data is undercounted.

One last thing I did notice that instead of deleting data I think you can just de-select a source that you don't want to use in the tabulation on the Health App. Not sure that works but I had the impression that this eliminated some of the double counting that I perceived. Be interested in your thoughts.

Oct 31, 2014 6:36 PM in response to hansolo415

hansolo415 wrote:

I am not a programmer, but maybe I'm a closet data geek.

Me, too!

FitBit has decided not to sync with Health. Wristband Manager is an app that reads the information from the FitBit app and syncs it to Health.

I personally love the UP app. I use the UP24, the most recent version. It does require a special cable to charge. That was the nice thing about the FuelBand - plug into any USB port.

I'm currently liking the Garmin Vivofit. The app is not (to my mind) as polished as the UP app but it sets goals based on previous accomplishments. And, unlike FitBit, it syncs with Health. It can pair with ANT+ heart rate straps.

Calorie counting on any app is only a rough guesstimate based on a few measurements, usually your weigh, height and age. Some throw in heart rate if they allow you to track that. They generally don't take into account things like ratio of muscle to fat, fitness level and other things that can effect calorie expenditure.

As I mentioned, my results have generally been consistent (within a range I consider acceptable on a non-medcial device). I suspect that the iPhone is affected more by where and how you carrier it than the wearables. I don't yet have a strong sense of exactly what those factors are yet. I've used an app called Moves since before motion co-processors. It uses GPS as well as the M7 and is very good at determining things like cycling even on an iPhone 5S. I think you may be on to something when you say it's more a software issue than hardware.

Now, if I could only get the Health app working properly on my phone again......

Oct 31, 2014 7:18 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Wristband Manager - Fitbit & Jawbone UP companion and sync to HealthKit by Sunny Studio

https://appsto.re/us/AGHfS.i

Let me know if the link doesn't work … I believe it was quickly written just recently, just to import data from certain wearables that don't talk to HealthKit.

The Fitbit app does allow using the motion chip instead of their tracker, and I have friends who've said their step counts were pretty consistent & accurate. Here on the board, I've seen people saying theirs are both too high and too low; what I'm searching for is a way to reset or calibrate the M8, since it sounds like it's capable of tracking accurately. Regarding calories burned, I know it can't be perfect but Fitbit's was good enough to benefit me in the past. I think if I can get the M8 tracking properly, then the calories burned estimate would be close enough to work for me.

Thanks,

Karell

Nov 1, 2014 12:57 PM in response to Karell

Karrell, The link works! Thanks very much that is extremely useful. Unless the fitbit program actually uses the data from the M8 chip differently, I would be surprised if setting your FitBit to use that as the source of its data improves its accuracy. With that said it should be easy enough to compare the FitBit step number from the FitBit app using the iPhone's sensor with the native number from the iPhone M7 chip (you might have to find an app that pulls this data from the Health App, because otherwise the Apple Health App might be getting inputs from multiple sources and not tell you what it pulled from the chip itself). If you do this and get a DIFFERENT number please let me know, I am curious. I also have a friend who builds health monitors and chips and may ask him if he knows how the data is reported. I am betting that the M7 and M8 provides raw data, but that what is being provided to apps is software processed using an Apple derived algorithm that may not (being generous here) be as good as FitBit's algorithm.

Meg, Completely agree Calorie counting is very crude at best and I'm not sure which algorithm is best. I think the heart rate is a better method. What is most useful is to get some consistency in the way its is measured so you can determine what works for you. So in other words if you are negative 1000 calories and still not losing weight you need to go more negative or at least begin thinking that perhaps there is something else that needs to be done. Most people forget that unless you are exercising a **** of a lot (ie more than a few hours a day) MOST of your calories burned are NOT from your exercise but from your basal rate. Therefore you are actually much more effective in losing weight by calorie restriction (very hard to do) and doing things to change the basal rate (ie strength building exercises (yes I know that sounds counterintuitive, but muscle burns weigh more basal calories than fat).

I would be very interested in knowing how any of you reconcile your observations with the article below which suggests that the 5s with the M7 actually tracked very close to a FitBit and UP.

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/12/19/how-the-iphone-5s-measures-up-as-a-fitness-tracke r/

My only explanation is the observation (not with sufficient data points) that the following may be happening:

1. iPhone tracking software (emphasis on the software) has been optimized for getting steps from regular repetitive walking and/or running
  2. iPhone tracking software works especially well when the iPhone is on an Arm Band and reasonably well when placed on a holster (which is what I do on my waist)
  3. iPhone software probably does a much poorer job when the thing is in your pocket (ie sensitivity for defining a step is too low and misses steps)
  4. iPhone software probably is not well designed to count steps when they are of different weight, different torque (ie turning, changing directions, odd positions around the house)
  5. To the extent that your steps are inside the house or in the office the software is not properly calibrated and will undercount (this would mean that the more your steps are from a run the closer the devices will be, it also means if you put the thing on an arm band you might get better results)

These are just guesses. The other possibility is that one or all of us have a bad M7 or M8 sensor and should get the thing replaced (don't know how to determine this for sure).

Based on this article the FitBit uses a three dimensional accelerometer. Do you know whether the M7 or M8 is three dimensional this would explain why the FitBit might be better around the house/office etc.

Nov 1, 2014 1:33 PM in response to hansolo415

I'm sorry, I thought I'd already said that I've done that comparison at least a dozen times, and the motion chips have always given me drastically low and inconsistent results. Fitbit can't pull from its tracker and iPhone simultaneously, but it's easy enough to go into Health, take its total steps & subtract what Fitbit reported. I know iPhone is giving accurate counts for many people … internally consistent and reasonably close to Fitbit's count, but it's not working for me (and never has). The article is probably accurate for the majority, but that doesn't actually help me. I've created a support ticket with Apple to find out if the motion chip can be reset or recalibrated, but I won't be able to call in until later today. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

Karell

Nov 1, 2014 3:45 PM in response to Karell

Karell,

Yes I know that your tests like mine consistently show a lower read for iPhone than the FitBit.

The article I showed above http://www.tuaw.com/2013/12/19/how-the-iphone-5s-measures-up-as-a-fitness-tracke r/ seems to support the idea that the iPhone should provide data similar to that of the FitBit, however, my read of it is that this is true when they are wearing the iPhone on an armband (probably the most ideal location to measure movement given the torque of your arm) and when doing a consistent and regular activity like running, treadmill, walking, etc. I can imagine that any start and stop might result in a re-calibration calculation that loses a step or two before it realizes that this is a real step. Not a big deal for a 3 mile run, but a huge deal when you are at home. At the bottom of the article he describes a 13,800 step day for which the iPhone only registered about 8,800 steps (sound familiar?). He claims that this is because at home he would sometimes forget to keep the iPhone with him. Now the step difference described which is about 5,000 steps easily represents 3 miles. That is a HUGE difference. He also notes that he doesn't use it on his arm at that point. I think it more likely that 1-2,000 of those steps are his failure to keep the device on him and the remainder is that the iPhone simply is not as sensitive when used in a different location on the body and for constantly changing and varying activities with different movements and rotations. In other words, I am going to bet there is nothing wrong with our iPhone motion chips. Sadly I think it is likely the Apple Genius people won't know much either (I asked them the other day and got this "Huh, oh it measures steps by itself..." I think they aren't up to date on this yet so unless you are lucky and get someone who really took the time to look this up you likely won't get a useful answer. You might do better simply calling Apple that way they can at least try to refer it to someone more knowledgeable.

Based on the link below the FitBit uses a three dimensional accelerometer. Do you know whether the M7 or M8 is three dimensional this could explain why the FitBit might be better around the house/office etc?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitbit

I'd hate to think that the M7 M8 are simply not as good and doubt that this is the case, but perhaps if they aren't three dimensional they might not be as accurate. Who knows?

When I am comparing the Fitbit to the iPhone the iPhone is almost always on a holster by my waste and occasionally in my pocket, the Fitbit is always on my headset which is around my neck or in my pocket. Generally I find the FitBit is most accurate when in a pocket, on my shirt neck, but NOT hanging around my neck so if anything I would think the iPhone positioning should be in its favor.

Karell if you are able to wear the thing on an arm band all day and see if the measurement is closer to the FitBit that would be helpful to know. Also I would be interested in knowing if you find as I do that if I go for a walk and check both the FitBit and the iPhone for steps, that they are a LOT closer and sometimes within 10-20 steps.

Thanks

iPhone 6 Plus M7 Chip Step Data Accuracy OFF compared to FITBIT One

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.