Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 local echo on incoming call from landlines

I have an iPhone 6, 128GB, iOS 8.0.2 on T-Mobile. When I receive a call from a landline, I hear my voice echo back to me. The other end of the call sounds fine to those calling me. I have had people call me from landlines from different areas around town to get different phone exchanges and I still get the echo. I don't get an echo when I receive a call from a cellphone, ISDN or VoIP phone, or SKYPE. The iPhone was reloaded with iOS 8.0.2 with help from the Apple online chat and before restoring any apps or configurations, I still get the echo problem. I took this to the Genius Bar at the Apple store and we could duplicate the problem. We tried a different iPhone 6, 128GB with my T-Mobile SIM with the same results. T-Mobile even changed my SIM before I went to Apple. This problem was also on iOS 8.0. This problem was referred to Apple Engineering.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.0.2, 128GB T-Mobile

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 6:39 PM

17 replies

Oct 20, 2014 10:55 AM in response to skymon2

Yes I'm on T-mobile. My wife has the iPhone 6 with no problems at all. I've had an iPhone 5 and Nexus 5 with no problems at all. Must be an iPhone 6+ issue on T-mobile. I've tried turning off wifi calling thinking that was it then tried a clean install on the phone with no luck. I'm hoping on the 8.1 update today to have a cure

Oct 20, 2014 3:59 PM in response to stevenremote

Same here. I loaded 8.1 and I still get the echo on incoming calls from a landline. I can call the landline back and I don't get the echo. Odd thing. The 3rd time I tried it, I got the echo on the first couple of words and then it stopped. It seemed to fade away on the third word. This happened twice. Then back to constant echo on the next incoming call. I had a couple of people call me from different locations and got the echo each time. I once again verified that I don't have the echo problem on incoming calls from a cell phone. I have an iPhone 6. Calakato said that his echo is on an iPhone 6+ but his wife's iphone 6 is OK. I am guessing that both are on T-Mobile. I am not using WiFi calling and I also turned off "Phone" under Cellular Settings - didn't help. I going to try to follow up with my open case that was referred to Apple Engineering on Oct 2nd.

Oct 20, 2014 5:13 PM in response to skymon2

I called 800-MYAPPLE and talked to a Sr Adviser. It appears my case was not escalated to Apple Engineering. He called me from his landline and I did not hear an echo. But he is calling long distance and that type of connection is not a complete wired connection end to end so maybe that is not a good test. All my local landline tests across town (Denver, CO area) has produced an echo of my voice on my end only. The Apple Retail Store and T-Mobile both heard it. I mentioned that one person on this thread said that his wife's iphone 6 was OK but that his iphone 6+ had the echo problem. So this appears to be one of those odd issues that may be hardware or it may be the carrier. The Apple Adviser is going to do more checking and get back with me tomorrow. I mentioned that if Apple thought this was a T-Mobile issue, then I would still need help proving it. Meanwhile, everyone with this echo issue, please open a case with Apple if you haven't already.

Oct 21, 2014 10:28 PM in response to skymon2

You are not alone! I have a 6 Plus on T Mobile with their own router for wifi calls at home. I first noticed an echo before the router was even hooked up at home on standard wifi. 8.1 has not done anything.

Have any of the T Mobile customers noticed an increase in dropping calls in wifi? It happens all of the time to me at home!

So now the question comes up is it a T Mobile carrier issue or an Apple software problem?

Oct 22, 2014 10:48 AM in response to Indeemac

I have not heard back from the Apple Sr Adviser yet. This morning, every call from my home landline, which always had an echo, worked better. When I answer, my first word (hello) echos back to me, then it stops. Tried this several times from a wired phone and a cordless phone at my home. This initial echo happens when I am called from my home landline when I am at home and when I am at work. This one or two word echo has happened only once before about a week ago, then the full echo returned. It appears something may have changed today. I called T-Mobile this morning. They do not have any reports about this problem but they do have a voice quality open case in my area that may be related to a transport problem. It has been open a couple of days. I gave them my Apple case number and they are going to submit a service request to the T-Mobile Engineering Dept. I was told that T-Mobile Engineering could contact Apple with my Apple case number. I was given a 72-hour resolution time. I am in the Denver, CO area with CenturyLink as my home phone service provider.

Oct 26, 2014 3:09 PM in response to skymon2

Still not heard back from Apple. T-Mobile says the transport trouble was fixed. I mentioned that I still have an echo issue so they opened a new ticket. The last few days my echo issue changed as I mentioned in the Oct 22nd post. It continues to act the same where I hear my hello echo back to me when I answer, then the echo stops for the rest of the call. This has been consistent the last few days. This is an improvement. Maybe this is related to the transport issue T-Mobile had been working on in my area. If it is, then what is causing this echo issue for everyone else? Summary: The day I called T-Mobile and was told that they were working on a Transport problem causing a voice quality issue is the day my echo changed from the entire call to just the initial answer.

Dec 9, 2014 7:31 AM in response to skymon2

Hello. Have you heard back from Apple? I am having the same issue with my new iPhone 6 Plus. It happens when I call or receive calls from landlines. I have replaced the SIM card and reset the phone but neither helped. I spoke to T-Mobile Customer Service yesterday. They were not aware of this problem but are now escalating my ticket to T-Mobile Engineering. T-Mobile Customer Service asked T-Mobile Engineering to work with Apple Engineering. They said I should have an answer in 3-4 days.

Jan 14, 2016 9:36 PM in response to skymon2

This is happening to me also. I have an iPhone 4S and am on 7.1. I don’t think it is the operating system. There are lots of chats about this and not just with iPhone. From what I can remember, it only happens when talking on land lines. I am taking it up with my carrier to see if there is anything going on there.

good luck

iPhone 6 local echo on incoming call from landlines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.