Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite safari Create new tab button.

User uploaded file

How do i add back this button ? I'm using a high resolution and when i want to create a new tab and go to one of my bookmarks, i have to jump all over the screen to create that new tab. I need this button back.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 10:51 AM

Hi ..

Try the new tab keboard shortcut instead.

Command + T

29 replies

Oct 17, 2014 5:17 PM in response to fleica

I'm feeling your pain, fleica. Installed Yosemite a few hours ago, getting used to the changes they've made. The removal of the "new tab" button is massively annoying, i relied on it so much when browsing the web - feels like I've had a limb cut off!!! Apple seriously needs to address this! Besides that so far so good, quite liking the new look and changes with Yosemite.

Oct 17, 2014 5:47 PM in response to fleica

Hi Fleica

If you go into View - Customise Toolbar... This shows all the buttons you can have on your Safari Toolbar. But on mine at the moment I do not have a "new tab button", so I believe that Apple has removed that option. But what I could find was at the top right hand corner is a plus sign, if you click that button it should open a new tab. OR you can use the shortcut command TUser uploaded file

Oct 24, 2014 1:20 PM in response to fleica

I too am flustered with the button disappearing. I know that there are other methods of opening a new tab but I really find it useful to have the 'newtab' button to the left of the address bar (I have for years dating back to firefox 3.x days).

I know there is a safari extension for "duplicate tab" that allows me to put a customized button to the left of the address bar for duplicating tabs. Even if apple won't fix their 'newtab' foley I wouldn't mind if someone much smarter than me created some similar type extension that basically puts back the ability to have a custom button whose only purpose is to launch a new tab .

This shows the extension button I installed for 'duplicate tab'

User uploaded file

Oct 28, 2014 9:24 AM in response to fleica

Most workflow is on the left, and now I have to scroll to the extreme right to open a new tab.

I'd love to see the design review notes from this one.

"Hey guys, if I remove this button, it will save us $0, get rid of a commonly used feature and make people mad"

Boss "Great, while we're add it lets use a font that old people can't see, and make it so you can't change it."

Let's call this new thing Yosemite, after Yosemite Sam, who fires in all directions and hopes he hits something.

Yosemite safari Create new tab button.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.