Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite compatibility with microsoft word 2008

I had held off on upgrading to Mavericks because of the issues surrounding the compatibility with Microsoft Word 2008. I am a student and need to use Word to do my work as well as having all of my current documents, including my thesis, in 2008 format. I don't want to risk losing the information or the ability to do my work and I was wondering if there is any information about whether the issue of compatibility with this version had been fixed. I don't have the means to buy a new version of Microsoft but would very much like to be able to update my system since I am still using Mountain Lion.

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 10:35 PM

22 replies

Oct 18, 2014 3:06 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi Leroy -- you seem to know what you're talking about but I just wanted to confirm; your old copy of Word 2008 worked OK after you did the Yosemite upgrade? As I recall, I found last time that it *didn't* work if I did a clean install and tried to add the program again, but it worked fine if I pulled the old docs and applications off a backup. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if it was Mavericks or my new Air, though.

bill

Oct 21, 2014 1:52 PM in response to Genuinely Scary

I just upgraded toYosemite on my Mac air, and all my 2008 version Word .docx documents have lost formatting and come up all in miniature with a strange work face. I agree this was very scary, as I'm working on dissertation. Luckily, documents were stored in dropbox so I can access on my computer running Mountain Lion, but this needs to be fixed!!! I would be fine with buying the new version of Word if that would solve the problem, but others can't do this. I'm sending Apple a message--hope the rest of you having difficulties do too.

Oct 21, 2014 2:24 PM in response to kathryn1515

OK, apparently freaked out too soon. After some time, the docx Word documents starting opening with the right formatting, though now I'm still a bit insecure. Maybe it just takes some time for everything to process through new system?? However, the icons are blank (just white) for docx documents now, and that hasn't healed itself. Interesting, there never was a problem with doc documents: either with formatting (opened normally) or with icons, which look normal now.

Oct 21, 2014 2:29 PM in response to kathryn1515

There has been a better and free alternative to old versions of MS Word and MS Office since forever. Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 is the latest version of a free and complete All-In-One document processor, spreadsheet, drawing, presentation, database, & formula software, found here: http://www.openoffice.org

It also reads, writes and translates MS Word, saves in many formats, and is pretty easy to use. It's entirely modern and compatible with all the latest Mac operating systems. Good luck.

Jan 27, 2015 1:15 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi Leroy, I just had a refurbished hard-drive put (by professionals) into the iMac I bought new from the Apple shop in 2008, and am now running Yosemite, with Word 2008, and am bumping into "compatibility mode" issues: can't make changes to Word docs I need to make changes to! So what should I do exactly? Thanks in advance for your assistance you can offer.

May 19, 2015 4:11 AM in response to melston

Maybe track changes is the problem. I put off upgrading to Yosemite until a week or so ago and Word has been locking and crashing on a lot of important documents, but not all... I took my Macbook Pro to the Genius Bar yesterday and after almost 4 hours I had a complete reinstall of Yosemite...and no difference at all re: the Word problem. Grrrr.

Yosemite compatibility with microsoft word 2008

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.