Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12 WiFi Sync with iPad/iPhone not working

Previously with Mavericks and iTunes 11, my iPad and iPhone showed up in the side bar and I could sync from the either device. With Yosemite and iTunes 12.0.1.26, neither device shows up in iTunes 12 (That I can find). Hitting Sync Now in General/iTunes Wifi Sync on an iPhone results in a continuous "Looking for John's iMac" without ever succeeding. My iMac is connected to a current gen AP Extreme via Ethernet. I have also enabled WiFi on the iMac with no luck.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

TIA

John

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Parallels for XP, Win7-64, Win8-64

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 2:23 AM

iOS 8 bug.

All you need to know it that Apple knows it for 4 months, but they just don't care. Indeed, Apple decided to sell low end products without changing the prices.

25 replies

Oct 20, 2014 9:29 AM in response to bezanilla

I would say that we can't really know if ios 8 is the proble, or itunes 12. Because I had this problem with iTunes 11. It happens sometimes and suddenly it worked.

I already submitted several bug report, bug Apple ignores them all.

So, only solution: talk with your friend about this issue. The more the people are aware of these issues, known, but ignored by Apple, the more people talk on it on internet, the more likely Apple will fix that.

But fixing the sync now, it like fixing the global warming by using a air-conditioner inside your house...

Oct 20, 2014 10:01 AM in response to JohnZonie

I was updating all of my devices to the latest and greatest last Friday and that is the last time my iPhone 5s was able to synch. The MBP is now using Yosemite with iTunes 12, the iPhone 5s is using iOS 8.0.2 and plugged into a USB port it will charge, but is not showing in iTunes. It won't synch over WiFi either. The iPad2 with iOS 8.0.2 is synching fine over WiFi though.

Pretty disappointed as moving to the latest software is normally the way to fix all the broken links, not introduce new ones.

Oct 22, 2014 7:29 PM in response to JorPet

Hi - were having the similar sync issue with ITunes 12 and Yosemite with our iphone 4 and Ipad 2. The problem has been on going for months and even with ITunes 11 and previous operating system we have not been able to sync via wifi or UBS since June. Apple are ignoring my requests and claim to call me and never do. Very frustrated. Even after upgrading to iOS8 on all devices they will not sync.

Oct 23, 2014 5:03 AM in response to JohnZonie

I think it is a strategic development step by Apple.

We cannot find any help or support to this issue, because it is no issue.

The only thing which worked was

a) outlook-Export of all calender-items and all contacts-items into files

b) send E-Mail with these files attached to your mailaccount

c) open mail on iPhone or iPad

d) install calender or contacts manually

Nov 10, 2014 6:02 PM in response to JohnZonie

I too have been having this issue for some time. For me it's after I upgraded to Yosemite. I also have an old MacBook running Lion that syncs with my kid's old iPhone4 over WiFi. I noticed that the MacBook has no problems syncing with the iPhone4. Meanwhile, my iMac running Yosemite was having other problems. Namely, its computer name keeps getting changed by having (#) appended to the end after every sleep/wake cycle. See this thread for an explanation of the symptom: computer name changed automatically

After doing some research on here and some experimentation on my own, I came up with this possible fix.

We have 3 iDevices that sync to the iMac (Yosemite). Two of them are connected to it by USB at night. The other (iPad Air) is strictly WiFi. As of the Yosemite upgrade, the iPad Air has had issues connecting to the iMac via WiFi. So today I checked on the iPad and sure enough in WiFi Sync prefs it was looking for "MyMac (3)" instead of "MyMac". I made sure the computer name on the iMac is fixed (MyMac), then connected the iPad Air to it to initiate a sync. In WiFi prefs, it now correctly points to "MyMac". I disconnected the iPad and quit out of iTunes. I relaunch iTunes and it promptly shows all 3 iDevices. I can also initiate a remote WiFi sync from within iTunes.

I'm not sure if the computer name change issue originated in Mavericks because I didn't use it for long. But for Yosemite, this seems to have fixed it for me and it beats restoring all my iDevices. Let me know if this works for you.

Nov 14, 2014 9:38 AM in response to JohnZonie

This bug is very frustrating. Ever since Wi-Fi Sync was introduced, it has always been a bit flaky. However, with iTunes 12, OS X Yosemite, and iOS 8, Wi-Fi Sync does not work with my iPhone 6 Plus over 95% of the time. (Sometimes it does work, and I get hopeful that it is resolved, but then it breaks again.) The iPhone was setup as new and not restored from backup. I have tried everything — disabling/re-enabling Wi-Fi Sync, rebooting my Mac and iPhone, resetting network settings on my iPhone, restarting my AirPort Extreme.

Strangely, my iPad Air does Wi-Fi Sync over 95% of the time.

Nov 15, 2014 4:40 PM in response to JohnZonie

I had Mavericks and upgraded to itunes 12. iTunes would not recognize the device (Iphone 4 on ios 7).

I shut down the computer and did a cold restart, fired up itunes and it would not see the device through the usb.

Then I went to my device and went to Settings>General>iTunes Wi-Fi Sync and pressed Sync now.

The device started syncing and was able to see it from iTunes.

I then turned off the wifi on my device to make sure the device was actually using the usb cable, et voilá, it is still syncing.

I hope this helps!

Nov 23, 2014 5:07 AM in response to JohnZonie

This was the ONLY solution which worked for me and I hunted high & low on Google, Apple's message boards, Bing, etc...

1. With the device connected via cable, click on its icon

2. Uncheck WiFi syncing in iTunes

3. Click Apply

4. Disconnect device from iMac

5. Power off device

6. Restart device

7. Quit iTunes

8. Re-launch iTunes

9. Check WiFi syncing

10. Click Apply

11. Disconnect device from iMac

12. Attempt to sync device in iTunes via WiFi

iTunes 12 WiFi Sync with iPad/iPhone not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.