Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firefox crashes after installing Yosemite

I installed Yosemite last night and almost the first thing I noticed was that Firefox would crash when it opened. I loaded it into safe mode and removed all my add-ons hoping that might help, but it still crashes. I uninstalled it as well, but I'm still getting the crashes. I have the latest version installed, but for now I can't use it much unless it's in safe mode. Has anybody had the same issue, or would anybody have any suggestions on what the issue might be?

I'm using an iMac running Yosemite 10.10 with a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 7 processor with 32 GB of RAM. Firefox is version 33.0.

Thanks for any and all help.

Mike

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 5:00 PM

26 replies

Oct 17, 2014 5:35 PM in response to sparty83

I have tested Firefox 33.0 and it seems to work on Yosemite.

Does it crash right away? Crashes when you try to access an URL?

I had a similar problem with Safari, it was solved when I cleared the browser cache but I don't know how to do that in FFox

One thing you could try is opening a new private window (<shift><command>N)

Oct 18, 2014 4:04 PM in response to sparty83

Hi,

Same for me.

Now, with Yosemite, every time I launch Firefox 33.0, it crashes after like 10-20 seconds of browsing.

Even without browsing, just launching it, trying to go to settings, it opens the window... then crashes.

So... can't use it at all.

I tried reinstalling it, launching it in safe mode (without plugins), deleting profile etc.

Same every time : crashes.

(Using a mid-2009 MBP 2,53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8Gb RAM OSX 10.10)

Alexis

Oct 20, 2014 11:29 AM in response to sparty83

Here is what helped for me:

I created a new profile by backing up

/Users/myname/Library/Application\ Support/Firefox/Profiles

simply by adding ".bak":

/Users/myname/Library/Application\ Support/Firefox/Profiles.bak

and restarting Firefox.

It worked fine.

Then I stepwise copied back my places, keys etc as listed in

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/recovering-important-data-from-an-old-profi le#w_your-important-data-and-their-files

On my way I found that all the hangs and forced shutdowns had destroyed my places.sqlite - when I finally recovered the original file copying it from my HD-Backup it worked perfectly fine.

Afterwards I started reinstalling addons. noscript, adblock plus, greasemonkey worked so far, I'll check for the rest of them later.

Firefox crashes after installing Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.