Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite Upgrade - iMac mid-2011 - Stuck on white progress bar screen at about 50%

I have a mid 2011 iMac. I started the upgrade to Yosemite about 4 hours ago. For the last 3 and 1/2 hours it's been "stuck" at the white progress bar screen at about 50%. I hear the harddrive occasionally do reading/writing, but it isn't doing a lot just a tiny bit. I've seen others post across the net with similar situations, but no solutions. I'm willing to wait, but would love to know if it's actually proceeding or simply in some infinite loop.

Anyone know how to tell if it's in a loop or proceeding?

Anyone have any ideas on things to try?

I really don't want to try and interrupt the upgrade, but it doesn't appear it's going to complete.

Ideas?

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

Perry

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Upgrade Stuck

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 10:28 AM

114 replies

Oct 17, 2014 11:19 AM in response to mlb1975

Hmm. If you don't have a lot of stuff outside of /Users and /Applications that have been installed through non-Apple mechanisms then I'm at a lose, but that has been the best guess so far as the cause of the excessive delays.

I should say that after 16 hours the iMac I described in that thread did finish. So perhaps you should see what happens if you just wait it out.

Oct 17, 2014 12:41 PM in response to jtaormina

I'm not recommending this to anyone, just thought I'd report on what worked for me:

- Let Yosemite upgrade sit at the white progress bar screen at 50% for 4 hours.

- Once I was nearly positive it wasn't doing anything like writing to the hard drive...

- Held power button for 10 seconds to turn computer off

- Waited about 10 seconds again

- Turned power on and held Command R (It took about 3 minutes to boot)

- Clicked on WI-Fi symbol on upper right and turned off Wi-Fi

- Selected restart from the System menu option

- Computer rebooted and finished the upgrade

I have since rebooted (twice to be sure) and run a few things and all seems fine at this point.

Oct 18, 2014 10:08 AM in response to mlb1975

This worked for my MBP 17" mid-2010 after 10 hours of minor panic watching progress bar stuck at 50%:

Reboot and hold SHIFT key to go into Safe Mode and keep holding that SHIFT key.

*Patience is the key to the Shift key*

Keep the Shift key down.

Do not let go of Shift key until you go to Italy when the computer does its Venetian blinds thing and goes into Safe Mode.

Check whether you have any login items. Do this via via Sys Preferences > Users & Groups

It is going to be slow. You are in SafeMode.

Remove any login apps.

Run any updates for Yosemite (e.g. Pages, Numbers, Keynote) within Safe Mode.

Reboot.

Remember, YMMV

Oct 18, 2014 2:30 PM in response to mlb1975

I do the following

- Switch iMac on as usual and allow 5-10 mins for something to work.

- Press and hold the power on/off button at rear for 10 seconds and then power back on.

- You should now be up and running.

I am not sure what else to suggest or whether this is a good idea. It works for me, despite having to effectively switch it on twice its working.

Hoping some kind of update will be offered in the very near future, appears to be a great deal of these shenanigans.

Yosemite Upgrade - iMac mid-2011 - Stuck on white progress bar screen at about 50%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.