Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote OS X Server administration

Good day,

I did today the OS Upgrade form OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite successfully.

After that I have to upgrade my OS X Server from Mavericks Server to 4.0. All Services (Calendar, Contact, Web and Wicki are up and running. I did also update OS X Server on my OS X Yosemite workstation to remote admin the server.

So but after the upgrade I cannot connect to the server remotely. "Allow remote administration using Server" is checked. I cannot see any hint in the System Log.

Is there anything I have to double check?

I did install a second server in VM (Fusion) to compare both server...Cannot find any different...Just that I can connect to my VM server remotely just fine. And the VM OS X Server was not an upgrade form Maverichs Server.

Where do I have to start debugging?

Thanks crazyx

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 12:58 PM

10 replies

Oct 17, 2014 5:56 PM in response to clifffff

So if you are using a signed 3rd party certificate to avoid the self-signed certificate warning... It appears to be broken in 10.10. This is if you do a clean install or during an upgrade. If you have modified the com.apple.servermgrd identity preference in Keychain to use a valid 3rd party SSL cert, you will NOT be able to connect remotely using Server.app 4.0. Bug report submitted. I recommend submitting duplicates.

Still trying to determine if the process for enabling this has changed. But following procedure that worked in Mavericks does not produce same results in Yosemite.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Control and Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Oct 19, 2014 6:08 PM in response to Strontium90

Any workaround? If I set the identity preference back to the old com.apple.servermgrd certificate (which is expired), I still can't connect from a remote machine (perhaps because the cert. is expired?) and I don't know of a way to force a new one to be generated (removing both the old cert and the identity preference didn't cause a new one to be generated - which was only possible to attempt using the command line since Keychain Access wanted to crash when attempting to delete them).

Oct 21, 2014 8:37 AM in response to Daniel Luke

Workaround posted by kirdes on this other thread (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6603021?answerId=26902374022#26902374022&ac_cid=tw123456) - the thing I was missing was rebooting the server (which I usually don't do as part of troubleshooting).

sudo security set-identity-preference -n -s com.apple.servermgrd /Library/Keychains/System.keychain

sudo security delete-certificate -c com.apple.servermgrd /Library/Keychains/System.keychain

+ reboot gets a non-expired self-signed certificate back and I can connect.

Remote OS X Server administration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.