Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded to Yosemite and can no longer remote into my work iMac through screen sharing- it is turned on in settings?

My screen sharing functionality did not show up in the dock with an updated icon. It had a question mark- shows my connections but nothing works, I did make sure screen sharing is on and also connected to VPN. Once I tried to launch screen sharing nothing happens. Such an elegant solution in Mavericks not does not work. Ugh. Help!

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 8:04 PM

I'm having the same issue and wondering if a difference in OS versions is the culprit (one running Yosemite, the other on Mavericks). Worked fine prior to the Yosemite upgrade.

62 replies

Oct 17, 2014 9:04 PM in response to HawkManIA

I believe the location of the "Screen Sharing" app has changed, which explains why if you had it in the dock it has been replaced by a ?

Don't forget you can launch screen sharing (once your VPN connection is up) by typing in the Safari destination slot vnc://remotemachinename:portnumber (omit the :port number if you are using the default VNC port, 5900). This should launch Screen Sharing and put its icon in the dock. You can drag the Screen Sharing icon to the left of your dock and it will hopefully remain there after you exit Screen Sharing, or you can right-click on the icon when it's running and select Options->Show in Finder to find out its new location and drag its icon to the permanent entries in your dock.

Hope this helps; worked for me.

Oct 20, 2014 8:32 AM in response to HawkManIA

I have two Yosemite machines, one is a MacMini. It has Screen Sharing turned on, but when I try to connect from machine A to machine B I keep getting an error message to turn screen sharing on.

User uploaded file

Again, as far as I can tell, on the computer I am trying to connect to, I have it setup correctly, and this was working prior to updating both machines to Yosemite last week.

Oct 20, 2014 2:45 PM in response to HawkManIA

I'm having the same problem here too. I upgraded to Yosemite on my home system but not at my office. The office computer is still running 10.8.5 for software reasons. I did notice at home that once I upgraded all the our macs they started to show up in my sidebar for screen sharing. It could be the OS difference anyone able to confirm this?

Oct 20, 2014 2:55 PM in response to filthy D

This is the post that got me set up- I too am running an older version at work vs. Yosemite. As soon as I followed is advice everything worked.

Upgraded to Yosemite and can no longer remote into my work iMac through screen sharing- it is turned on in settings?

I believe the location of the "Screen Sharing" app has changed, which explains why if you had it in the dock it has been replaced by a ?

Don't forget you can launch screen sharing (once your VPN connection is up) by typing in the Safari destination slot vnc://remotemachinename:portnumber (omit the :port number if you are using the default VNC port, 5900). This should launch Screen Sharing and put its icon in the dock. You can drag the Screen Sharing icon to the left of your dock and it will hopefully remain there after you exit Screen Sharing, or you can right-click on the icon when it's running and select Options->Show in Finder to find out its new location and drag its icon to the permanent entries in your dock.

Hope this helps; worked for me.

Oct 20, 2014 6:21 PM in response to filthy D

Same issue here. B2MM connect fine on the same LAN, but when the two computers try over the internet, it errors out. The machines show up in each other's sidebar, but it won't connect.

The only way I can screen share, is to setup port forwarding on my Airport Extreme, and also know the WAN address of the computer I am trying to reach. And it works fine.

I think this has something to do with how Yosemite works with the Airport Extreme. Just a guess.

Oct 27, 2014 8:02 AM in response to Gregory EH

Clearly, this is a Yosemite bug. Only a problem after upgrade - I recall similar problems after Mavericks upgrade. I changed a few settings based upon the Apple documentation; but I still can't connect. At least my travel computer can see the remote computer now - it just fails to connect when I click screen sharing. What is working is VNC connection (which you can enable from the screen sharing options in Computer Settings). The only concern is you have to know the remote computer's IP address and set up port forwarding. I have a transporter on my system so I can always determine my IP address even if it changes. Is it just me or does Yosemite have a lot more annoying issues than any of the previous "upgrades?"

Oct 31, 2014 11:33 AM in response to SCGerber

I have a similar problem. I cannot connect to my Mac remotely (i.e. not on the same network) via back to mac or any other mechanism. My Macs are connected to a airport base station (which I CAN connect to) but I cannot SEE (finder window) nor connect to the macs. The other comment here is this is intermittent. Sometimes when I power cycle the airport base station I can see the mac remotely for about 12-24 hours and than once again it disappears. Anyone find a solution please let me know also, big problem for me not being able to connect remotely to my machines!!!

Nov 19, 2014 9:54 AM in response to debhan_iitk

Same issues for me, all my machines are running the same version of yosemite.

Screen sharing using the finder window and clicking 'share screen' on a share device/computer works fine. But if I save a connection to the desktop and then try to open it I get the error that it can't talk to my machine. This is different behavior from before.

I also can't seem to use a third part VNC program to connect either.

My yosemite settings are correct in that it is set to allow VNC clients so I am at a loss. My router configuration is unchanged. The MacOSX firewall settings are also correct as far as I can tell.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.