Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite Mail is unable to list search results.

I search for an email address and nothing happens, although it says 90 messages found, keeping the same Inbox list as before. Any suggestions? Is this a bug?

John

OS X Yosemite (10.10), Mail Searches

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 2:25 PM

54 replies

Oct 17, 2014 5:55 PM in response to frjohn

I'm having the same problem? No search results in Mail. Blank. Empty. "No messages found".

It doesn't matter if the mailbox is still on the server (IMAP) or saved On My Mac in a mailbox folder. I tried a Mavericks fix . . . deleted all the files with name starting "envelope" from Users/"my name"/Library/Mail/V2/Data and then Mail reindexed all my messages, but then still cannot search messages within the Mail app afterwards. Spotlight search results do show mail, but I cannot search within the mail app.

If I can't fix soon I'll have to uninstall and go backwards to a time machine backup. I can't work without the ability to quickly search thousands of emails.

Oct 19, 2014 7:33 AM in response to David Hardt

The same happened to me. In general Mail is not even able to show me anymore flagged items.

I tried to delete ALL folders and files in Library/Mail folder and reimport all accounts into the system. This helped but only for one day, so it looks like there's a bigger problem with mail, and it happens not only in case of migrating old emails into the new version of Mail.

I think this is quite crucial to many of users...

Oct 19, 2014 10:28 AM in response to dpdpdp

That's quite interesting because I didn't have this bug at all in Maverick. For me it came just after installing the Yosemite upgrade. Did you try to install fresh system? I'm thinking about doing a backup of my data and then installing fresh version of Yosemite without any settings which could break the mail (so no use of TimeMachine either).

Oct 19, 2014 10:33 AM in response to piteer1

What haven't I done ... Yes, both in Mavericks and in Yosemite, I tried installing fresh versions of the OS, with the same result. After fresh-installing Yosemite, Mail worked the longest stretch it had worked in a long time -- about a day and a half. But as always, the problem recurred.

(My "canary in the coal mine" for the problem is a bunch of flagged messages, which show up in the Flagged smart mailbox when Mail is behaving. At the moment there should be 12 of them, and I can literally watch as the number icon next to the smart mailbox name goes down and down, until it disappears entirely when Mail finally thinks there are no flagged messages at all.)

Oct 19, 2014 10:35 AM in response to frjohn

Any of you reindexed Spotlight?

This is the “easy” method: Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes

However, sometimes that doesn’t work and you must erase the entire index in Terminal

sudo mdutil -E /

The sudo command will ask for an Admin password, but you won’t see it when you type.

The rest of it erases the Spotlight index on the startup volume.

It will automatically reindex once it is erased. You should likely do it at the end of the day to let it reindex depending on the size of your hard drive.

Oct 19, 2014 11:03 AM in response to frjohn

Hi all; Thanks for your replies.

piteer1: yes, the same with me, I didn't have it before, problem occurred after I upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite.

I did wipe out the Spotlight index and reindexed using both the Apple recommended method and also the app Cocktail (which I'm guessing uses the "sudo" command). Both methods worked but restored mail searches using Spotlight or the Finder only. They did not restore searches within the Mail app. The only solution that has worked so far is to use Time Machine to restore my entire system back to Mavericks, but that defeats the whole purpose, doesn't it? That really isn't a Yosemite fix!

I broke my own golden rule: Never install a new version of OS X or iOS as soon as it's released. Always watch user comments for bugs and wait for the first update.

Yosemite Mail is unable to list search results.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.